View RSS Feed

Alex's swim journal

3000-yard swims

Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
by , April 12th, 2014 at 06:00 PM (476 Views)
In the interest of just getting in some low-intensity cardio to help my base I decided to do something I haven't done in a while: a couple of 3000-yard straight swims in the last couple of days.

Yesterday I did 6 x thru 400 free + 100 back. Today I did 3 x thru 800 free + 200 Back. Both swims were right around 54 minutes (a little faster than that today). I also hit the weights again today after a 2.5k row on the machine (11+ minutes). Felt a lot better today than I did after drylands on Thursday.

THE MOVE:

So, as I mentioned about a month ago, I went back out on the academic job market this year... things at my home institution looking really bad (no raises, again; more benefits cuts; enrollment dropping; more cuts to the institution; increased workload; imminent bankruptcy--we've been running off our reserves since the crash; now they're looking at vacating buildings and shrinking the library space?--yikes!). In January and February I interviewed with Baylor University (in my native Texas) and was selected to head their division of Spanish and Portuguese, starting this coming fall semester. The position comes with tenure (so I don't have to go through that again) and is in a very vibrant department... it will be a little strange being in a place that's actually well funded and supports language and culture study, after all the years of struggle at a small state university.

Needless to say, I'm pretty excited about this opportunity, but uprooting the family after fourteen years in the Chicago-Milwaukee area is tough. They are resigned to the move, but not happy about it. Sigh.

Our real estate agent is coming over on Tuesday for a walk through to see exactly how much value our house has lost in the seven years since we moved into it (we got in high, right before the crash--Murphy's law!). Now we're only about 3 months out from our move and there is so much to do... argh! Guess I'll continue to chronicle the madness here.

TOTALS YTD:
Swimming: 94+ miles
Rowing: 39 K

Submit "3000-yard swims" to Digg Submit "3000-yard swims" to del.icio.us Submit "3000-yard swims" to StumbleUpon Submit "3000-yard swims" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Congrats on the job. Great university with great programs. A number of people I work with are Baylor grads and they rave about it. Welcome back to the Lone Star state.

Looking forward to to hearing how the move and transition goes.
    Looks as if a very positive type of stress is coming your way. Good luck throughout!
    Congrats on the new job! I hope the sell and the move goes smoothly!
    Hope the new job and move go well Alex - sounds like an exciting great spot at Baylor for you, especially since things weren't going well. The residual pain from this past recession is still with us and landing on your feet is great. Swim when you can
    Thanks for all the support, guys (or do I have to start using "y'all" again?). Time is flying by and I always think I'll never get everything done in time... but somehow it all comes together.
    Congrats - I don't envy the move but it's awesome you don't have to go through the tenure process again!