View RSS Feed

One Stroke at a Time

Is that a pickle I see?

Rate this Entry
by , June 1st, 2014 at 08:41 AM (662 Views)
Rice
LCM
4 x 3 x 50 on 55 drill 1 each stroke-kick-swim
4 x 100 on 2:00 25 IM order/75 free
5 x 200 on 3:20 25 fly/175 free
100 easy
2 x 50 on 1:00 1 fly/1 free
5 x 100 on 1:50 50 stroke/50 free
4 x 100 pull on 2:00
100 easy
3800 meters

I actually swam 5 days in a row this week. There was a 1/2 and 3/4 work-out due to weather. I was quite tired by the end of this. I have forgotten that a 50 LCM fly is actually way longer than a 50 SCY fly. Near the end of practice, I noticed my friend Nicole with her fins on at the bottom of the deep end of the pool (I could have never made it down there but she plays underwater hockey and this was no problem). She was inspecting something on the bottom of the pool that was long and tubular. She decided it was a turd or a pickle, somehow managed to get it up to find it was indeed a pickle. The origin of the bottom dwelling pickle is unclear.

After practice I stayed at the pool to watch my oldest swim in Rice's Double Up Meet. He's 10 so swam the 100-200-400 free (and dropped 7-11-26 seconds respectively). By the end of this, I was exhausted. Hopefully, I'll get back to the pool today.

Submit "Is that a pickle I see?" to Digg Submit "Is that a pickle I see?" to del.icio.us Submit "Is that a pickle I see?" to StumbleUpon Submit "Is that a pickle I see?" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Hi Mary!

My name is Jen and I'm a certified coach ASCA level 3 for Masters, living in my elderly parents house in Marblehead, MA, a lovely place, this time of year, and I ran into your blog (first time I've looked at them and yours was on the top, and it said RICE, so I started reading!) just this fine a.m. I have survived a harrowing car accident but not cancer and I know that your battle is different than mine, but from that experience I believe I understand the healing character of aquatic endeavor and the need to stay in tune with how you really feel while continuing to get the important things done, especially the swims!

RICE because my Kira is going to be Jr. in August when the campus swings into full motion and she is there, starts to work at BP tomorrow on a taxing internship. Today she's moving into her summer apt. on Bolsober! I miss her very much. (She's not a big swimmer but has life guarded and goes to the rec center to swim and work out for stress relief. She's a runner and has been a gymnast before she got too tall.)

All enhanced and inspired by your blog, I am procrastinating going to swim as have felt somewhat run down and need to go to a different pool to check it out as I am investigating job possibilities there, but coffee and FLOG update is a great way to wake up! (I have to get my son, one of twins, the other is a girl, they are sophomores at Marblehead High, his football camp squared away. Would that at least one of them had gone on swim team!) You are so lucky to have your son to inspire you on your swimming as well.

I subscribed to your blog, keep up the good work and I look forward to the next installment. I may also swipe some bits of the workouts when I'm in a rush to get to practice, I coach 5:30-7am MWF and try to swim Sat. 7-8:30am, Sun. 8:30-10am, leave early, go to church late (trying that idea today, at least the church part!) and Tues. 12:15-1:30pm. Our Y association has a 50M pool in Beverly, and our others are 25Y and our branch is 25Y.

(Let me know if you need help from someone like a 20 year old Amazon who goes to Rice (Duncan College Chief Justice, Environmental Engineering and Russian) and I could refer you to Kira, she's a big help and has babysat and experienced her twins!)

All best wishes,

Jen