View RSS Feed

My non-workout blog and random thoughts

So, am I a Coach???

Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Question: Am I A Coach?

This may be a dumb question, but it is something that has been in the back of my mind for quite some time.

I posted this in coaches forum and we see what the real coaches think.....

Primarily, I swim and train myself. I get up at 4:45am and I am in the water from 6:00am to 7:00am M-F and from 7:00am-9:00am on Saturday. Sometimes, friends will join me for sets and we trade calling sets.

Some of my self coaching activities:
I write my own workouts
Keep a training log
Keep a performance log
Read all I can about the sport and have a modest library
Purchased and studied Reese and Marsh's instructional DVDs
And I've read extensively about anatomy, exercise physiology and kinesiology (biology undergrad; engineering Ph.D).
I've purchased a Flip Video Camera with the underwater housing so I can video tape my stroke below the water (with the help of a friend).
And I have library of video recordings of race competitions.

I use the information to plan my swim season and to correct certain stroke and race faults. I believe that you have to concentrate on controling gross motor movements so that you can correct flaws during practice. I have a list of cards that remind me of the things that I need to fix based on watch my video taped performances. Before these gross motor movements can become automatic, they have to be burned into the proprioceptive memory (muscle memory).

I plan to conduct a simple velocity analysis on some of my video recordings of my race to find areas for improvement.

I love competing and have had some success at the national and world masters level - which why swimming has become my adult avocation.

So, can I call myself a coach?

BTW, I spent several summers coaching and served as a volunteer assistant coach for my college - back in the ancient days of mens college swimming.

Submit "So, am I a Coach???" to Digg Submit "So, am I a Coach???" to del.icio.us Submit "So, am I a Coach???" to StumbleUpon Submit "So, am I a Coach???" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I would say you are a coach and there is no better way than to experiment with yourself.

I have been in the same situation for a while but now I am actually coaching myself in the morning and have recently started coaching both a masters and kids team in the evening using what I have learned from my former coach and from my own experience.
    I would say you're a coach.

If somebody wrote my workouts, kept up on the latest methods, video recorded me, and gave me feedback, then they'd be my coach.

Based on your success, you've got a really good coach. You should throw him a Christmas party.

Keep up the good work.
    For my own part, I guess you could call yourself a coach if you want to.. but maybe a deeper question is, "why does it matter?" It sounds like you're a committed swimmer that self trains and takes your training very seriously. Isn't that "enough?"
    Another introspective question would be: whose workouts do you like to do, yours or someone else's? And whose workouts seem to prepare you best for competition?

when I wrote workouts that I did with a few friends, I didn't actually DO everything I had written! I wimped out on my own stuff. So, after 2years of writing them in advance, now I get to the pool, and we plan one on the spur of the moment - in effect no annual or seasonal plan, no coach.