View RSS Feed

After a long rest

Week 88 - Friday

Rate this Entry
It was terrific seeing my kids and wife last night after being out of town all week. I had a great nights sleep in my own bed(its funny how there is no bed like your own). This morning was a good workout and I really enjoyed cool water as opposed to cold water.

Warm up
400 free with snorkel
6x50 catchup on 50

Main set
8x100 drill build by 50 with snorkel
1 Round the clock with fins
200 easy
12x50 odds swum 3 strokes and flip turn on 1.10, evens swum finger tip drag drill on 1min

Warm down
100 easy

Total 3600LCM

I was holding 1.15 on the 50 drill 50 build. The round the clock was tough, you basically do a 100 AFAP then take a minutes rest and continue until you get back to the top. I was holding 55s with fins so ended up doing 12 x100s with a minute between 100s. This was one hard set. The 50s with turns felt good but by the end I was dizzy.

After the workout Tom sat down and worked out our week long training camp the week of 30th June. We will be swimming twice a day for 1.5-2 hrs per session and weights or dryland each day also. Three a days will be tough but then we start descending yardage and then the taper for worlds. Scary it's so close. I saw on the website it's 50 days or so. With a three week taper(for me) that's not a lot of time left

Submit "Week 88 - Friday" to Digg Submit "Week 88 - Friday" to del.icio.us Submit "Week 88 - Friday" to StumbleUpon Submit "Week 88 - Friday" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Stewart I am really interested to see how fast you are going to swim at worlds. You have put the work in and you should kill it! Have you finalized events you are swimming?
    Quote Originally Posted by cclarke
    Stewart I am really interested to see how fast you are going to swim at worlds. You have put the work in and you should kill it! Have you finalized events you are swimming?
    Thanks Chris. I am really excited about worlds and I am really looking forward to letting go and seeing where it gets me. I was tempted to do the 200 back instead of the 50 free but decided not to do two events and stuck with all 5 free events plus two relays.

Scary but today marked 50 days out from the start of worlds so that equates to 29 more days of heavy and hard training and then a 21 day taper.

How ow is your training coming along for Nationals?
    You are going to kill it, Stewart. Like CClarke said, you've been putting in the time and energy. I hope you do really well.
    Quote Originally Posted by flystorms
    You are going to kill it, Stewart. Like CClarke said, you've been putting in the time and energy. I hope you do really well.
    Thanks Kari. You never know who will compete at worlds so the only thing I can do is try to be as prepared as possible.

49 days till the opening ceremony.
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll

Scary but today marked 50 days out from the start of worlds so that equates to 29 more days of heavy and hard training and then a 21 day taper.

How ow is your training coming along for Nationals?
    You are in a good place so you dont need to worry about the amount of work you have put in. By the end of your taper you will be like a caged animal!

My training is coming along well. I have just recently started incorporating a few daily double swim workouts as well as some basic dryland work into my routine (I did not do either of these the last time I swam so hoping it helps). I have also started to incorporate more open water swims as well - I did a 6,000m lake swim today. I really feel like I need a little more time to prepare in the pool to get into top form. I am just over 5 months back at it now so I really think by SCY Nats next year and LC next year I will be better prepared. In reviewing your blog I am at a similar point you were at Week 24-25. I will give LC Nats a go and see where I am at and where I need to adjust.
    Quote Originally Posted by cclarke
    My training is coming along well. I have just recently started incorporating a few daily double swim workouts as well as some basic dryland work into my routine (I did not do either of these the last time I swam so hoping it helps). I have also started to incorporate more open water swims as well - I did a 6,000m lake swim today. I really feel like I need a little more time to prepare in the pool to get into top form. I am just over 5 months back at it now so I really think by SCY Nats next year and LC next year I will be better prepared. In reviewing your blog I am at a similar point you were at Week 24-25. I will give LC Nats a go and see where I am at and where I need to adjust.
    i like the idea of open water and would love to do what Patrick has done previously and do one with my daughter however my wife for some reason is not a fan. I will continue to work on her on this one!

I am sure you will do great at Nationals. Long course is definitely harder that scy but it is the same for everyone so it is sort of an equalizer. Spring Nationals next year is going to be a lot of fun. The pool in San Antonio is awesome.