View RSS Feed

Calvin S

Friday 3/7/14

Rate this Entry
Friday 3/7

"Central Section Region VIII Championships Day #2"

There was no day #1 for me (only the 1000 was contested last night). Today was the 100 BR and the 800 FR relay for me.

100 BR - 59.85 (27.95/31.90) - I have been trying to break the 1:00 barrier in the 100 BR since I was 16. It wasn't even a good race from a technique standpoint. I was THRILLED with the time, but disappointed with the swim. I guess I have built up this moment so much that I was expecting to break a minute AND have a perfect swim. I spun my wheels and moved my head WAY too much. On a side note, after years of watching swimmers go out 27.xx or even 26.xx and still not breaking 1:00, I used to say if you spotted me ANY time under 28.00 for the first 50, I would find a way to be under the mark. My problem was never taking the race out fast enough. It's hard to put into words how relieved I am this "white whale" is dead and in my rear view mirror.

200 FR - 1:49.98 (25.06/27.33/28.59/29.00) - So I was lead-off man on the B 800 FR relay. However, due to some confusion on my part (and the officials), our heat started a little quicker than we expected (READ: NO warm-up and WORSE, NO ONE behind the blocks). Woops, so we missed the relay. Luckily the meet directors were nice enough to let us take a mulligan. Anyways, I wanted to lead off to get an official time and try to crack the 1:50 barrier flat start (I have done it several times on relays). I was definitely NOT warmed up enough for the race, but was glad I got under 1:50. Not bad considering 200 FR is one of my weakest events!

Total: ~ 5000ish

Submit "Friday 3/7/14" to Digg Submit "Friday 3/7/14" to del.icio.us Submit "Friday 3/7/14" to StumbleUpon Submit "Friday 3/7/14" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Way to go on that breaststroke! That is a very significant barrier to get under.
    Well done Coach Calvin!
    Congratulations on both swims Calvin. Good luck with the rest of your swims.
    Thanks guys!
    So glad you finally got that monkey off your back! Very nice achievement and you should be thrilled.
    Very nice 100 Breast!