incline crunches w/med ball, 2 x 25
hanging reverse crunches w/ab sling, 2 x 25
hanging straight leg raises w/ab sling, 2 x 15

5-10 minutes of stretching

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 variety warm up

Aerobic set:

Stole this set from Mr. Wolf's blog. This was the set he did with SCAQ, modified of course for my quirky training style. No fins.

3 x 150 @ 2:30
(25 UW shooter on belly, 50 kick, 50 free, 25 fly)
3 x 125 @ 1:50
(25 UW shooter on belly, 25 kick, 50 free, 25 scull)
3 x 100 @ 1:45
(25 UW shooter on belly, 25 kick, 50 free)
3 x 75 @ 1:20
(25 UW shooter, 25 kick, 25 free)
3 x 50 @ :50
free w/overkick

100 EZ

Speed work:

10 x 25 UW shooter on back w/MF
odds fast, evens easy speed w/large amplitude
10 x 25 easy speed fly w/fins @ :40 + 50 easy after
10 x 25
odds AFAP free w/fins, evens easy, no interval

200 C/D

Total: 3150

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Notes:

Weights:

I like the iso lateral high row that Elise recommended much better than the seated lat pulldown. I had stopped doing the latter much anyway in favor of the standing lat pulldown. But I like the high row and will continue to do it.

Stud scoffed at me via text for not doing pull ups. I tried to explain that I did the high rows as pulls instead. I didn't do the chins on an "interval." Didn't really know I was supposed to. :P I super-setted them with some of the crunches. I'm not that fond of strict intervals anyway -- does he think I'm a cross fitter or something? lol

I did some assisted dips for the first time ever today. Decided my shoulders could take it. Felt very odd, sort of hard on the top of my shoulders, which must be relatively weak, I guess.

Another convert to weight training: Katie Hoff, http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...051303233.html. I think I need to do more push ups ...

Swim:

Really enjoyed the SCAQ set. My backstroke felt awful in warm up. So I skipped it entirely today. This is the first time I can recall not doing backstroke in practice ... Free felt pretty good though. Tried to work the kick consistently.

Meets:

I think I'm going to have more difficulty doing the USS LC meets than I anticipated. They seem to mostly conflict with my kids' activities. I am considering the FISH Invitational at GMU on June 13-14. My daughter has a dance recital on June 13, when I was going to swim the 100 fly, so that is out. I might sign up for the 200 back on Sunday to see if this is really an event I can hack in LCM.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I haven't slept much the last two nights, so was worried that I would bonk during one or both of the workouts today. But they were felt pretty decent. I wanted to get them both in because I am leaving for Philly in a few hours for the very posh Stotesbury Regatta. (My son's boat qualified for this race by winning VA States. ) So tomorrow will be an off day instead of Saturday.

Submit "Weights + Swim, Thursday, May 14" to Digg Submit "Weights + Swim, Thursday, May 14" to del.icio.us Submit "Weights + Swim, Thursday, May 14" to StumbleUpon Submit "Weights + Swim, Thursday, May 14" to Google

Updated May 16th, 2009 at 11:50 AM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts

Comments

I hope those long intervals were because you had to get the MF on and off. 150s SCY on the 2:30? Then again, you did have 50 kick in there so I guess that's alright.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwolf66
    I hope those long intervals were because you had to get the MF on and off. 150s SCY on the 2:30? Then again, you did have 50 kick in there so I guess that's alright.
    I did the first one on 2:20. But, dude, no fins. You try doing that set with shooters at the beginning of every swim!! And, yes, I added more kicking.
    Have fun at the regatta Fort, and good luck to your son!
    Enjoy the regatta...pinky out!
    Quote Originally Posted by SwimStud
    Enjoy the regatta...pinky out!
    Totally, Cristal all around!
    I just had a diet coke ...

Fort Sons boat advanced to the semi finals!
    Huzzah! Jolly good show!