View RSS Feed

Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!

NW Zone meet is a No-Go

Rate this Entry
I awoke last Monday morning with one of the worst pains in my neck/upper back/right shoulder that I've even had. I don't believe it's from anything I did at the meet with my swimming at LMSC Champs last weekend...I just think I slept a bit funny or something overnight.

It was super painful, and I've been managing to get through work every day this week, and it's gradually been getting better, but every morning it feels like Bill Murray in the movie "Groundhog Day". I've swim a little bit on Wednesday, Thursday, and again this morning, but it really wasn't much. Thursday's swim was by far the best day though. I managed to do a set of descending 10x100s @ 1:45 interval, going from 1:07, down to 1:01s and holding them there for the final five 100s.

I figured I'd be good to go this weekend, but then this morning I awoke with the pain pretty bad again. I could barely manage to get through 1500 yards in the pool at a nice 'n easy pace, let alone put some effort into the swim. I decided that it wouldn't be worth my time this weekend, especially since 4 of my 5 events are dealing with butterfly in some way/shape/form: 100 & 400 IM, 50 & 200 Fly, and 1000 Free. Ideally I wanted to throw down a good 400 IM, and try to better my 200 Fly time (2:11) from last November, as well as give Kirk Nelson a run for his money in the 1000 Free. I'm the #2 seed to him, and behind us two, it was a ways back to the #3 overall seed.

Oh well...it's just a meet, and I won't have to throw away gas money this weekend...and I get to watch my kids at soccer as well. On a side note...my wife did some work on my back and neck an hour ago, and it feels much better. I told her I may go to Seattle anyway...and she gave me a look like I had better not!

Submit "NW Zone meet is a No-Go" to Digg Submit "NW Zone meet is a No-Go" to del.icio.us Submit "NW Zone meet is a No-Go" to StumbleUpon Submit "NW Zone meet is a No-Go" to Google

Comments

That sucks. Any chance you've got a chiropractor friend who specializes in athletes? Back in 2008, I took the entire summer off from swimming and came back with huge pain that sounds similar to yours. The thing that worked was a former swimmer who's a chiropractor now; he knew exactly where to tweak, push and pull.

Good luck on the rehab.
    Yoga might help . Could it be from something at work?
    Anyway, spending time with your kids will always be the best alternative
    Sorry James. I think you would've been in my heat in every event I'm swimming!
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    That sucks. Any chance you've got a chiropractor friend who specializes in athletes? Back in 2008, I took the entire summer off from swimming and came back with huge pain that sounds similar to yours. The thing that worked was a former swimmer who's a chiropractor now; he knew exactly where to tweak, push and pull.

Good luck on the rehab.
    I'm thinking about a little of everything, but haven't decided if I'll do chiropractor, massage, or just plain old R & R to wait it out. It may be something from work too. Occasionally I'll stand up into something overhead I didn't see and hit my bump cap on framework, but it's just weird that is came about on a Monday morning. Or maybe it's just Monday.
    Quote Originally Posted by __steve__
    Yoga might help . Could it be from something at work?
    Anyway, spending time with your kids will always be the best alternative
    It could be a combo of a lot of things. Work is definitely on the hit list for things that would do this. I do get into many awkward positions to see things, lift, pull, push, break nuts/bolts loose, etc. Sometimes it would be nice to have a desk job!

But yes, it will be nice to watch soccer this weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    Sorry James. I think you would've been in my heat in every event I'm swimming!
    I'll get over it soon. I did just sign my registration form for USAS for the summer months. If you get a chance to come over to Wenatchee for one of the LCM meets you should! Lots of good competition from the kids over here. Starlight Invite in early July may be a good one!

Good luck racing my "ghost" tomorrow! It'll be like the Olympics where they put the red line in the pool ahead of the swimmer. Just imagine that I'm right there and kick my @ss!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    Just imagine that I'm right there and kick my @ss!!!
    Will do!