View RSS Feed

Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine

03/01/14: Glens Falls Masters Meet

Rate this Entry
Plans for easy swimming on Wednesday or Friday morning didn't happen. I did go snowbaording yesterday - had a lot of fun with temps in the teens and lots of sunshine. Lina from Germany made it down from the top of the moutain twice! It was her first year boarding and we celebrated with a stop to the Waffle Cabin

I met with the Masters crew this morning, getting in this easy swim:
- 200 Fr/200 IM drill/200 Bk
- 4 x 50 kick
- 8 x 25 drill
- 5 x 50 on 1:15 (odds= EZ, evens = fast)
- 200 w/d
(Masters/Rec/1450 yards/40 min)
----------------------------------

GregJS got out and we met at my house with my wife and headed to Glens Falls, NY, for their Masters meet today at the high school pool. This was actually my first pool meet in NY, as I tend to be working on the weekend of the meets over there, and we met with Steve and some of the Pittsfiled, MA, swimmers, as well as getting to know our ADMS peers during the meet.. The drive is about 75 minutes from home, so we got in some warmup there (I did 1100 yards, including some sprints from the blocks).

The meet was run mixed and last just over two hours from the 2pm start. I picked my events with the plan to get a little rest and easy swimming in and it worked well, altough I knew that after my first event (2bk) coupled with boarding yeasterday my legs would be fried, so I picked two 50's and a 100 to cap the meet. I'll update with official results later, but I posted some really great swims that I am excited about:
-200 Bk = 2:10.9
- 50 fly = 26.9
- 50 free = 24.6
- 100 free = 52.9

(Got in another 700 yards between warm up and cool down)

I love these mini meets because you can watch as some folks are hitting the blocks in their first meet, and others are getting close to PB's as they cruise through the water. Steve, a former coach for the Maruarders in town, did the 500 for this first time in 40+ years, clocking a well executed time under 9 minutes. I was beat in the 50 fly by Patrick, and got to watch Greg swim his first 200 breast, even splitting it with a 2:44. While Dan from Pittsfield was out due to illness, Steve was there to help lead a group. I also talked with Denny, who finished right in front of me at Betsy Owens 2mile cable swim in August.

The water was clear and cool for a meet that was very well run. I highly recommend this event if you are able to attend in the future, and hopefully my work schedule will allow me to make it again next year. Greg had great swims and my wife was able to put a dent (15 chapters) into a book she is reading (it would take me a month to read that much!). We stopped for a bite to eat on the way home, a super day!

Submit "03/01/14: Glens Falls Masters Meet" to Digg Submit "03/01/14: Glens Falls Masters Meet" to del.icio.us Submit "03/01/14: Glens Falls Masters Meet" to StumbleUpon Submit "03/01/14: Glens Falls Masters Meet" to Google

Comments

Great meet. Congratulations.
    Always great (and educational) to watch you racing, making those amazing times look so easy. Thanks again for doing the driving, being encouraging as ever, and helping me strategize that 200. Even if I wasn't quite able to carry it out, having a plan in mind going into it helped steady my nerves - which is probably more than half the battle. Looking forward to our meet in Benn. next month!
    Nice 200 back time.
    I agree, that is a great 200 Back time.
    Thanks, guys. Those times are all close to taper PBs from a couple of years ago, so I am excited.