View RSS Feed

Alex's swim journal

Prepping for state meet...

Rate this Entry
by , March 4th, 2014 at 04:27 PM (212 Views)
Encouraged by my times on Sunday, all improvements over last SCY season in spite of my sporadic training, I decided that I probably could do a decent 200 and 400 IM at state, and that 200 back and 200 fly--being on different days--are also feasible. These are the events that enjoy training for the most, so I might as well go ahead and make them my goal events. I'll decide whether or not I want to do the 1650 (last event on the last day) at the end of this week, after I have a chance to do some long freestyle sets... see where my fitness is.

The results from Whitefish Bay are already in the USMS database. I'm pretty pleased with my splits in the 4 and 2 IMs. My fly and free legs are almost even (1:29 fly and 1:26 free in the 400 IM; 40+ fly and 40+ free in the 2IM)... the free should be a lot faster, but that's where my lack of conditioning is making itself felt. There and with the backstroke leg as well... there's no reason, with all the backstroke work I did last fall, that I shouldn't be swimming around 1:30/100 pace, even after the fly leg... but again, I think it's just lack of conditioning. Back and Breast are "recovery" legs in the IMs.

Took a break (that I didn't need) yesterday because I couldn't find time to get to the Y. We had our annual appointment with the accountant for taxes right after work, and then after dinner my wife and I sat down with the boys to talk about the contract that I'm probably going to be signing and sending off in the next couple of days. We're still "negotiating" with Anthony, who is finishing his senior year this semester and headed off to college next year. He doesn't want us to move... he wants to be able to come back "home." I understand. I didn't expect this to be as traumatic for him, since he won't be around for most of the year anyway, but I get it... he didn't expect that saying goodbye to his friends for college would be saying goodbye forever. Our youngest is going into high school next year and will miss a couple of good friends he has from elementary and junior high, but he's pretty much starting over next year anyway and so he's taking it in stride.

Today I decided to get my swim in over lunch and not risk missing another day by waiting until the late evening to get it in. Here's what I did:

400 EZ
4 x 100 IM on 2:00 (desc. from 1:47 to 1:37)
16 x 25 on :30 in 400 IM order
100 recovery
1:00 rest
4 x 50 fly on 1:00 (:44, :46, :46, :47)
50 recovery
4 x 50 fly on 1:00 (:46, :46, :48, :48)
50 recovery
4 x 50 back on 1:00 (:47, :48, :49, :49+)
50 recovery
4 x 50 back on 1:00 (:48, :49, :49, :50)
50 recovery
4 x 50 breast on 1:00 (:54, :57, :58, :58)
100 recovery

2600 in about an hour... tomorrow need to do some freestyle sets.

Submit "Prepping for state meet..." to Digg Submit "Prepping for state meet..." to del.icio.us Submit "Prepping for state meet..." to StumbleUpon Submit "Prepping for state meet..." to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

My parents are in the process of selling my childhood home and even though it's been a long time since I've spent any period of time there and I don't have any friends left in the area it makes me surprisingly sad. It's a lot easier to keep in touch with faraway friends thanks to Facebook, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by ekw
    My parents are in the process of selling my childhood home and even though it's been a long time since I've spent any period of time there and I don't have any friends left in the area it makes me surprisingly sad. It's a lot easier to keep in touch with faraway friends thanks to Facebook, though.
    Yeah, my folks moved into a new home right before we moved to WI fourteen years ago, and I remember the first time we went back and stayed with them; I was like "yeah, this doesn't feel like home yet." It took a few years before their "new" place felt normal to me.