View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Columbus Meet, March 29

Rate this Entry
On Friday night, I travelled over to Columbus for a meet at Ohio State University. What a sweet pool that is -- deep, cold, clear and with wide lanes. I especially appreciated the wide lanes since it was a mixed gender meet. I was with one of my Pitt swimmers who was swimming in her first masters meet (she did great), so I had some company. The meet ran a bit faster than predicted and I was grateful for a couple 10 minute breaks. On the whole, I am really happen with how things went with 3 days of hard rest.

100 breast, 1:13.4, PR

I hadn't swum this event in over a year. My last attempt was a 1:15.0, so I was hoping to slide under that that time. Imagine my shock and happiness when I saw a 1:13 on the board. The race went well. I had a great start, though turns were a bit glidey. I guess those USRPT sets worked! I think there's only one swimmer in my age group (a real breaststroker) who can beat this time, so it should hold up well. I wish I had another crack at the 50 breast this season, but it doesn't fit into my Zones lineup.

100 back, 1:02.6

I had maybe 45 minutes rest and could have used more. The race went pretty well. I wish I could have taken a couple more kicks off the wall on the third and fourth length. But my UWs are not where I want them to be right now. Still, a 1:02 without a full taper and big meet vibe is a very solid time for me and I'm happy with it.

100 free, 58.3

Ok, admit it. No one thought I would swim all three 100s. And in less than 3 hours no less! I was pretty dead after my 100 back. I definitely do not train to compete in 3 x 100s in less than 3 hours. I've never done that before. In fact, it's an extremely rare occurrence when I swim 2 x 100s in one day at a meet. But I decided to give it whirl. My plan was kick to the 15 m mark, go easy speed for the first three lengths and sprint the final length. While that was a good plan, when I got to the last length, I had nothing and felt like I staggered to the finish. I think I should be a full second faster in this event. But that wasn't going to happen under these circumstances. This is my worst and least favorite sprint event, so I'm glad I got it out of the way and I can cross it off my Zones event list. This is about the same time I swam at Zones last year (when I missed a wall), and should make top ten (channeling chowmi here).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just did an easy recovery swim today (1800) . Feeling pretty sore, though happily my shoulder seems no worse than it was pre-meet. The constant rehab exercises and icing seem to be helping somewhat.

There are now 563 swimmers entered in Zones.

Submit "Columbus Meet, March 29" to Digg Submit "Columbus Meet, March 29" to del.icio.us Submit "Columbus Meet, March 29" to StumbleUpon Submit "Columbus Meet, March 29" to Google

Updated March 30th, 2014 at 07:12 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Masters Swim Meets / Events

Comments

Always nice to get a PR! Nice swimming!
    Quote Originally Posted by scyfreestyler
    Always nice to get a PR! Nice swimming!
    Thanks! Yes, at my age, PRs are pretty darn rare.
    I'm disappointed you didn't enter 4 events to keep your scratch record alive! Now I will not have a scratch buddy to rely on.
    Hows the shoulder?
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    I'm disappointed you didn't enter 4 events to keep your scratch record alive! Now I will not have a scratch buddy to rely on.
    Hows the shoulder?
    Well, I just scratched the 100 free for Zones, so it was just a very minor blip in my scratch record.

The shoulder is still sore, but the meet didn't make it any worse. Just finished some rehab exercises and icing.
    Great meet and that's an awesome 100 breast! Did you happen to get a video of it?

I saw you post this on FB and was really surprised to see that you did 3 x 100's in such a short time. maybe you'll try the 200's combo next!
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Great meet and that's an awesome 100 breast! Did you happen to get a video of it?

I saw you post this on FB and was really surprised to see that you did 3 x 100's in such a short time. maybe you'll try the 200's combo next!
    Thanks Tim! Nope, no video. Wish I had thought about that. 200s still hold no appeal. I'm just not in the shape for them. I leave the 200 breasts to you!
    EXCELLENT SWIMS!!!!! I highly suggest doing a study of the historical 200 breast times in your age group. From my experience this weekend, it hurt waaay less than the 100 free and 100 back. I went a modest time, but if you think of it as focusing on the UWs and long glides, hey, that's another top ten for the pile!
    Crazy great 100 br Fort. I' still egging for 2IM - you would rock it and rocket.
    Quote Originally Posted by chowmi
    EXCELLENT SWIMS!!!!! I highly suggest doing a study of the historical 200 breast times in your age group. From my experience this weekend, it hurt waaay less than the 100 free and 100 back. I went a modest time, but if you think of it as focusing on the UWs and long glides, hey, that's another top ten for the pile!
    It is easier?! I dunno, I imagine paralysis setting in with three lengths to go ...

Thanks. The 100 was pretty mediocre. But I don't really care as I'd already done two solid 100s.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sojerz
    Crazy great 100 br Fort. I' still egging for 2IM - you would rock it and rocket.
    Thanks Bill! I was super pleased with the time. No 200 IM. I still remember the last one when I was in better aerobic shape -- it was nasty. I still have a 100 IM to swim next weekend, and that one hurts enough for me.
    Great meet Leslie. Good luck at your zone meet. Swim fast.