View RSS Feed

Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!

Thursday, April 17, 2014 9:35-10:15am

Rate this Entry
Monday afternoon I was with my kids at their soccer games, and I decided to help out my son's team warmup for the game. Nothing serious, just sit in the goal and block shots, etc. 8 year olds, how bad can it be? Well, Lesson #1, don't play soccer with open toed sandals... I had a kid come in close, he made his shot and the followthru of his kick caught my big toe on my right foot, and completely ripped off the toenail. Nothing left at all. Just a little ouchy, but I'll live. I took a few days out from the pool, as well as just R&R at home (still went to work) till this morning.

I felt like a fish out of water this morning in the pool. My cardio is pretty much gone, and my stroke felt like garbage. My toe hurt a bit as my feet would kick in the water, occasionally striking each other as they passed.

2 x 200 Free warmup
I had to pause at the 200 to stretchout my right shoulder. Something just isn't right in there...gotta be getting old I guess.
(400/400)

My "kick my own butt into shape" set:
2 x 400 Free Pull @ 5:00 (4:42s)
2 x 300 Free Pull @ 3:45 (3:31s)
2 x 200 Free Pull @ 2:30 (2:22s)
1 x 100 Free Pull @ 1:15 (1:11s)
(2000/2400)

Finished off with a 200 EZ. My body was sore enough, and my cardio got a good kickstart back into action. Have to try again soon.

-------------------------------
2600 Yards

It felt good knowing that I could maintain Stewart's intervals and times on the 400s pull that he did earlier in the week. Yeah, it doesn't matter that mine was SCY vs. his LCM set.

I've also decided to register for the 2nd half of the season with USA-S to compete in the LCM meets. We have 3 available here in Wenatchee this summer. Apple Capital May 30-June 1st, Starlight Invite in early July, and the LSC Champs meet in late July. I can get my money's worth that way, but I have to get into shape to swim with the kids in meets. Can't fake that!!

Submit "Thursday, April 17, 2014 9:35-10:15am" to Digg Submit "Thursday, April 17, 2014 9:35-10:15am" to del.icio.us Submit "Thursday, April 17, 2014 9:35-10:15am" to StumbleUpon Submit "Thursday, April 17, 2014 9:35-10:15am" to Google

Comments

Back when I was heavy into running, I lost many toenails (usually the big toe, but once in a while another). They'd grow back eventually...usually in a month or so. I don't really remember it being an issue. But then again, my legs were always fried, so I'm sure any inconvenience was minor, comparatively.

And your, "gone cardio," still makes you much faster than me, and most people I swim with
    Gag on the toenail! That had to really hurt and feel strange being exposed to air.
    Sounds very painful.

We have a few things in common; we are both incredibly good looking, we both are 6'5' and we both swim mid distance events.

Thats exciting about bout you registering for USAS meets. As you know, you and Kirk were my inspiration to compete against the kids. You will have a lot of fun.

i hope the toe gets better soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Back when I was heavy into running, I lost many toenails (usually the big toe, but once in a while another). They'd grow back eventually...usually in a month or so. I don't really remember it being an issue. But then again, my legs were always fried, so I'm sure any inconvenience was minor, comparatively.

And your, "gone cardio," still makes you much faster than me, and most people I swim with
    I know I'm still pretty good in the pool, but it still hurts just as much as the next person when I'm out of shape!!
    Quote Originally Posted by flystorms
    Gag on the toenail! That had to really hurt and feel strange being exposed to air.
    It sure didn't feel great when it happened, though I'm glad it was completely gone and not left hanging on a bit! :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    Sounds very painful.

We have a few things in common; we are both incredibly good looking, we both are 6'5' and we both swim mid distance events.

Thats exciting about bout you registering for USAS meets. As you know, you and Kirk were my inspiration to compete against the kids. You will have a lot of fun.

i hope the toe gets better soon.
    A few things in common, but I'm not 6'5"!! Almost the reciprocal of that: 5'9", but I can swim like a 6'5" when I need to! I remember looking at those tall guys in college knowing I could beat them. Not so easy now!

The USA kids are fun to race with. My LSC is so small that everyone knows everyone pretty well, including them knowing me and how I swim. That's why I have to get into shape, plus the 200 LCM Fly hurts when you aren't ready for it!!!