View RSS Feed

Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!

April is Swimming Saves Lives Month In Indiana!

Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
After lots of preparation, a media blitz, and a very cool kick-off at Purdue University Pool with Rob Butcher, former Governor Mitch Daniels, and 3 former non-swimming adults who now swim with I-swim, "Swimming Saves Lives" has blasted-off in Indiana; in fact April has been declared Adult Learn to Swim Month in Indiana!
"Swimming Saves Lives" is a USMS initiative to make the world a safer place by teaching all non-swimming adults how to swim. The plan is to offer free swim lessons to any/all adults who want to learn to swim. By the end of 7-10 lessons our goal is that the adult can swim 50 yards of crawl stroke and understand how to be safe in and around recreational water settings. I guess you could say we are trying to create a culture of water savvy adults who will pass the knowledge on to their children.
I encourage all of you to try to get a SSL program going with your Master's Team. All you really have to do is contact USMS and let them know you're interested. USMS will provide you with great instructional information, banners, and free goodies for your swim students (caps, goggles, and nose plugs).
2 out of 3 of the adults I'm currently working with are learning to swim so they can be safe in the water with their child/grandchild. I am amazed at their motivation, courage, and commitment to learning how to swim as an adult. I have left every session feeling up-lifted and so proud to be a part of such a needed program in our society. Let's all help USMS wipe out drowning and promote swimming as the # 1 recreational and fitness program in the USA!!

Submit "April is Swimming Saves Lives Month In Indiana!" to Digg Submit "April is Swimming Saves Lives Month In Indiana!" to del.icio.us Submit "April is Swimming Saves Lives Month In Indiana!" to StumbleUpon Submit "April is Swimming Saves Lives Month In Indiana!" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I didnt' realize they had such an in-depth program with goodies to boot. Thanks for this additional information. We'll get it going in our club.
    Awesome Flystorms!! You won't regret getting involved!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by flystorms
    I didnt' realize they had such an in-depth program with goodies to boot. Thanks for this additional information. We'll get it going in our club.