R2 = breast, holding 30, one was 29

100 EZ

30 x 25 backstroke w/fins @ 100 pace @ :40
-- trying to hold 12s, SDK to 15 m
-- missed #3 right off the bat but kept going as is the protocol
-- missed # 17, skipped #18
-- cramped on #25 and skipped that one then kept going
-- the last 10 felt pretty hard after the previous set
-- next time I do this set, I think I will SDK less and swim more so the arms get more of a workout

250 EZ

Total: 3650

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just did an EZ swim yesterday. I was pretty beat from the meet and the meet insomnia. In fact, last night I fell asleep during Game of Thrones and was in bed for 11 hours. Got in a very solid swim today with 1400 yards of race pace work.

Here are the results from Zones, including split requests: http://www.patriotmasters.org/Coloni...ults/index.htm

Does anyone know whether you can use a split request at a Canadian meet?

I need a new suit. I am contemplating getting the Arena Carbon Pro Flex. Arena claims that the regular carbon pro is better for fly/free and that the Flex is better for back/breast/IM. I'll be swimming a lot of the latter at Canadian Nationals. Speaking of which, I'm going to really limit my events so that I'm only swimming 1 per session and so I'm avoiding anything in the early morning. At this meet, they are having a morning and afternoon session with a lunch break for the officials. How civilized! It seems I'll be doing more 100s than 50s at this meet, so will try to gear my training in the next month toward that. Does anyone have a favorite set they like for 100 training?

I am heading back to the gym tomorrow. Rather dreading it. I'm going to try for shorter sessions during the next month so it doesn't totally kill my pool work.

Submit "Mon & Tues, April 7-8" to Digg Submit "Mon & Tues, April 7-8" to del.icio.us Submit "Mon & Tues, April 7-8" to StumbleUpon Submit "Mon & Tues, April 7-8" to Google

Updated April 8th, 2014 at 05:56 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Catching up on yesterday's comments ...

Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Sub 1:00? Well, I was 1:00.8 last year in 100 fly, so not too far off. But I might be more likely to approach 1:00 in the 100 back than 100 IM. Sub 1:00 in the 100 IM is Erika Braun territory. But right now, I just don't have the fitness or aerobic conditioning to really crank in those events. And I'm not sure if I can do it training solo. If you could do one or two specific sets to improve 100 endurance, what would they be?
    Here's my rationale for why you can be sub-1:00 in both and could be 58+ in the 100 fly. From this past weekend, your 50s of strokes versus mine:
    • 50 fly - 25.96 (Fort) vs 26.82 (me)
    • 50 back - 27.2 (Fort) vs. 29.43 (me)
    • 50 free - 25.1 (Fort) flat start vs. ~24-mid (my 50s with relay flying starts were 23 high and 24 low)

We didn't have comparable breaststroke times, but I seem to recall that, at the 50 distance, we are well-matched again.

So, I was slower or comparable on all strokes, but the 100s were different:
    • 100 fly - 1:02.8 vs my 58.57
    • 100 IM - 1:04.6 vs my 59.98

I point this out not to emphasize the fact that I can't sprint or that my 'distance' capacity is better than yours, but to state, from my perspective, that sub 1:00 should be doable for you, particularly in the fly. I agree the IM might be a little further road to go, but I still think you can do it.

As for what kind of sets you need to do, I would think the 'Hackett 200' set I do frequently (e.g., 16 x 50 every 4th one at race pace, 12 x 50 every 3rd one at race pace, etc.) where you focus on trying to make those race pace 50s as either the 2nd 50 time for your 100 or, better yet, your average 50 time for your target 100s. Though this set is more oriented towards preparation for a 200, I think doing this for you would help you build confidence that you have the 2nd half of the 100 to be able to really crank in these events.
    RE: Canadian split request, just ping the meet organizers. I contemplated going to that meet and asked some more basic questions and they were very responsive. I would think split requests are possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Catching up on yesterday's comments ...

