Saturday, March 1, 2014, Lee County FSG Swim Meet
by, March 2nd, 2014 at 11:16 PM (892 Views)
SCY@San Carlos Community Pool
75° Sunny, Humidity 58%, Water 81°
Florida Senior Games Swim Meet - Lee County
While not a USMS sanctioned event, this local meet provided an opportunity to get some timed swims off the blocks and hang out with friends. The meet started at 11am and ended about 1:15pm leaving not much time in between events for warm down and rest. I was ready for that, and was prepared to do my events as a quality workout. I did about 3000 yards of pre-meet sets, then EZ 300-400 between events and a 1000 yards of warm down after the last event.
One goal for this meet was to reset my expectations and focus for swimming competitions. When switching from casual lap swimming to training workouts in early 2012, I made solid gains in training proficiency, but after a successful first competition, an OW 5K swim in April 2012, I struggled with each of the OW, LCM, and SCM competitions I have done since then.
200 FR: (2:15) 2:10.9, 32.6/33.1/32.9/32.4
- I still get a bit anxious, before getting on the block, my HR was already 130. The first 50 was very smooth, easy and steady, but the stroke tempo felt off, breathing was awkward, and flip turns were slow, shallow breaking out early.
- As slow as I attempted to pace the first 100, I still became more tired than expected where it was sluggish to get going on the 3rd 50, as the 64 year old swimmer in the next lane caught up passing me on the flip turn into the final 50. Dead tired, and not able to increase my tempo, I switched to a catch up style rhythm closing the gap to get even but was touched out at the end.
100 IM: (1:15) 1:08.4, 14.6/15.7/21.6/15.5 (30.3/37.1)
- Took the fly out light and easy, but my backstroke was clumsy and too flat with the sun in my eyes, as I feared hitting the lane line.
- Worst ever breaststroke with very little help from my legs. A 22 second BR split is not acceptable (at least not for the next several years), so I will need to work on that kick.
- The FR finish was only good enough to keep from getting passed. There was no power left, so a sluggish sloppy stroke is how it felt.
50 FR: (26.9) 26.3, 13.2/13.1
- Back on the blocks just after my 50 fly warm down swim, the goal was to go out smooth and steady, then come back strong.
- Again the stroke felt rough, tired, and not the same I as swim in workouts. But the second 25 split is positive.
50 Fly: (29.8) 28.9, 14.4/14.5
- Again, stayed in the warm up lane for my 50 Fly after doing the 50 FR.
- Similar to the 50 FR, I had a slow start because I was not looking at the strobe start light. When there is water in my ears, instead of being only hard of hearing, I am deaf. It is my fault I should have been looking at the starter.
- The goal was go out easy, come back with a second 25 under 15 seconds, which I did and the stroke felt smooth.
500 Free: (6:15) 6:02.1, 1:11.2/1:13.3/1:13.2/1:12.6/1:11.8
- This swim felt the best of all events I did.
- I decided I really wanted to swim the stroke I do at practice no matter how slow the time would be.
- Held the stroke count between 11.5 to 12.5. Everything was better including flip turns, breathing with still head, and streamlined body position.
As I am still in the rebuilding phase of my training, these events were a good test. I know that I need more practice and meet experience to swim in meets the way I train in workouts. I plan to attend another SCY swim meet in Sarasota in several weeks, where I will also set very basic goals and strive to enjoy each swim.