View RSS Feed

After a long rest

Week 87 - Friday

Rate this Entry
I woke feeling a little better than yesterday. A friend of mine introduced me to the spotify app for my iPad which allows you to select any artist and album and play it and it's free. It has functionality like pandora but the playing of complete albums is unique and awesome and did I say it's free. Long story short I fell asleep listening to music.

Today was a little odd. I arrived really early and was swimming at least 15 mins earlier than usual so got a nice long warmup. Then kids started arriving. I later found out that the pool is being used for a Senior Circuit meet later today; I guess I knew this but had just forgotten. Anyhow the age groupers(10-18) were one end and the masters were the other end of the pool with our coach Tom running both groups. After the warmup he gave me the option to swim with the kids which I jumped at since I have to work my tail off to hang with them. So I swam most of the workout with the kids and ended up having a really strong workout.

Warm up
400 swim with snorkel
10x50 catchup on 45
16x50 stroke, free by 25 on 40 swum IM order

Main set
6x(200 perfect stroke with snorkel on 3mins, 100 AFAP on 2min(3 rounds free, 3 rounds stroke), 100 kick AFAP on 2min)

Warm down
6x50 drill swim by 25 on 1min

Total 4400scy

I did not feel that great during the warmup but finally loosened up during the transition set. I actually did fly on the first 4 x 50s which I have not done in a while and did not feel too bad. The main set I swam with the kids. I was holding between 2.10-2.13 on the 200s easy(which was much quicker and easier than yesterday when we did a very similar set all free). On the 3 AFAP free 100s I went 55,54,54 by round and despite having 4 in the lane which made it pretty choppy I felt good. One of the fast 12 year old girl free swimmers was going 56s and one of the fast 13 year old boys ripped a 52 on the first round followed by a 58 and a 1.05(as they say, he died like a pig). On the stroke rounds I did back and went 1.04, 1.03,1.02 by round. I was very happy with these. On the kicks I was holding 1.19s throughout. Two 12 year old girls were holding 1.15s. My kick is much better than it was but still has a long way to go. I wish we had a pull set in there today because that's obviously where I am strong and it would have been good to judge myself against this group. So the old guy can still hang with the kids but the really quick older kids are at the meet today and they would have kicked my butt no doubt. Still, it was fun to have someone in the lanes next to me pushing me.

Submit "Week 87 - Friday" to Digg Submit "Week 87 - Friday" to del.icio.us Submit "Week 87 - Friday" to StumbleUpon Submit "Week 87 - Friday" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Nice workout today! Are you lifting after practice tomorrow?
    Quote Originally Posted by ndauksavage
    Nice workout today! Are you lifting after practice tomorrow?
    Thanks. I felt bad leaving you and Eileen but I could resist the opportunity to train against the kids. As you know I love racing.

I plan on lifting.
    Don't worry about it I knew as soon as Tom said it you would go!