View RSS Feed

Chowmi's Blog

South Central Zone meet results!

Rate this Entry
by , March 31st, 2014 at 01:10 PM (443 Views)
Well, here is how I did!

100 free 56.34 (26.36/29.98)
Ok, this was so incredibly painful. I certainly don't train for a 100 and I have decided not to. I would rather suffer for 56 seconds once a year, rather than suffer daily training. That save me, like hundreds of hours! The cost/benefit continum is misaligned. At 55, 54, and even 53 or lower, there is no amount of 100 free training I am willing to do to improve. Unless there is some spillover effect from IM training!

50 back 29.51
Very solid, but I really thought I could go 28.99 or better. I'll continue to keep this on my main events! South Central Zone record.

50 fly 27.40
I was SUPER happy with this time!!! I really lost my fly ability after the gall bladder came out. I went a 28.3 last year and didn't even make top ten. I really only started to be able to swim 25's and 50's fly in practice around late Jan/Feb this year. I think i'm back! I am so looking forward to working down to a 26.99 or better! South Central zone record.

Scatched 200 IM

50 free split: 25.42
This was actually very strong. The official was standing right in between my lane and the next, but I guess he was really bored or something and had to get closer to the action. He'd bend over slightly when we touched, and I swear, he was totally in my space when Janie was coming in. It freaked me out, 'cause it was like, hey official, you're in my personal space! So I waited wayyy to long, and Janie was totally touching the wall and I was still standing straight up until the official got out of my space!

50 free: Scratch!
I needed all the rest for the 100 fly!

100 fly: 1:02.14 (28.84/33.30)
I was super happy with this time! I knew i'd have to be really fresh and aggressive on the first 50. The thing is, no matter how bad I do on the 2nd 50, it's going to be in the 33 or 34 range. So I need to bank all my speed on the first 50 and then bring it home. I felt really good, but slowed down more than I thought I would on the 2nd 50. New zone record. I'd like to go 28.5 or better, and then bring it home 32 range. Then i'll be in shooting distance of the 1:00.00 mark!

50 breast: 34.50
Ouch! This was quite close to the 100 fly, and I simply had nothing left. I'd say this was actually a bad swim, because I went out in 34.7 in the 100 breast at a meet the month before.

100 IM scratch
Save my energy for the 200 breast. Took 2 hot showers and made a historical analysis of top ten 200 breasts in the meantime.

200 breast: 2:44.25 (37.75/42.62 (1:20.37) 42.30/41.58 (1:23.88)
I was super happy with this. It was my first 200 breast ever. I think I was a bit conservative, because it didn't hurt very much. Looking at my splits, I probably should not have backed off so much on the 2nd 50, which set up the range of speed for the 3rd and 4th 50's. Perhaps go closer to 40/41's next time! New zone record.

50 free split: 25.35 relay
Awesome! Well, not really. Viva la mid 25's!

50 free split: 25.62 relay
Yeah! Back to back relays and I could still do it for the team!

So, some very solid and promising times. I feel I can improve in many events, variety of distances. 4 new zone records. I hope to get the 50/100 free, 100 IM, 200 fly, maybe 100 back,100 breast during my waning 40's. If I can get 8 total, that's quite respectable!

Next up: Arizona state meet this weekend! I am going to focus on the 50 free, 50/100 breast, and 100 IM for sure. I should be able to get top ten times in those. I entered some other events but I don't want to spread myself too thin and just miss the 50/100 breast when I am right now on the bubble.

Submit "South Central Zone meet results!" to Digg Submit "South Central Zone meet results!" to del.icio.us Submit "South Central Zone meet results!" to StumbleUpon Submit "South Central Zone meet results!" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Great job! And those fly times were very impressive. I am the opposite of you in the 100 fly. I try to take it out slow (and usually fail) and then die big time on the second 50 no matter what. But like you in 100 free, I am not willing to train hard for the 100 fly. I will say the USRPT sets (30 x 25) are a decent way to train for 100s. No real pain. Though I don't feel like they prepare you for the nasty lactate burn on that last 25.

I hope you have a massage booked for today to help you recover after all those events! Good luck in AZ. Will miss you at Colonies.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Great job! And those fly times were very impressive. I am the opposite of you in the 100 fly. I try to take it out slow (and usually fail) and then die big time on the second 50 no matter what. But like you in 100 free, I am not willing to train hard for the 100 fly. I will say the USRPT sets (30 x 25) are a decent way to train for 100s. No real pain. Though I don't feel like they prepare you for the nasty lactate burn on that last 25.

