View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Patience is not my Fort-e

Rate this Entry
I am suffering from what Jazz calls the "paradox of lifting." You lift to get stronger, but feel like a cripple in the interim. Yikes, I was sore today and really tired. I think Q was right -- I came back to weights too much too soon too fast. Should've cut the amount of the weights back more initially before re-starting more gradually after the hiatus.

Nonetheless, I went to the pool as planned (though I did skip my scheduled short run). Decided to do a mix of aerobic/hypoxic/drilling, adapting the structure of the main set from Tall Paul's last entry on his workout thread. AFAP was really not happening today. I'll aim for some sprint work tomorrow.

Swim/SCY/Solo:

600 variety warm up

Modified Tall Paul set:

3 x through

4 x 25 UW shooters
2 x 100
4 x 50
1 x 200

I did:

Set #1:

4 x 25 UW belly shooters w/MF @ :30
2 x 100 backstroke @ 1:30
4 x 50, 25 scull + 10 seconds AFAP wall kicking + UW shooter on back (killer)
1 x 200 smooth free

Set #2:

4 x 25 UW back shooters w/MF @ :30
2 x 100 dolphin kick w/MF & board @ 1:30
4 x 50 breaststroke @ 1:00
1 x 200, broken 200 fly (5 seconds at the 25, 15 at the 100 -- holy crap, this is only barely possible after weights)

Set #3:

4 x 25 doggie paddle drill @ :35
2 x 100 dolphin kick w/MF & board @ 1:30
4 x 50 backstroke @ 1:00, 12/10 SDKs off walls
1 x 200, alternate 25 scull & 25 backstroke kick

100 C/D

Total: 2800, swam another 500+ with my 8 year old.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Went to attempt to enter the FISH Invitational at GMU on June 14 (200 back), but I have misplaced my USS registration card. Can't remember what the darn number is. I've also decided to swim the 100 fly & 50 free at Junior Champs in mid July. Note to self: No lifting the week before attempting a 100 fly in meters. I can barely swim fly the day after lifting.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Good News & Bad news:

The good news is that my son leaves Thursday to row in the National HS Champs in NJ. He's really thrilled. I will drive up, not exactly sure when though. Lordy, the luggage search and delivery requirements are intense. Rowers can barely touch their own luggage ...

The bad news is that my daughter may need to have surgery for her lateral patella compression syndrome. Not thrilled about that idea. Two years of knee pain, nothing has helped. We're going to try a personal trainer first. PT (with or without swimming) has repeatedly failed.

Submit "Patience is not my Fort-e" to Digg Submit "Patience is not my Fort-e" to del.icio.us Submit "Patience is not my Fort-e" to StumbleUpon Submit "Patience is not my Fort-e" to Google

Updated May 18th, 2009 at 10:49 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

If you use Team Manager, the ID will come up when you will out the athlete form. If you or whoever does your meet entries, they will know after you athlete form is filled out. Using Team Manager is annoying but I save 15 bucks on a surcharge they have in M.A. for manual entries.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    If you use Team Manager, the ID will come up when you will out the athlete form. If you or whoever does your meet entries, they will know after you athlete form is filled out. Using Team Manager is annoying but I save 15 bucks on a surcharge they have in M.A. for manual entries.
    Thanks, Tom. I have no idea how to use Team Manager. I usually just email the meet director. I know it's some combo of name and birthdate, I just can't remember exactly.
    I think that it is the Month, Day and last two numbers of your birth year, then first three letters of my first name, middle initial, and first four letters of my last name. Check the Fort children ID for reference.
    I think that it is the Month, Day and last two numbers of your birth year, then first three letters of my first name, middle initial, and first four letters of my last name. Check the Fort children ID for reference.
    This is the format my USAS number is in.

RE: lifting too soon, that's exactly what happened to me at the start of my SCY season when I jumped onto the Lezak program with enthusiasm and what I thought were light weights. Take it easier, though, for a few days and you should recover.
    Thanks!!!!
    The good news is that my son leaves Thursday to row in the National HS Champs in NJ.
    Congrats to Master Fort (Stud terminology).

The bad news is that my daughter my need to have surgery for her lateral patella compression syndrome. Two years of knee pain, nothing has helped. We're going to try a personal trainer first.
    SQUATS! Just kidding, that really sucks. Seeking alternatives and second opinions is the way to go. Hope mini-Fort can dodge surgery and you can dodge the waiting room.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    SQUATS! Just kidding, that really sucks. Seeking alternatives and second opinions is the way to go. Hope mini-Fort can dodge surgery and you can dodge the waiting room.
    Thanks Q. Mini can't do a squat! She is theoretically supposed to outgrow this issue, which is common among teenage girls. Not keen on the surgical option, as success is not a certainty. I think she needs to work on strengthening her hips, hammies and core. She has a good ortho who works with some of the Redskins and the pro soccer team. We'll see ... This is what comes of too much evilstroke!
    Hey Fort just go to "my USMS" (at the top of this page). They have a usms card look-up service. You just type in your birthday and a couple other things, the voila...it gives you your card #'s and you can even print a copy of your card out if you like!
    Good luck with your son at his nationals!!!!..that is very cool! Your older daughters knee situation is a bummer; hopefully physical training will help. Sometimes surgery (as scary as it is) can be a godsend...but only with the proper rehab and hard work afterwords.
    It sounds like the mini-iest Fort is starting to like swimming! A 500 isn't just playing around!
    Hey Fort, go to the opening page of USMS and at the top you will find the "My USMS" option. Click on it and you will find the USMS card look-up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobinator
    Hey Fort just go to "my USMS" (at the top of this page). They have a usms card look-up service. You just type in your birthday and a couple other things, the voila...it gives you your card #'s and you can even print a copy of your card out if you like!
    Good luck with your son at his nationals!!!!..that is very cool! Your older daughters knee situation is a bummer; hopefully physical training will help. Sometimes surgery (as scary as it is) can be a godsend...but only with the proper rehab and hard work afterwords.
    It sounds like the mini-iest Fort is starting to like swimming! A 500 isn't just playing around!
    Thanks, Bob. Surgery just seems an odd option for someone with perfectly healthy cartilege ... Very frustrating. And the pain causes her to dislike swimming.

Thankfully, I made copies of my masters card. Just spaced out my USS card.

Lil Fort likes playing in the water, but doesn't want to be a USS swimmer. That's really fine with me, as the USS circuit over the years has certainly taken a toll. I don't care what sports my kids do, I just want them to be involved in athletics.