View RSS Feed

Chowmi's Blog

Putting on the brakes!

Rate this Entry
by , March 10th, 2014 at 12:53 PM (451 Views)
The good news - I did get a free pair of goggles after all! They included a blue pair of vanquisher goggles. I didn't look carefully whether they were V2's or not, but who cares, free is free!!

The new suit with comfort straps will be interesting. The straps are thicker but completely smooth. It immediately reminded me of the straps that must be on those super huge cupped ladies' bras who need ginormous over the shoulder boulder holder straps.

In other news, I have been completely run down and tired. I have decided to put the brakes on and go full throttle taper sit around and talk to the coaches about my swimming mode. I would much rather overtaper and be completely out of shape, than to still be tired and not at my best for the 2 meets coming up. Awake, alert, and peppy - that is my goal. I just want to feel fully engaged and ready to give a 100% effort on race day.

Friday:
From Rich Abraham's PS favorite sets (pure speed):
8 x 25's on 1:00
12.5 fast
odd free (from dive)
even kick (pushoff)

50 fast free (29 flat)

8 x25's on 1:00
odd fly (from dive)
even fly (from pushoff)

50 fast kick - free w/board (46)

This was a good reset and quite sprinty. Coach came out on deck early, and watched/video'd all my dives and gave me pointers, so it was on more than 1 minute per, but I got a free 1/2 lesson on my dives!!!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Sunday
LCM, SMU outdoors
YIKES!!!! I have not swum LCM in a long time! I made sure I didn't overdo it.

400 warm up
10 x 50 kick w/fins 1:10 fast last 12.5 (38-41s)

Main set:
swim 4 x 50 strong 50's from a start, 1 each stroke, for the last 40 minutes or so.
fly: 36
back :41
breast :47
free :33

YIKES again! Those were not very fast at all, given I was going 92.5ish effort! But, a great starting point for LCM. It proved 2 things - 1. I was tired. Not engaged mentally to really go 100%. 2. Just plain too slow! But then again, it will be fun to drop time from there. This is my baseline set from which to improve. I ought to do this set at least once a week. I don't think it would get boring, since the alternative was to do 300, 3 x 100, 200, 3 x 100, 100, 3 x 100 so I think i'd pick 4 x 50's on 10 minutes every time!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I cleaned out my closet and took 4 big bags to goodwill. I feel so good about myself. but I completely lost steam and can't bring myself to align the empty spaces or sort the pants/tops. They're all still mismashed. Last week was a major update for my kids. I cleared out their closet, and replaced all the baby hangers with adult hangers.

Submit "Putting on the brakes!" to Digg Submit "Putting on the brakes!" to del.icio.us Submit "Putting on the brakes!" to StumbleUpon Submit "Putting on the brakes!" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

When are your meets? I'm going full throttle taper the next 5 days, starting with taking an extra day off today.

I was very happy with the TON of stuff that went to goodwill when I moved.
    I am a big fan of the long taper, especially if doing any form of heavy weight training. I think I told you before but my best masters meet ever I had a 6 week taper due to a 3 week vacation starting 6 weeks before the meet.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    When are your meets? I'm going full throttle taper the next 5 days, starting with taking an extra day off today.

I was very happy with the TON of stuff that went to goodwill when I moved.
    South Central zones 03/28-30
    AZ state meet 04/04-06

Will be swimming short burst sprints and resting from here on out!!
    Quote Originally Posted by arthur
    I am a big fan of the long taper, especially if doing any form of heavy weight training. I think I told you before but my best masters meet ever I had a 6 week taper due to a 3 week vacation starting 6 weeks before the meet.
    i can believe that! I think you really rested and changed gears mentally while on vacation! I think I stumbled into a great taper for nationals 2008, when I had my "breakthrough" swims - 24.1 and 26.6 SCY free/fly. Since my back was hurt, i'd jump in a sprint a 25 or 50, then sit out most of the workouts, and that probably was a much better taper than what I have been doing since then, which is probably too much! I find that I am not fully ENGAGED to sprint - it's like I haven't rested enough - not enough between days, sets, and not trained to go that elusive 110% when the gun goes off. I can swim an entire practice, which I was unable to do then, but I can't swim a 24.1 or 26.6 right now!
    It takes weeks of couch potatoing before I reach 110%
    Quote Originally Posted by __steve__
    It takes weeks of couch potatoing before I reach 110%
    I can understand that! Perhaps part physical rest, part self-loathing at the doing nothingness, and a large part bribery, such as "If I do this first event really, really, and I mean really fast, i'm going to get that 3 scoop sundae. And a root beer float."