View RSS Feed

Of Swimming Bondage

Kurt should blog

Rate this Entry
by , June 10th, 2014 at 11:34 PM (59 Views)
OK, doing a little bit of this now with the whole relay record thing, but Kurt wrote a much better account of the effort than I did - http://azlmsc.org/800-free-relay-wor...-masters-team/ - along with some photos courtesy of my wife.

To wrap up a very delayed meet report, I swam the 200 IM on Sunday morning and clocked a 2:25.79, a mere three seconds over my Masters best from Omaha. In contrast to my 400 IM, but similar to my 200 free, I took it out hard and then just held on. I had wanted to go under 2:26, so this made me very happy.

I came back to the pool on Monday evening and cranked out the following with Peter in my pool - in pretty hot air conditions in the late, late afternoon --

Warmup (1,500 set)

• 5 x 200: on 3:20, 3:10, 3:00, 2:50, 2:40 descend as intervals get faster and go right into next set on the 5th interval
  • 5 x 100: on 1:30, 1:25, 1:20, 1:15, 1:10

Set #1 (1,500 set / 3,000 total)
3 rounds of:

• 1 x 250: on 3:15 make it and descend by round (3:05, 3:03, 2:57)
  • 2 x 100: on 1:30 strong efforts, #2 faster than #1 each round
    • Was about 1:12/1:13 on the first one of each round and then 1:10, 1:09, 1:06+/1:07- by round on the second effort

• 1 x 50: on 1:15 BLAST kick

Set #3 (1,350 set / 4,350 total)
3 rounds of:

• 5 x 50: on 0:40 make it
  • 1 x 200: on 3:00 strong effort, descend by round to fast, started at 2:27, then went 2:25 and then blew out my calf with a cramp

TOTAL: 4,300 (skipped a 50 due to the calf cramp on set #3)

I was feeling pretty wrecked after Monday's swim, so just took today off since I'm entering my 'compete every weekend like Michael Andrew' phase and am racing the 1,500 on Thursday night at the Phoenix Invite (http://www.phoenixswimclub.org/Event...71&team=azbest). I was 18:15 at this meet back in the summer of 2011, so I'd like to see how close I can come to that.

Submit "Kurt should blog" to Digg Submit "Kurt should blog" to del.icio.us Submit "Kurt should blog" to StumbleUpon Submit "Kurt should blog" to Google

Comments

Kurt should definitely blog!
    Brundage ='s Andrew!
    Great meet and congrats again on your relay.

Thats some cranking. You know it's going to be fun when you are going a 1:10 SCM in warm up. We need to find more opportunities to train together! As Steve Unruh has told me several times it will be fun until our shoulders blow!

It's great that you have a good training partner and I really believe it will bring both of you to a new level. To me whether you are doing USRPT or a more traditional aerobic based program it's hard to beat racing the guy or girl in the next lane. Great stuff Patrick.
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    We need to find more opportunities to train together!
    Any chance you're in California again next week? I'm going to try to get three LCM workouts in a row Monday through Wednesday between Thousand Oaks, Santa Monica and then Burlingame. That just might blow the shoulders!

Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    It's great that you have a good training partner and I really believe it will bring both of you to a new level. To me whether you are doing USRPT or a more traditional aerobic based program it's hard to beat racing the guy or girl in the next lane.
    I wholeheartedly agree. I should be able to get more workouts with Peter as the summer unfolds.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Any chance you're in California again next week?
    i am afraid not. I am done with week long travel until August. I have a few short day trips and maybe an overnight but no California until the fall. That sounds like a great set of swim related places to travel to.