View RSS Feed

Alex's swim journal

100 Free PR

Rate this Entry
by , March 24th, 2014 at 02:43 AM (146 Views)
So the last few weeks have been very inconsistent; not because of illness, work and travel as happened earlier this winter, but because I tried to come back too quickly and messed up my left shoulder. I didn't have the base, but I was going for the same intensity I had last year in the run up to the state meet.

The shoulder started hurting in the pull phase of breast stroke and I kept tweaking it during back as well. Finally it started giving out on me during fly. So I have a hiatus on all the strokes except freestyle (and a very slow backstroke) for a while. If I breathe to my left I don't have any issues with it... I've had issues with this shoulder before, it's like there's inflammation or some kind of impingement there when I build up too quickly and don't give my muscles a chance to adapt to added stress, and then I'll tweak it if I'm not being really careful and it becomes something more than just soreness or discomfort.

For today's 80 x 25 on :45 workout--the last one before state--instead of doing fly, back, and breast, I did kick with fins: SDKs, back dolphins, back kick, and then when everyone else was swimming the 20 x 25 breast set, I just alternated front and back dolphins. My legs and core will be pretty sore tomorrow... but in a good way.

I went ahead and did the 20 x 25 on :45 freestyle as full stroke... and they were pretty fast (for me--:14-:16). After the recovery swim, Jen and Scotty did a 100 IM for time off the blocks, to see where they were; I swam my time trial as 100 freestyle and PR'd, breaking 1:10 for the first time (1:08 is my new unofficial PB for SCY 100 free)... technique and speed work are paying off.

I'm still going to state, but will not swim my favorites--200 IM, back and fly; 400 IM--focusing instead on freestyle, which I can still do without hurting myself: 100, 200, 1650.

I'm not really in shape for the 1650 because I haven't had time to build a decent base or work on my pacing. I'm hoping that the gains I've made in technique over the last year will help me not be so slow. I did an EZ 1650 in the pool on Saturday (all I had time for because I got to the pool just 30 minutes before closing time); finished in 27 minutes. I put down 26 as my seed time, though I would secretly love to be around 24:45. Last year I was just over 25, so we'll see where I am.

Submit "100 Free PR" to Digg Submit "100 Free PR" to del.icio.us Submit "100 Free PR" to StumbleUpon Submit "100 Free PR" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments