View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Albatross Meet, March 15

Rate this Entry
Made it down to VA for the Albatross SCM meet. I definitely spent more time socializing than swimming and had a great time. The meet basically went awful-great-good.

50 back, 31.4

This was the awful part. I had an uncharacteristically bad start. The starter held us a long time and I had a major flinch. I went down a bit thinking the starter would tell us to relax. I mean, I had really moved and was still moving. But then the gun went off and I thought oh crap. So I wasn't in position, got off a bit late and was too shallow on the dive. My turn wasn't my best either. I was too shallow and took a kick or two fewer than usual. The result: my worst time in 5 years in this event. It was a little disheartening, but sh*t happens. I definitely need a do over of this event sometime this year.

50 breast, 36.8, PR

I only had 30-35 minutes of rest. I find I tend to have a good race after a bad race. Or maybe my breaststroke is just improving a bit. 36.8 is my best time and only .1 off the national record. I had a great start and hit my walls pretty well. So I was extremely pleased with this swim. At least I know I'm not completely washed up yet!

50 fly, 29.6

This is a pretty good time for me, my third best and faster than I went at NE Champs in Dec. I had a great start and perfect first length. Then I was too deep on my second breakout, costing me a few tenths. I always seem to have trouble right there. I need to practice ascending the kicks more.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2 out of 3 isn't bad! I still don't feel great in the water. And 2+ months of solid training doesn't make up for 6 months of subpar training. I'm really going to keep trying to not fret about my times this year too much. I am still mulling over going to Canadian Nationals. It's about 6 hours from here. And it would probably be my last hurrah before going on my long vacations this summer. I'll see how I feel after Zones.

Submit "Albatross Meet, March 15" to Digg Submit "Albatross Meet, March 15" to del.icio.us Submit "Albatross Meet, March 15" to StumbleUpon Submit "Albatross Meet, March 15" to Google

Comments

Given all the challenges you have had with the move, pools, helping your daughter adjust, etc., I'd say this was a smashing success - to get a PR is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Given all the challenges you have had with the move, pools, helping your daughter adjust, etc., I'd say this was a smashing success - to get a PR is awesome.
    Thanks Patrick! That's how I'm trying to look at it. It is my first PR since last June.
    It's awesome to see that your breakstroke times continue to get faster. Nice job, Fort!
    I agree. Nice going this weekend!
    Quote Originally Posted by rxleakem
    It's awesome to see that your breakstroke times continue to get faster. Nice job, Fort!
    Thanks Mike. Good job to you too!

I keep tinkering with my pull. Though this time may have been a product of good walls.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    I agree. Nice going this weekend!
    Thanks James! We carry on.
    Great job
    You are a bad a$$ sprinter beast and your evil stroke is not so Evil anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by ande
    Great job
    You are a bad a$$ sprinter beast and your evil stroke is not so Evil anymore.
    Thanks Ande. No, the evilstroke is not so evil anymore. I've liked it more ever since they allowed a dolphin kick on starts and turns. But I've also been tinkering with my pull and plams down recovery.