View RSS Feed

One Stroke at a Time

One year later

Rate this Entry
by , May 13th, 2014 at 09:53 PM (653 Views)
Rice
50 (yeah, I missed warm-up. I used the first round of the main set as my warm-up)
250 on 4:00
6 x 50 on 55 1 fast/1 easy
4 x (250 50 fly/50 free/50 back/50 free/50 breast) on 4:00 then 6 x 50 on 55 1 fast stroke/1 easy free)
200 easy
3000 yards

So today was my year anniversary of being diagnosed with unresectable stage 4 colon cancer (I was actually diagnosed a few days later but a year ago I had the ultrasound that set everything in motion). I worked in the morning then went to Lunch Bunch. After Lunch Bunch, I went home and rested. Today is also the last day of my current chemo cycle so will have a week medication free starting tomorrow.

I enjoyed this work-out. It had the right balance of stroke and free. I was able to hold the same pace on all the 250s. The hardest thing about the workout for me was walking to and from the pool. One of my medications is giving me a side effect called hand foot syndrome so the soles of my feet are super sensitive. I have been wearing thick socks and cushioned shoes so I had forgotten how painful the tiles and concrete are (I hadn't swum in a week-- I went on a mini-vacation to Healdsburg, CA). I've never worn flip flops or shoes from the locker room to the pool but I'll need to go out and get a pair. If anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear some. I won't be able to wear any with textured soles but ones with support and some cushion should do the trick.

Submit "One year later" to Digg Submit "One year later" to del.icio.us Submit "One year later" to StumbleUpon Submit "One year later" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Today is also the last day of my current chemo cycle so will have a week medication free starting tomorrow.
    I'm not a cancer expert, but I assume this is a good thing?

I've never worn flip flops or shoes from the locker room to the pool but I'll need to go out and get a pair. If anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear some.
    I;m a huge fan of Old Navy flip flops. I buy a new pair (usually between $2 and $15, depending upon style and time of year) each year and they hold up perfectly. I pretty much live in flip flops year round (except when I have to look like a professional working guy) and the Old Navy ones hold up to dog walks, plane rides, pool decks, etc. etc.
    Medication free is amazing. I hope the upward trend for you continues.

As for shoes, these are a little pricey, but they're made very, very well. One of the owners came from Nike and blended his knowledge of shoes with his love of the outdoors/beach. Well supported flips. You can get them a lot of places, but I know for sure REI carries them. http://www.olukai.com/shop/mens/sandals/

For something a little cheaper, but squishy comfortable, Nike carries a few styles of flips that you can find in most general sporting good stores like Academy, Dick's and Sports Authority.

Good luck with your recovery!
    It's good to hear that you are still in the water and that therapy is moving forward.

Try on a few styles to be sure that your stability is good with the deckshoes. I have a pair of sandals that I use in the locker room, but they are not very sturdy. I've been meaning to get something a little more substantial.
    Nice workout Mary and congrats on the anniversary. You might want to check out Crocs Clogs. There are lots of models and colors to choose from, and the clog with a strap provides more support than a flip-flop. I have pair with a leather-like upper and wear them all over (beach, pool, etc.). They have held up well wet and dry. Some crocs have nubs on the footbed to "massage" your foot, don't know if that might be bothersome so check them out first. Croc has and sells them on their website. Hope it helps. Take care, enjoy the week and keep at it!
    Thanks everyone. My husband bought me a pair of the crocs sandals which seem to be doing the trick.
    Just writing to say I've been thinking of you a lot this past year and have enjoyed keeping up with your progress on your blog. Well, enjoyed isn't the right word but I respect your ability to write out your experiences to the swimming community this past year and I have found strength from your courage.
    Thanks, Jeff.

I am toying with the idea of coming to Maryland for Nationals. If I do, I hope that we can touch base with each other (I'd love to see your little ones)