View RSS Feed

After a long rest

Week 81 -Friday

Rate this Entry
I had a good night’s sleep but woke feeling very tired and sore as I have done all week. This morning’s workout was incredibly tough and I probably should not write this because my mother reads my blog and she will worry, sorry Mum. Towards the end of the main set I felt very disoriented and dizzy. I did not black out but I am pretty sure I was quite close. I think my heart rate must have been high and I am guessing my blood pressure was low(it’s the only thing I can put this feeling down to) and my vision started to narrow almost like I was in a closing tunnel. I managed to get through the set by shaking my head and taking deep breaths and ended up having a great workout. I have had this feeling before and it is a scary feeling. Aftre my Coopers Clinic visit a month ago I am certain I am ok and just pushed too hard. I really am ok, I think I just pushed myself to my physical limit and perhaps a little beyond….nothing new there right?

Warm up
400 free
6x50 catchup on 45

Main sets
4x with fins (2x50 kick fast on 45, 100 AFAP on 1.30, 2x75 fly drill on 1.15)
400 free easy
12x100 free on 2mins best average

Warm down
8x25 on 40 easy

Total 4000scy

On the set with fins I held 29s on 50s kick and then went 53,52,51,50 by round on the 100s free and then went 55s on the fly drill. I used the fly drill as active recovery. I was feeling very stiff after the warmup but loosened up after this set and actually felt tired after these fast kick and free swims.

When Tom gave us the 400 easy after the set with fins I knew we were in for a really hard second set. I was not expecting a long best average set. I had a great set but hurt after round 3 and it just got worse as the set went on and I did not let up at all. I held 56s on all of the 100s, except #7 and #11 where I went 57 and 58. By #9 I started feeling tunnel vision and had to start shaking my head and moving after the swim to clear my head before the next 100. I was more than happy with a 56 average on this set. This was slightly slower than the last best average set of 100s we did but we did 4 more this time so will definately take this one. I started 15 seconds after everyone else and tried using them as a target to catch. This was a huge motivator on every 100 and Bill and Nikki both commented afterwards how they swam good sets by trying to not let me catch them. This was a win win. Several swimmers also mentioned feeling like they were going to be sick and hanging in the gutter during the set. This was really tough, and perhaps the hardest set of 100s I have done. I had nothing left. Even now, several hours later I am feeling this workout.

Tom promised tomorrow be a recovery but he has been known to throw in a surprise set after a day like today so watch this space.

Submit "Week 81 -Friday" to Digg Submit "Week 81 -Friday" to del.icio.us Submit "Week 81 -Friday" to StumbleUpon Submit "Week 81 -Friday" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Be careful, Stewart. Yes, we need to learn and train to push through pain, but we're also not young pups any more. I have had one of my former swimming friends from high school (who stayed physically fit throughout his life primarily through running) already drop dead on a workout when he was 45. No amount of extra effort in a set is worth that.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Be careful, Stewart. Yes, we need to learn and train to push through pain, but we're also not young pups any more. I have had one of my former swimming friends from high school (who stayed physically fit throughout his life primarily through running) already drop dead on a workout when he was 45. No amount of extra effort in a set is worth that.
    Agreed, but finding my limit as oppossed to going beyond my limit is hard.

At Spring Nationals last year I spoke with Jim McConica about his black out during the 1000 where he blacked out with 50 to go, came around and finished the race. I know its a real problem and one I dont want on my grave stone.

One of my reasons for going to Coopers this year was to make sure I am healthy inside and out, which was reassuring but I guess this reinforces I need to back off when I start to feel dizzy(or perhaps before), but this is something thats ingrained in me from a very young age and its hard to break. Your point and concern is well taken.
    Nice workout today! My goal is to try and pace with you on kick sets FYI! Can you send me the video please? Have a great weekend see you MondayMonday
    Quote Originally Posted by ndauksavage
    Nice workout today! My goal is to try and pace with you on kick sets FYI! Can you send me the video please? Have a great weekend see you MondayMonday
    i like the goal and nice set of 100s yesterday. 99 days till worlds.

I emailed you the videos. bail said to turn the volume off. She does not like the sound,of her own voice. Go figure!