View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Zones, April 5-6

Rate this Entry
I left Thursday for VA with Lil Fort in tow. Unfortunately, the trip did not start off well. I couldn't fall asleep Thursday at our friends house and then their huge dog busted down my door and hopped on my bed at 6:30 am. I couldn't fall back asleep and felt like a zombie all day Friday. I promptly checked myself into a hotel for the next couple nights. Slept great Friday night, but not Saturday night. I wish I were a more talented sleeper because lack of sleep effects my racing.

Anyhoo, I had a fabulously fun time at Zones despite those bumps. It was really fun to have my Team Pitt swimmers there with me and they all swam very well. I give Saturday an A, Sunday a B-.

Saturday:

50 back, mixed 45+200 medley relay, 1st, 27.20 (split request), Zones record

Was I ever happy to see this time! After my blech 50 back at Albatross, I wasn't sure what to expect. I was really just hoping to slide under 28. But this time I had a very good start and turn -- and from an end lane! This is only .16 hundredths off my NR set in Indy last year when I was on fire. So I was super super happy.

50 fly, 25.96, 1st

I was also thrilled with this time, which is a half second improvement from the Sprint Classic. I felt like I had a very good start, turn and UWs. My breakouts were not as bad as usual. The only glitch was that I had to glide into the finish. Without that glide, I might have matched the 25.7 I did in Indy (and in that race I nailed my finish). At this point, I felt like my meet was made with huge times in my two best events.

50 free on womens 200 free relay, 25.1 leadoff

I only had 5 heats of rest after my 50 fly, not nearly enough rest. So I guess 25.1 is pretty good considering that. If I had had another 30 minutes of rest, I feel like I would have been under 25. I also had a sub-par breakout on my second length.

We went out for a team dinner after this (A for fun) I was hoping for another good night's sleep but it was not to be. I tossed and turned woke up early and tired (C- for sleep). My legs were more tired than usual as well. I think this is where doing the Columbus meet the weekend before might have effected me too.

Sunday:

100 IM, 1:04.6, Zones record

Well, this was pretty disappointing. I really think I should have been a 1:03. I might have stayed UW too much the first 50 and then I had a mishap on my breast to free turn. I had a major glide into the wall and then my foot slipped on the stainless steel wall at that end. I went into the wall even with my buddy Mollie and came out a half a body length behind. So far, this is the fastest time in the nation, but I suspect it might get knocked down a notch or two at nationals.

50 free, mixed 45+ 200 free relay, 25.2 leadoff, 1st

Again, I only had 5-6 heats of rest after the 100 IM, not enough to rip off a really good time. I didn't think this one through. What I should have done was skip the relay and do the individual 50 free. Then I would have had more rest. But who knows, I was pretty tired by this point in the meet.

100 fly, 1:02.8

After the 50 free, I announced I was scratching this event. Stick a fork in me, I was done. And since I don't train for this event at all, I was slightly worried about finishing it legally. Historically, the last half length has always been soooo difficult. Then, about 10 minutes before the event, I uncharacteristically decided to swim it for a top ten (again, channelling chowmi). I tried to loaf, loaf, loaf the first three lengths. I sort of coffee breaked the last turn, but did not die on the last length! After finishing, I was not nearly as tired as usual from this event and, in retrospect, wish I had picked it up on the third length. Oh well, at least this gives me some confidence to try the 100 in SCM again. And right now, it's the fastest time in the nation, though I suspect it will get knocked down a notch or two at nationals. One season, I feel like I should focus on this event. It was my best event as a kid and I know I can go much faster than this (last year I was only .7 off the NR). Untapped potential, it's just a matter of whether my shoulder could take the training.

50 fly, womens 45+ 200 medley relay, 1st, 26.2

I wish there was a break between individual events and relays at this meet ... Again, I only had 5 heats of rest after 100 fly before the relay. I guess I didn't leave it all in the water in the 100 fly because I popped off a 26.2 split with a very safe start.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Another Zones in the books. On the whole, I'm happy with it, especially considering I've been rehabbing my shoulder the last couple weeks. I wish my 100s had been faster. But I find those respond better too a real taper and more rest. I didn't have a classic taper this year, just rested a bit for each meet. Mostly, I'm proud of myself -- in this year where I've been struggling and only training decently since January -- that I swam all 9 sprint events. I showed up. And I feel like I have at least some of my mojo back.

The results from the Columbus meet have now been added back to the data base, so I was able to check my splits from my events there. My 100 breast I was out fast in a 33.9 (with a fantastic start) and I felt like it was controlled speed. That suggests to me that I could have gone faster than the 33.1 that I posted in the 50 breast last fall if I had had a chance to swim it again. My 100 back, which I didn't have much rest for after the 100 breast, was split 30.6/32.1. That's practically an even split with my start. I took it out conservatively (1.3 seconds slower than Nats last year). That suggests to me that I could easily have gone a second faster with more rest or if that had been my first event.

In other good news, Lil Fort raced in a 5K this weekend and won the womens division. This was her first race since the move. She stopped running for the first 4 months of our move. I'm just grateful that she is getting back in the groove. It's been very hard on me seeing her so unhappy with the move.