Here's my rationale for why you can be sub-1:00 in both and could be 58+ in the 100 fly. From this past weekend, your 50s of strokes versus mine:
    • 50 fly - 25.96 (Fort) vs 26.82 (me)
    • 50 back - 27.2 (Fort) vs. 29.43 (me)
    • 50 free - 25.1 (Fort) flat start vs. ~24-mid (my 50s with relay flying starts were 23 high and 24 low)

We didn't have comparable breaststroke times, but I seem to recall that, at the 50 distance, we are well-matched again.

So, I was slower or comparable on all strokes, but the 100s were different:
    • 100 fly - 1:02.8 vs my 58.57
    • 100 IM - 1:04.6 vs my 59.98

I point this out not to emphasize the fact that I can't sprint or that my 'distance' capacity is better than yours, but to state, from my perspective, that sub 1:00 should be doable for you, particularly in the fly. I agree the IM might be a little further road to go, but I still think you can do it.

As for what kind of sets you need to do, I would think the 'Hackett 200' set I do frequently (e.g., 16 x 50 every 4th one at race pace, 12 x 50 every 3rd one at race pace, etc.) where you focus on trying to make those race pace 50s as either the 2nd 50 time for your 100 or, better yet, your average 50 time for your target 100s. Though this set is more oriented towards preparation for a 200, I think doing this for you would help you build confidence that you have the 2nd half of the 100 to be able to really crank in these events.
    I hadn't thought of doing the Hackett set, but that's not a bad idea. What interval do you use for that?

I would be happy to get back to my 1:02 in the IM. But that event in this meet was especially slow bc of insomnia and that bad breast to free turn. The quality of my sleep and the amount of rest between events is a huge factor for me. I've had other meets marred by poor sleep too. I think fly is more realistic. But I definitely couldn't use the Hackett set for that unless I did the non race pace ones free. One other important reason my 50s are relatively faster than my 100s is that I can stay under 30 meters in the 50s, but can't replicate that in the 100s. And surface swimming is simply slower for me. I've also been struggling with UWs this season, but feel like my new allergy medicine is helping me breathe better.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    RE: Canadian split request, just ping the meet organizers. I contemplated going to that meet and asked some more basic questions and they were very responsive. I would think split requests are possible.
    I pinged them a couple days ago with this question, but haven't heard anything. I would have to assume they have a similar system.
    I hadn't thought of doing the Hackett set, but that's not a bad idea. What interval do you use for that?
    In SCY, I start with 0:45 on the round of 16, then go 0:50 on 12, 0:55 on 8 and 1:00 on the last 4.

I should be clearer with this set - at least when I do it, I do all the non-race-pace 50s as cruise free.

But that event in this meet was especially slow bc of insomnia and that bad breast to free turn. The quality of my sleep and the amount of rest between events is a huge factor for me. I've had other meets marred by poor sleep too.
    I'm sure you've tried everything, but I've found 10mg of melatonin helps me get to sleep without leaving me groggy in the morning.

One other important reason my 50s are relatively faster than my 100s is that I can stay under 30 meters in the 50s, but can't replicate that in the 100s.
    That is a good point. I'm the opposite - surface swimming is way faster unless I'm wearing a big-ass monofin
    Thanks. I think I should start the set :5-:10 slower than you.

I've tried melatonin but never 10 mg. I may add that next time.

I think I would have had you in that 50 MF race! I've done a 19+ from a push. :-)
    I got split requests at last year's Canadian Nationals. Went through the customary drill with the meet referee. Seems like I had to call them to the attention of the USMS Top Ten folks, but they showed up in FINA Top Ten with no other notification.
    Quote Originally Posted by dhmartin
    I got split requests at last year's Canadian Nationals. Went through the customary drill with the meet referee. Seems like I had to call them to the attention of the USMS Top Ten folks, but they showed up in FINA Top Ten with no other notification.
    Thanks! Good to know. I'd rather swim the 50 free as a split rather than the 100 free. Can't hang around until Monday for the individual 50. As it happens, my TT recorder is going to the meet too.