I hope you have a massage booked for today to help you recover after all those events! Good luck in AZ. Will miss you at Colonies.
    Yeah my 100 fly is faster if I don't go out too fast. My best 100 fly time is from a meet when I had the 200 back right after (and my main event) so I tried to take the first 50 of the fly out relatively easy.

Nice swims Chowmi!

I was just talking up the Colonies zone meet to my DAMM teammates at our zone meet! Too bad it is the same weekend as AZ, and that wins out because I can stay for free, eat for free, and be chauffeur driven by chowsh!

What do you do the 30 x 25's on - a specific interval?

My strategy on a 100 fly is to get to the 62.5 mark without "flinching". By that I mean, you don't want to be just outside the flags (45 mark) and start thinking, Am I tired? Why yes, I am bone dead tired! You want to not flinch, make a snappy turn at the 50, turn off your brain just a little longer, then get to the middle of the 3rd length, and then psyche yourself up by saying, Hey! I made it all the way here without thinking about being tired! And by then, you just start thinking about slingshotting yourself through the last turn, and then you are home free on the 4th length! The key for me, is to get as far past the 50 as possible and then hang on!
    Quote Originally Posted by arthur
    Yeah my 100 fly is faster if I don't go out too fast. My best 100 fly time is from a meet when I had the 200 back right after (and my main event) so I tried to take the first 50 of the fly out relatively easy.

Nice swims Chowmi!
    Thank you! I am happy and I think they were very solid times. But it's even funner knowing you have much room for improvement, and there are always different events to try!

Maybe part of the reason you had such a good time when you went relatively easy is because you were actually at your optimal efficiency! You used less energy but had good form and low drag resistance, and that pays off big time on the back end!!
    Quote Originally Posted by chowmi
    I was just talking up the Colonies zone meet to my DAMM teammates at our zone meet! Too bad it is the same weekend as AZ, and that wins out because I can stay for free, eat for free, and be chauffeur driven by chowsh!

What do you do the 30 x 25's on - a specific interval?

My strategy on a 100 fly is to get to the 62.5 mark without "flinching". By that I mean, you don't want to be just outside the flags (45 mark) and start thinking, Am I tired? Why yes, I am bone dead tired! You want to not flinch, make a snappy turn at the 50, turn off your brain just a little longer, then get to the middle of the 3rd length, and then psyche yourself up by saying, Hey! I made it all the way here without thinking about being tired! And by then, you just start thinking about slingshotting yourself through the last turn, and then you are home free on the 4th length! The key for me, is to get as far past the 50 as possible and then hang on!
    Strict Rushall is on :20 rest and then skip a rep if you miss your target 100 pace. I can't do that. He says drop dead sprinters can have up to :30 rest. I usually miss one half way through, but it doesn't bother me. I also use fins on these sets sometimes.

Being chauffeur driven around is the best! Is this a two day meet?
    Very nice meet Michelle. It was great catching up. Good luck next weekend.
    Strict Rushall is on :20 rest and then skip a rep if you miss your target 100 pace. I can't do that. He says drop dead sprinters can have up to :30 rest. I usually miss one half way through, but it doesn't bother me. I also use fins on these sets sometimes.

Being chauffeur driven around is the best! Is this a two day meet?
    Ok, so let's say for the 100 SCM fly, my current time is rounded to 1:10. My target time (since it seems silly to put in all that work just to go about the same time of 1:10, so let's do a big drop for a target) is somewhere closer to 1:05, which translates to 16's to 16.5's. If I just go on the 35 interval, that's close to 20 seconds rest. For 30 seconds, i'd be doing 25's on the 45 second interval. Now that seems more doable. 10 seconds is way too hard to do more than 4-8 max. I'll give it a try!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    Very nice meet Michelle. It was great catching up. Good luck next weekend.
    YEAH! I'm sure i'll see you at some of the summer USA meets, and the LCM zone meet is going to be at Mansfield, perfect for you since it's the mirror image of Rockwall! Hopefully the zone records will be updated by then.

You can find them at southtexasmastersswimming(dot)com, Events, Meet Results, then scroll down. The SCY need to be updated for 2013 and this year, and LCM you need to update for 2013. I couldn't find results on their website (I think it was Jenks, OK), so I did it the long way by going to USMS and the meet results, then clicking every darn individual that seemed like a girls name. Very quickly you can see if it's someone in the age group and then you'd only care if they had a #1 time. I'd compare that to the exsiting record and put a dot by it. My age group there is usually a swimmer in every event, so I know i'm done updating when every event is dotted.