Submit "Zones, April 5-6" to Digg Submit "Zones, April 5-6" to del.icio.us Submit "Zones, April 5-6" to StumbleUpon Submit "Zones, April 5-6" to Google

Updated April 7th, 2014 at 12:09 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Masters Swim Meets / Events

Comments

Nice job!! Fast like usual.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    Nice job!! Fast like usual.
    Thanks James. I feel like I've been somewhat inconsistent this season. But I was happy to throw down in my 2 best events.
    Fantastic swims Leslie. You continue to amaze me with your swims getting faster and faster. I am contemplating a return to consistent swimming and am motivated by your enthusiasm and the analysis of your races. Just wish I had some other sprinters to train along with.
    So happy to hear Lil Fort did so well too. I truly have been thinking of and praying for her.
    Quote Originally Posted by kwhenderson
    Fantastic swims Leslie. You continue to amaze me with your swims getting faster and faster. I am contemplating a return to consistent swimming and am motivated by your enthusiasm and the analysis of your races. Just wish I had some other sprinters to train along with.
    So happy to hear Lil Fort did so well too. I truly have been thinking of and praying for her.
    Thank you so much, Kristin. In reality, I am not getting faster. I was slower in every event this year. The only PR in SCY this year was in the 100 breast. But I'm hanging in there and was very close to my PRs in my two best events. I might have done better with a real taper. But Santa Clara was never on my radar.

You have plenty of talent and natural speed, so when you decide to ramp it up again, you'll be fast. I know what you mean about having someone to train with. I know my practices would improve if I had a sprinter right next to me.
    Full Mojo mode - Remarkable swimming Fort!
    Quote Originally Posted by __steve__
    Full Mojo mode - Remarkable swimming Fort!
    Thanks Steve! I do feel like I'm getting some of my mojo back after a rough year. It was nice to post a couple really fast times.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Thank you so much, Kristin. In reality, I am not getting faster. I was slower in every event this year. The only PR in SCY this year was in the 100 breast. But I'm hanging in there and was very close to my PRs in my two best events. I might have done better with a real taper. But Santa Clara was never on my radar.

You have plenty of talent and natural speed, so when you decide to ramp it up again, you'll be fast. I know what you mean about having someone to train with. I know my practices would improve if I had a sprinter right next to me.
    Thanks Leslie. You did incredibly well with all you've been doing with the move and remodel, travel, coaching... I just need to get focused and lift weights again. Need to pick a meet to swim, maybe Long Course Zones. Thanks for your inspiration and for sharing your training and progress. Enjoy a little rest before you gear up for long course.
    Very nice job this weekend and so cool to hear that your daughter is back to running. That's got to make you feel happy and it will make her feel better, too.

As for your 100 fly and 100 IM, I would personally love to see what you could do if you spent a SCY or SCM season really targeting those events. I know we are different ages, genders and have different sprint vs. endurance ability, but looking at your 50 times and mine and then my 100 times, I firmly believe you could be sub 1:00 on both of these events in SCY.
    YEAH! Excellent swims and the 100's were good! You'll be happy when you are reaching some hundred mark in top tens and then be thankful you did show up for those events! What a bummer if you ended a season with x99 career TTs.

I think your 100's will be very good, especially if you continue with the USRPT and multi 25's!!
    [QUOTE=kwhendersonThanks Leslie. You did incredibly well with all you've been doing with the move and remodel, travel, coaching... I just need to get focused and lift weights again. Need to pick a meet to swim, maybe Long Course Zones. Thanks for your inspiration and for sharing your training and progress. Enjoy a little rest before you gear up for long course.[/QUOTE]

That's what I'm telling myself. it's taken a very long time to acclimate. And we are not done remodeling!

LCM Zones would be perfect! I do think weights make a difference, particularly in long course. So getting back to the gym is a good idea.

I'm going to carry on for awhile and swim at Canadian Nationals the third week of May. I am going to skip long course entirely because of a couple vacations this summer.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Very nice job this weekend and so cool to hear that your daughter is back to running. That's got to make you feel happy and it will make her feel better, too.

As for your 100 fly and 100 IM, I would personally love to see what you could do if you spent a SCY or SCM season really targeting those events. I know we are different ages, genders and have different sprint vs. endurance ability, but looking at your 50 times and mine and then my 100 times, I firmly believe you could be sub 1:00 on both of these events in SCY.
    Sub 1:00? Well, I was 1:00.8 last year in 100 fly, so not too far off. But I might be more likely to approach 1:00 in the 100 back than 100 IM. Sub 1:00 in the 100 IM is Erika Braun territory. But right now, I just don't have the fitness or aerobic conditioning to really crank in those events. And I'm not sure if I can do it training solo. If you could do one or two specific sets to improve 100 endurance, what would they be?
    Updated April 8th, 2014 at 10:35 AM by The Fortress
    Quote Originally Posted by chowmi
    YEAH! Excellent swims and the 100's were good! You'll be happy when you are reaching some hundred mark in top tens and then be thankful you did show up for those events! What a bummer if you ended a season with x99 career TTs.

I think your 100's will be very good, especially if you continue with the USRPT and multi 25's!!
    Well, I'm only at 125 now; didn't start masters until 2006. I felt like my 100s at Columbus were solid and these two were mediocre. But honestly I was just tired. I think the two nights of poor sleep really took a toll. I know I can still swim fast when I'm sleep deprived, but mentally I'm just not there.

If you could do one set to improve your 100s, what would it be? I will carry on with USRPT bc I do think it helps and is a relatively painless way to train at race pace.
    nice races
    you're pretty speedy
    got anymore scy meets?
    What's next?