View RSS Feed

Alex's swim journal

Back on the blog... 100-200 PRs

Rate this Entry
by , April 11th, 2014 at 12:11 AM (1387 Views)
Wow; it's been a while since I've had a chance to blog, so I haven't even been able to report on the Wisconsin state meet. As I mentioned in the run up to that meet (March 29-30), I was having some real shoulder discomfort in all the strokes but freestyle, so I decided to take it easy the week before and focus on the freestyle events: 100, 200, and 1650.

My last 100 in a meet was in January and I ended up doing a 1:11; a week before the meet (after I had already sent in my seed time, of course, based on my earlier meet time) I swam a 1:08. At state I swam 1:07.04 and took the heat by .06 against our Kenosha YMCA team-mate Jen. She came back with a 1:06 at the IL state meet last weekend, which I couldn't do because I was in Tuscon, and made sure to let me know about it.

I hadn't done a 200 free in a meet since last spring and was quite a bit slower then I guess (with a 2:45), but since I hadn't swum a 200 in meet context and my training has been so erratic this winter-spring I really had no idea how I was going to do... I think I put a seed time of 2:44 down. When I saw the other swimmers seeded around me in the mid- to upper-2:30s I decided just to go out and try to win the heat... as it turns out I faded pretty badly toward the end, and probably finished third or fourth in the heat, but my time was a PR: 2:35.86. My first time breaking the 2:40 mark. And it didn't feel too painful.

The 1650 was really just to test myself and see what kind of pace I could hold, since I really didn't have time to prepare for this one. I swam 18 secs slower than my best time of 25:04 at last year's state meet for a 25:22... I took a look at my splits and they were not too far off of last year, but definitely fading in the middle third. I was averaging about :01 slower per 100. So my current pace is about 1:32. I really want it to be 1:25, so I've got some work to do.

Last week I had a ball in Tuscon for a conference. The society ended up with a great deal at a swanky resort... but their "lap" pool was only about 20 yards long. Tremendous desert/mountain views though. Check this out:
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo04031849.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	198.1 KB 
ID:	8581

This week I start back into the training more earnestly. Will try to be more consistent and do the weights/x-training too for a little more injury prevention. Today for example I swam 2400 yards then got out and did 2K row on the machine and the following:

2x thru...
lunges w/ 20 dumbells
bench presses w/ dbs
squats w/ dbs
military presses w/ dbs
dumbell rows
incline presses w / dumbells
lat pull-downs

The weights always make me feel so out of shape and the soreness of the first couple of weeks is awful (and not helping me in the pool), but I'll stick with it and be stronger for it I guess.

Tomorrow I'll have to write more about the impending move... that's been taking up a lot of mental and emotional energy of late.

TOTALS YTD:
Swimming: 90+ miles
Rowing: 36.5 K

Submit "Back on the blog... 100-200 PRs" to Digg Submit "Back on the blog... 100-200 PRs" to del.icio.us Submit "Back on the blog... 100-200 PRs" to StumbleUpon Submit "Back on the blog... 100-200 PRs" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

That's a better pool than most resorts offer; next time you're in Tucson, you have to try to either swim at the Oro Valley Aquatic Center or down with Ford Masters at the U of A.
    Weights slow me down and ruin my form while training, but on race day I'm much faster
    Which resort in Tucson were you at? It kind of looks like Loews Ventana Canyon, but they all start to look the same after a while

You should have given one of us a shout, as there are some decent training pools in the area (if you have a vehicle and time to get away, of course).

Great job at the meet!
    It is interesting following your training, as you seem similar to how I was when I started swimming masters. And I did about the exact same thing for my very first event at a meet--the 200 free, but it was LCM. My coach told me afterwards that I had a decent 100 (only the 2nd 100 wasn't so good).
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    That's a better pool than most resorts offer; next time you're in Tucson, you have to try to either swim at the Oro Valley Aquatic Center or down with Ford Masters at the U of A.
    Yeah, the up-side to this resort and conference venue was the spectacular setting, but the downside was that it was pretty isolated out there in the Catalina Foothills, and without a car we were pretty much trapped on the resort. I would have liked to have been downtown and closer to things by walking or public transportation... that's how I usually find a university pool or YMCA.
    Quote Originally Posted by __steve__
    Weights slow me down and ruin my form while training, but on race day I'm much faster
    After this week I've decided to swim BEFORE the weight training and not after... it really does slow you down and mess with your form to swim right after drylands.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Which resort in Tucson were you at? It kind of looks like Loews Ventana Canyon, but they all start to look the same after a while

You should have given one of us a shout, as there are some decent training pools in the area (if you have a vehicle and time to get away, of course).

Great job at the meet!
    It is interesting following your training, as you seem similar to how I was when I started swimming masters. And I did about the exact same thing for my very first event at a meet--the 200 free, but it was LCM. My coach told me afterwards that I had a decent 100 (only the 2nd 100 wasn't so good).
    We were at the Wyndham Westward Look. I really only had time to get in one swim (and that's 'cuz the pool was right there!), which was fine because I was sort of using last week as a recovery week anyway. Hit the reset button.

And, yeah, no trouble pacing a 50 or a 1650, but everything in between is still a complete mystery where freestyle is concerned. Even my 100 was split 31+/35+. If it had been 6" longer I would have lost the heat to my teammate.