View RSS Feed

After a long rest

Week 80 - Saturday

Rate this Entry
I arrived back in Dallas at about 11pm last night and was in bed around midnight. I learned a big lesson when I got home; never give your wife a kiss when it's dark after being away for a week. I bent over to give her a kiss and she woke just as I was doing it and screamed so loud she woke the dogs and the kids. I was surprised she did not slug me. When she got over the fright she asked what I was thinking and despite my best efforts my explanation sounded like the disaster that did occur. The thought was well intentioned.

This morning came way too early and I felt very tired and stiff in the warmup but loosened up as the work out progressed and had an awesome set of 400s pull and a couple of pace 100s today. The pool was setup LCM today.

Warm up
600 free with snorkel

Main sets
12x50 on 1min with fins swum as far as possible under water and sprint the rest of the way
10x50 free on 40 pace
4x400 pull on 5mins(yes this is correct)
100 easy
2x100 on 1.30 holding 400 pace.

Warm down
200 easy

Total 3800 LCM

On the 50s under water and sprinting with fins I loosened up and was holding 30s. The pace set I was holding 35s. When I heard the send off times on the 400s I just about choked and was given the option to go on a slower send off but decided to try it just to see how well I could do. I was really happy with how I did and felt on this set going 4:43,4:44,4:42,4:40 This is quicker than I swam 400s pull last summer and I think bodes well for a good summer of fast swimming. On the 100s pace I held 1:05s on both and despite them hurting I was very pleased.

After swimming we lifted and did our normal 3 rounds with 10,8 and 6 reps per round going from 80%, max and fail in terms if weight.

We did

3x(bench press, inclined bench press, military press, seated row hands inside, seated row hands outside, lat pull down hands inside, lat pull downs hands outside, lower back extensions)

I finished with 7mins on the Vasa trainer which I always find difficult.

A good workout. I plan on sleeping today.

Submit "Week 80 - Saturday" to Digg Submit "Week 80 - Saturday" to del.icio.us Submit "Week 80 - Saturday" to StumbleUpon Submit "Week 80 - Saturday" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Holy cow, great job on those 400 pulls! Yeah, I'd have choked too! LOL! Keep up the great work, SC.
    Quote Originally Posted by flystorms
    I'd have choked too! LOL!
    I would've kept my fins on or taken left into the diving area midway
    Quote Originally Posted by flystorms
    Holy cow, great job on those 400 pulls! Yeah, I'd have choked too! LOL! Keep up the great work, SC.
    Just like your training for Key West I keep my mental picture of Montreal in my mind as much as I can in practice and I use this to keep pushing. It's not always easy, like yesterday, but it definitely helps to have an end goal in mind hen it gets tough. Thanks for the encouragement.
    Quote Originally Posted by __steve__
    I would've kept my fins on or taken left into the diving area midway
    This one was especially hard because everyone else did 6x200s instead of the 4x400s but I got into a rhythm and this set went pretty quick. The great thing about long course is you can get cranking without having to worry about turns. The downside is that it's pretty tiring! Fingers crossed a few weeks and I will not be quite so tired at the end of workout.
    The thought was well intentioned.
    OMG this sounds like a mistake I would make. I've learned many times that the road to he|| is paved with good intentions.