View RSS Feed

After a long rest

Week 86 - Monday

Rate this Entry
I had a pretty good nights sleep but woke periodically throughout the night. I suspect it's going to take me a few days to completely readjust to central time. Today's workout was very long and pretty tough after a almost a week out of the water.

Warm up
400 free with snorkel
6x50 catchup on 45

Main set
3x1000 pull with paddles on 12 mins descend 1-3
100 easy
10x50 kick on 1min
8x75 on 1.10 swum 50 drill, 25 fast

Warm down
200 easy

Total 5100scy

i did not have a very good feel for the water today but aerobically was not too bad. I descended as instructed on the 1000s pull, going 10.50, 10.40 and 10.30.

I am convinced I have a killer 1000 in me sometime in not too distant future. I just need to transition my workouts into meet performance. I think part of my problem with the 500 and the 1000 is that I don't just let go, I don't attack these like I should.

This one felt like a long workout but considering the week I had and getting over the flu I was pleasantly surprised how I felt.

Submit "Week 86 - Monday" to Digg Submit "Week 86 - Monday" to del.icio.us Submit "Week 86 - Monday" to StumbleUpon Submit "Week 86 - Monday" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Stewart nice welcome back workout! It amazes me you can swim 3,000 yds at an ave pace of 1:04 even with paddles. Hope you get well soon! I think a few days off will help you in the long run.
    Great job descending on all three. I'm amazed at your pace. Enjoy the trip and be safe!
    Quote Originally Posted by cclarke
    Stewart nice welcome back workout! It amazes me you can swim 3,000 yds at an ave pace of 1:04 even with paddles. Hope you get well soon! I think a few days off will help you in the long run.
    Thanks Chris. This was definately a welcome back and a hard one at that. I was pleased with how I swam these considering how I felt. This type of workout gives me great confidence that I have a good base. We discussed the remainder of the time before Workds and I am excited about the remaining training and then having a killer taper and meet.

How is your training going for Nationals?
    Quote Originally Posted by flystorms
    Great job descending on all three. I'm amazed at your pace. Enjoy the trip and be safe!
    i surprised myself also today. I was pleasantly surprised how quick I was with being out of the water for a week. This trip was particularly challenging with the jet lag and being sick while there.

I have been out of reading the blogs this week but did see you got some feedback from the doctor and it looks like you are making progress on the injury. Obviously it's early days but how is your lat feeling?
    How is your training going for Nationals?[/QUOTE]

Stewart things are going well for me - thanks for asking. End of this month will mark five months back in the pool for me. I swam in Chattanooga this past week-end at the OW 2.4 Mile Nationals. I ended up 5th overall and 2nd in the 45-49 age group. Overall winner was also in my age group - of course. Yes another 45-49 year old in this bracket (Ricardo Valdivia) although he is aging up next year thankfully!

Anyway I have switched to long course now and am training that full-time. Adjusting to the longer distance and getting familiar with LC intervals and times I can hold. Feel like I am starting to get a good solid base now. I have been looking at your blog when you were at 20-22 weeks in to compare. Not quite at the level you were at but making progress. I have also just started doing some basic dryland stuff to try and increase my core strength. Doing anywhere from 3,500-4,500yds 5 to 6 times a week.
    First, for you, Stewart ...
    I think part of my problem with the 500 and the 1000 is that I don't just let go, I don't attack these like I should.
    ... I think you need to let one rip sometime and see how you do. You probably do more aerobic, heavy base training out there than just about any Masters swimmer; I don't think you should fear falling apart.

And, now to Chris ...
    ...I swam in Chattanooga this past week-end at the OW 2.4 Mile Nationals. I ended up 5th overall and 2nd in the 45-49 age group. Overall winner was also in my age group - of course. Yes another 45-49 year old in this bracket (Ricardo Valdivia) although he is aging up next year thankfully! ...
    Ricardo is in amazing shape right now and killer in freestyle. His 1000 at Nationals was damn impressive, so I can only imagine he was impossible to hang with on a 4K.

Good luck on your training.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    And, now to Chris ...
    Ricardo is in amazing shape right now and killer in freestyle. His 1000 at Nationals was damn impressive, so I can only imagine he was impossible to hang with on a 4K.

Good luck on your training.
    Pat yes I did look up his Nats times and did not feel so bad placing second to him and knowing he won the overall. There was some strategy involved in the course this past week-end (long story) and I lost contact with the lead group fairly early due to not swimming the course correctly. Made some tactical mistakes but this was my first OW in 3 years. I got stuck in a group of 4 others drafting me so I got lulled into playing the strategy game. I should have just taken off and swam solo. Anyway I am pretty sure I would not of been able to hang with Ricardo's pace anyway with where I am at.

Agree with your analysis on Stewart and just letting one rip. His aerobic base is off the charts based on his workouts and pace he can hold. I always appreciate all his blog posts so we can see what needs to be done - it is very motivating!
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    [COLOR=#3E3E3E]I think you need to let one rip sometime and see how you do. You probably do more aerobic, heavy base training out there than just about any Masters swimmer; I don't think you should fear falling apart.
    I definately have felt like I am relearning how to swim the 400/500 and 800/1000. I think I am overthinking these events and just need to go for them. Either win or go our in a ball of lactic acid trying to win!!
    I did look up his Nats times and did not feel so bad placing second to him and knowing he won the overall. There was some strategy involved in the course this past week-end (long story) and I lost contact with the lead group fairly early due to not swimming the course correctly. Made some tactical mistakes but this was my first OW in 3 years. I got stuck in a group of 4 others drafting me so I got lulled into playing the strategy game. I should have just taken off and swam solo. Anyway I am pretty sure I would not of been able to hang with Ricardo's pace anyway with where I am at.
    Ricardo's 1000 at Nats was truelly an unbelievably good swim and coming in as runner up to him is no mean feat. You did great, congratulations.

Agree with your analysis on Stewart and just letting one rip. His aerobic base is off the charts based on his workouts and pace he can hold. I always appreciate all his blog posts so we can see what needs to be done - it is very motivating!
    I have improved my aerobic base for sure but believe it or not I feel like I have another notch to go up to yet. I have really enjoyed the transition to LCM and I am very excited about my next taper. I appreciate all the kind words, and I too get highly motivated reading other peoples posts on a daily basis. We need to get you blogging Chris!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    Ricardo's 1000 at Nats was truelly an unbelievably good swim and coming in as runner up to him is no mean feat. You did great, congratulations.
    Thanks it was good to just stretch it out and not have to think about turns for a change. Yes out in 4:54 at the 500 and a hair under 5:00 on the way home is very impressive! Quite the engine.

I have improved my aerobic base for sure but believe it or not I feel like I have another notch to go up to yet. I have really enjoyed the transition to LCM and I am very excited about my next taper. I appreciate all the kind words, and I too get highly motivated reading other peoples posts on a daily basis. We need to get you blogging Chris!!!

[/QUOTE]
    Stewart I am working on starting up a blog. Just need to figure out the sign ups etc.
    [/QUOTE]