View RSS Feed

After a long rest

Week 88 - Monday

Rate this Entry
I had an awesome Sunday with the family. My wife and I spent the morning working in the garden followed by a swim with my kids. The weather in Dallas was awesome and it was so nice getting stuff done around the yard and spending time with my wife and kids.

After a long day in the sun we all went to bed early and I felt great when I woke up for practice today.

Today's workout was long course.

Warm up
400 free with snorkel
6x50 catchup on 50

Main sets
12x200 pull with paddles on 3mins descend 1-4,5-8,9-12. Instructions were to have a big descend hence the send off.
100 easy
10 min kick done as 20 seconds fast 10 seconds easy
4x50 doggy paddle concentrating on catch on 1.15

Warm down
200 easy

Total 4200lcm

I was under instructions to really descend the 200s and did as instructed going,
round 1 - 2.25, 2.20, 2.17, 2.16,
round 2 - 2.24, 2.20, 2.17, 2.15,
Round3 - 2.24, 2.19, 2.17, 2.12.

I felt strong the whole way.

On the 10 minute kick I went just under 600m which equated to a 1.40 average which I was very pleased with. I thought the idea of doing doggy paddle a little odd at first but after Tom explained that he wanted us to work on our catch it made more sense. The challenge I found was not dropping my elbows which was exacerbated because I was told to keep my head up. By the end however I got it and i found it a surprisingly good drill for high elbow.

I am traveling to Michigan this week and will be training on Rockford tomorrow and then Dearbourn Wednesday and Thursday. Wednesday and Thursday will be outdoor at a 50m pool with the Michigan masters while tomorrow will be short course on my own.

It's looking like I won't be doing the south central long course zone meet due to the fact that my daughter has a meet on the same dates and her swimming takes priority. Tom mentioned doing an inter squad meet before worlds at our pool which will be good so we can practice our relay starts. I think we will have a very good 160-180 year relay at worlds in both the medley and free relays. We also will have both a medley and free mixed relay so everyone who is going will get the opportunity to do at least one relay. I can't wait!

Submit "Week 88 - Monday" to Digg Submit "Week 88 - Monday" to del.icio.us Submit "Week 88 - Monday" to StumbleUpon Submit "Week 88 - Monday" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Doggie paddle? Intriguing! Might have to try that.
    4x50 doggy paddle concentrating on catch on 1.15 ...
    I thought the idea of doing doggy paddle a little odd at first but after Tom explained that he wanted us to work on our catch it made more sense. The challenge I found was not dropping my elbows which was exacerbated because I was told to keep my head up. By the end however I got it and i found it a surprisingly good drill for high elbow.
    That's a fantastic drill for working on the catch. I call it "high elbow doggie paddle" and do it a lot, especially when I swim with my daughter & co and they love it. A variation is to place a kickboard under your belly and do the same drill. It isolated the catch quite well.
    600m kick in 10:00 would be remarkable even without the easy portions, 500 too.

Was the 10 minutes kick done as all flutter on the straights?

This supports the, it takes good kicking to be a fast swimmer theory
    Quote Originally Posted by flystorms
    Doggie paddle? Intriguing! Might have to try that.
    i kind of had that, did I hear what I thought I heard kind of thought when he told us the set. The key is working on high elbow which is harder than it sounds doing doggy paddle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    That's a fantastic drill for working on the catch. I call it "high elbow doggie paddle" and do it a lot, especially when I swim with my daughter & co and they love it. A variation is to place a kickboard under your belly and do the same drill. It isolated the catch quite well.
    i will have to remember the kick board idea the next time we do it. Isolating the catch is a great idea and this definitely helped.
    Quote Originally Posted by __steve__
    600m kick in 10:00 would be remarkable even without the easy portions, 500 too.

Was the 10 minutes kick done as all flutter on the straights?

This supports the, it takes good kicking to be a fast swimmer theory
    When I got back in the pool, Tom's first real constructive criticism of my free was my lack of a kick and we have worked very hard trying to redevelop a strong kick. One of the reasons I love training with the kids is that it puts into perspective how far my kick has come But also I am able to judge just how far I still have to go. They kick my butt and it's very motivating. All around I was very happy with my workout today. Thanks.