View RSS Feed

I swim, therefore I am

Saturday, March 1, 2014, Lee County FSG Swim Meet

Rate this Entry
SCY@San Carlos Community Pool
75 Sunny, Humidity 58%, Water 81

Florida Senior Games Swim Meet - Lee County

While not a USMS sanctioned event, this local meet provided an opportunity to get some timed swims off the blocks and hang out with friends. The meet started at 11am and ended about 1:15pm leaving not much time in between events for warm down and rest. I was ready for that, and was prepared to do my events as a quality workout. I did about 3000 yards of pre-meet sets, then EZ 300-400 between events and a 1000 yards of warm down after the last event.

One goal for this meet was to reset my expectations and focus for swimming competitions. When switching from casual lap swimming to training workouts in early 2012, I made solid gains in training proficiency, but after a successful first competition, an OW 5K swim in April 2012, I struggled with each of the OW, LCM, and SCM competitions I have done since then.

200 FR: (2:15) 2:10.9, 32.6/33.1/32.9/32.4

• I still get a bit anxious, before getting on the block, my HR was already 130. The first 50 was very smooth, easy and steady, but the stroke tempo felt off, breathing was awkward, and flip turns were slow, shallow breaking out early.
  • As slow as I attempted to pace the first 100, I still became more tired than expected where it was sluggish to get going on the 3rd 50, as the 64 year old swimmer in the next lane caught up passing me on the flip turn into the final 50. Dead tired, and not able to increase my tempo, I switched to a catch up style rhythm closing the gap to get even but was touched out at the end.

100 IM: (1:15) 1:08.4, 14.6/15.7/21.6/15.5 (30.3/37.1)

• Took the fly out light and easy, but my backstroke was clumsy and too flat with the sun in my eyes, as I feared hitting the lane line.
  • Worst ever breaststroke with very little help from my legs. A 22 second BR split is not acceptable (at least not for the next several years), so I will need to work on that kick.
  • The FR finish was only good enough to keep from getting passed. There was no power left, so a sluggish sloppy stroke is how it felt.

50 FR: (26.9) 26.3, 13.2/13.1

• Back on the blocks just after my 50 fly warm down swim, the goal was to go out smooth and steady, then come back strong.
  • Again the stroke felt rough, tired, and not the same I as swim in workouts. But the second 25 split is positive.

50 Fly: (29.8) 28.9, 14.4/14.5

• Again, stayed in the warm up lane for my 50 Fly after doing the 50 FR.
  • Similar to the 50 FR, I had a slow start because I was not looking at the strobe start light. When there is water in my ears, instead of being only hard of hearing, I am deaf. It is my fault I should have been looking at the starter.
  • The goal was go out easy, come back with a second 25 under 15 seconds, which I did and the stroke felt smooth.

500 Free: (6:15) 6:02.1, 1:11.2/1:13.3/1:13.2/1:12.6/1:11.8

• This swim felt the best of all events I did.
  • I decided I really wanted to swim the stroke I do at practice no matter how slow the time would be.
  • Held the stroke count between 11.5 to 12.5. Everything was better including flip turns, breathing with still head, and streamlined body position.

Comments
As I am still in the rebuilding phase of my training, these events were a good test. I know that I need more practice and meet experience to swim in meets the way I train in workouts. I plan to attend another SCY swim meet in Sarasota in several weeks, where I will also set very basic goals and strive to enjoy each swim.

Submit "Saturday, March 1, 2014, Lee County FSG Swim Meet" to Digg Submit "Saturday, March 1, 2014, Lee County FSG Swim Meet" to del.icio.us Submit "Saturday, March 1, 2014, Lee County FSG Swim Meet" to StumbleUpon Submit "Saturday, March 1, 2014, Lee County FSG Swim Meet" to Google

Updated March 2nd, 2014 at 11:26 PM by fdtotten

Categories
Masters Swim Meets / Events

Comments

You did great. With the winter you have had I would chalk this meet up as a huge success. Your times are very good and all that in two ours is awesome. Your splits throughout are very consistent indicating that despite you feeling fatigued you are actually in good shape. I am curious on your 200 how you swam so much quicker doing catchp than regular free. Do you feel like your e mechanics have a problem on free?
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    You did great. With the winter you have had I would chalk this meet up as a huge success. Your times are very good and all that in two ours is awesome. Your splits throughout are very consistent indicating that despite you feeling fatigued you are actually in good shape. I am curious on your 200 how you swam so much quicker doing catchp than regular free. Do you feel like your e mechanics have a problem on free?
    Thank you! Five events in two hours is certainly not recommended towards swimming best possible times, but I wanted to do more events than two or three. It was a tradeoff and my goal was not on the final time, but rather the splits as you mentioned.

Over the many years of casual lap swimming I had adapted to long glides in my strokes and other bad habits. But if I forced faster tempo I lost efficiency. With the CU drill I was able to train myself to hold a better EVF front end in FR. So now I seem to swim best with about a 3/4 catchup, but still no glide. This is still a work in progress to do when I am racing or very tired. But when I can remain calm, focused or relaxed and restrain my tempo pulling with a rotation, keeping my head down, I seem to get more with less.
    Great job with so much swimming in a short time period, Frank! I love the fun at mini meets, and try to pick events to catch my breath. It's great to see that you are looking forward and always learning from you competition experiences.
    Quote Originally Posted by rxleakem
    Great job with so much swimming in a short time period, Frank! I love the fun at mini meets, and try to pick events to catch my breath. It's great to see that you are looking forward and always learning from you competition experiences.
    Thank you many times! As you said, I am learning with each race, and thankful to be making progress. It really is useful and constructive to have those local one day mini-meets.