View RSS Feed

Of Swimming Bondage

Meet report: Cracked myself up

Rate this Entry
by , June 7th, 2014 at 07:47 PM (89 Views)
Everything worked like clockwork to get the family down to Tucson for my oldest daughter and I to swim a few events at the Ford Aquatics Southwest Classic:
  • On the road at 5:40am
  • Bagels, krispy kreme donuts and shots of espresso en route (maybe not the best breakfast of champions)
  • Pulled up to the pool at 7:30 where my wife dropped us off and took our youngest daughter and her friend over to see if they could check into the hotel early
  • They scored an ultra early room and my wife got to switch from watching the finish of women's final of the French Open from my iPad to an actual TV. Happy wife = happy life.
  • Got myself checked in, found a spot in the shade of the diving wells, found Kurt Dickson and a few of the other 'old guys' swimming in the meet

While the meet certainly has some speed at the top end and more depth than I can handle for getting back to finals, there are not a huge number of swimmers entered and so the morning session ran pretty quickly. I got a nice 650 SCM warmup in the diving well before my 50 and then did about 400 to 500 SCM cool-down after each of my races. Here's how they went:

50 free
  • Masters best: 27.17, Colonies Zones, June 2013
  • Today: 27.74
  • Commentary:
    • What can you really say about the 50 free in long course?
    • I kind of slipped on my back foot on the start and constantly kept thinking throughout the length of the pool, "Am I really not done yet?"
    • I then misjudged the finish and really glided into the wall.
    • In short, I really didn't do anything right!
    • But I enjoyed it, it was a great way to blow out the cobwebs and the time is not horrible for me.

400 IM

• Masters best: 4:58.10, Omaha Nationals, July 2012
  • Today: 5:09.99
  • Commentary:
    • I started laughing when I touched the wall and saw my time as my goal was to at least get under 5:10 (http://forums.usms.org/entry.php?332...to-the-Classic).
    • I was very worried about getting through the fly leg, both because it was long course and due to my excessively speedy fly on my IM at Nationals, but I was probably overly cautious on this - going out in 1:11.4.
    • But, when I turned to backstroke, I was happy with my languid fly as I was able to get into my stroke and negative split that 100 (40.0 - 38.8), which is not a bad split as I was only 1:16.0 back in Omaha
    • My breaststroke felt pretty good throughout the 100, though I did wish for an extra wall at about the 75 mark. Still the 44.8 - 45.8 for 1:30.6 is also solid (e.g., 1:28.0 in Omaha).
    • It took me a bit longer to get into my freestyle and my 35.3 - 34.0 split means I should've pushed the first 50 a little bit harder, but I'll take it.
    • Back in 2012 on the first weekend in June, I was 5:07.89, so this time is on par with a year where I was swimming very strongly. Also, this was a marked improvement over the 5:17.76 I went last summer.

Now, if all goes according to plan, we might be able to put together a fun relay tonight at the end of finals ... still working all the angles to make that happen.

Submit "Meet report: Cracked myself up" to Digg Submit "Meet report: Cracked myself up" to del.icio.us Submit "Meet report: Cracked myself up" to StumbleUpon Submit "Meet report: Cracked myself up" to Google

Comments

I kind of slipped on my back foot on the start and constantly kept thinking throughout the length of the pool, "Am I really not done yet?"
    Ha ha. That's what I always think during a long course 50, too!

Nice IM! I think you were smart to take out the fly conservatively.
    Nice swims Patrick. Hope you got to swim the relay too
    Remarkable swimming despite being slightly short of personal expectations .
    Great swims Patrick! Hope you got to swim the relay.

So the diving well there is SCM? Years ago, Jim Stites was trying to get them to build a separate 25m pool (expanding the facility). Has that happened? Maybe I should try to get down there for the AZ state meet.

Are you going to the masters meet in Flag?
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    Nice IM! I think you were smart to take out the fly conservatively.
    Thanks! When I write up my race report on the 200 IM, you'll see I came around to that realization about my fly in the 400 IM, as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    Nice swims Patrick. Hope you got to swim the relay too
    Thanks, Mark. Going to write about the relay a little later.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    So the diving well there is SCM? Years ago, Jim Stites was trying to get them to build a separate 25m pool (expanding the facility). Has that happened?
    Yes. The diving well is absolutely wonderful - way, way better than the main pool. It would be awesome to have a meet in, but, apparently, there's something wrong with the placement of the backstroke flags so it wouldn't be legal.

Maybe I should try to get down there for the AZ state meet.
    Yes, you should. I'm definitely going down for one day of that.

Are you going to the masters meet in Flag?
    Absolutely. I really enjoyed the SCM meet up there in the fall and can't wait to feel the pain of a 400 free at altitude.
    Quote Originally Posted by __steve__
    Remarkable swimming despite being slightly short of personal expectations .
    Thanks, Steve.