View RSS Feed

After a long rest

Week 75 - Wednesday

Rate this Entry
I missed weights last night because I was so tired. Work has been kicking my butt the past few weeks; I lost a key employee last week, who is taking over his family business. I cant blame him and he is a rock star and will do great but it makes life even more challenging for my team. Anyhow, I missed weights and was inn bed asleep before 8pm last night. I had a great nights sleep and did not wake until the alarm went off this morning.

Warm up
400 free with snorkel
6x50 catchup on 45

Main sets
15x100 swum as 5,4,3,2,1 starting at 1.20 and descending 5 per round.
100 easy
8x50 2 turn 50s
4x(2x50 kick on 1min, 1x50 back AFAP on 40)
100 easy
3x50 drill on 1 min
broken 200, swum 50,100,50 with 5 seconds rest of 50 and 10 seconds rest on 100
300 easy
broken 200, swum 25,25,50,50,25,25 with 5 seconds rest on 25s and 10 seconds rest on 50s

Warm down
100 easy double arm back

Total 4250scy

I really enjoyed todays workout despite being quite tired by the end. I had zero discomfort in my left shoulder today for the first time in a couple of weeks and iced again after practice, so fingers crossed whatever I did is on the mend.

We did our 15x100 test set today however I received instructions on how Tom wants me to attack this set going forward. Over the past few months I have got to the point that I cruise all the 100s just making the send offs, until the last 1, where I now go about 58. He told me to start working the set and said I should hold mile pace until the last 3 and then drop to 500 pace. This equates to holding 1.01-1.02s and then dropping to 58-59's. I held 1.02s throughout and went 1 mins on the last 3 which I was happy with.

Todays kick set was awesome. I really worked the kick set and held 35-36s and then held 30s on the back. The broken 200s were fun and exhausting at the same time. My add up times were 1.55 and 1.54. I was doing flip turns as if this was a 200 so it was hard to get exact times on the send offs and as such the add ups could have been off significantly, but based on my start and finish times less the rest I was still happy with these today despits being significantly slower than my swim on Saturday. Despite this I am very happy with these because I was tired and this was at the end of the workout as oppossed to the beginning of the workout.

Overall a very good workout and I had a lot of fun today.

Submit "Week 75 - Wednesday" to Digg Submit "Week 75 - Wednesday" to del.icio.us Submit "Week 75 - Wednesday" to StumbleUpon Submit "Week 75 - Wednesday" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

On "4x(2x50 kick on 1min, 1x50 back AFAP on 40)", did it go like:
    • 50 kick
    • rest ~25
    • 50 kick
    • rest ~25
    • 50 bk kick
    • rest ~10
    • repeat 4x

for a 10:40 set?
    That was an impressive kick set!

8:00 pm?! You must be in bed way before your kids. As a night owl, I can't fathom it!
    Quote Originally Posted by __steve__
    On "4x(2x50 kick on 1min, 1x50 back AFAP on 40)", did it go like:
    • 50 kick
    • rest ~25
    • 50 kick
    • rest ~25
    • 50 bk kick
    • rest ~10
    • repeat 4x

for a 10:40 set?
    Not quite. The back was back stroke AFAP, not back kick. So it was 50 kick on 1 min going 35-36, 50 kick on 1 min going 35-36, 50 back stroke on 40 going 30, repeated 4 times. So it was a 600 yard set. It was awesome in a very sick painful way!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    8:00 pm?! You must be in bed way before your kids. As a night owl, I can't fathom it!
    Yes I am definately an early bird. I was not this way in college. The older I get the more and more I become an early bird. And yes I am typically in bed before my kids. My wife is awesome!!!!
    Nice brokens! The way you swam those it always helps to have a coach or someone get your accurate time on a watch. The second one must have been really tough to get it with all the stops and starts.

Did you take any extra rest on the 15x100's between each 5 or did you swim those straight through? Tough set! Right now I would just have to swim through it to make it especially the one's on 1:05 and 1:00 - those would be push and go for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by cclarke
    Nice brokens! The way you swam those it always helps to have a coach or someone get your accurate time on a watch. The second one must have been really tough to get it with all the stops and starts.
    my coach did not use a watch on the second broken but did tell me my final time. It was rough I know and he even said "darn I wish I had used my watch". Next time!!

Quote Originally Posted by cclarke
    Did you take any extra rest on the 15x100's between each 5 or did you swim those straight through? Tough set! Right now I would just have to swim through it to make it especially the one's on 1:05 and 1:00 - those would be push and go for me.
    No rest other than the send off times. So as you said at the end these were near enough touch and turn. These were harder than usual because I typically conserve energy on the first three rounds and only start ratcheting it upon the last two rounds. With the new instructions these were much tougher, which I guess is the goal. Tom said he wants me to get down to 55 as the final send off. I am not sure if I can get back to that but it sure is fun trying. Which at the end of the day is what it's really all about anyhow.