View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

B70 Barbie No More! Tuesday, May 19

Rate this Entry
As many, I was shocked to not see the B70 Nero Comp on the FINA Approved list. Based on statements I had read, I thought it would be legal until the end of 2009. Oh well, not the end of the world. I would have preferred to get a couple more meets use out of my suit. I don't qualify for the rebate since my suit was purchased in Dec. 2008.

Contrary to Jimby's thesis, this will not discourage me in the slightest, as I'm perfectly willing to swim without the "carapace," just as I did before. What I will mainly miss, unless the present circumstances change, is the durability of the B70 and ease of getting it on! The Pros, LZRs, etc. are fast, but what a PIA to shimmy into ... I look forward to seeing what B70's next incarnation is. I suspect, given my happiness with the nero comp, that I will purchase it when released.

However, in the meantime, I need to purchase a new tech suit pronto! My FS Pro is pretty old and still has the small hole I poked in the thigh in Austin last year. Not sure whether to purchase another FS Pro or experiment with another suit. I'm rather surprised the Rocket skin is on the approved list, as it is made from the precise same material as the B70 ... I'll have to mull it all over. Perhaps the TYR Tracer Rise of the B70 Point Zero ... although the former looks largely unavailable at this point.

Swim/SCY/Solo:

I poached and modified Patrick's "5 x (5 x 100 + 4 x 25)" workout from yesterday. Mostly, I substituted more easy swimming for Patrick's moderate swimming. I just can't swim at a true "moderate" after swimming at a true "fast" pace. Very nice workout; I enjoyed it.

Warm up:

800 variety swim, kick, drill

Main set:

4 x (5 x 100 variables) + (4 x 25), done this way:

set #1:

5 x 100 backstroke w/fins @ 1:30, moderate
(went around 1:14s, still warming up)
50 EZ
4 x 25 fast free w/fins @ :45
50 EZ

set #2:

100 free easy
6 x 50s fast backstroke @ 1:00, best average
100 free easy
50 EZ

set #3:

100 free easy
2 x 75 fast backstroke kick @ 1:15
100 free easy
2 x 75 flutter kick w/board @ 1:15
100 EZ
50 EZ

set #4:

5 x 100 backstroke w/fins @ 1:30, moderate
(went 1:06, 1:08, 1:08, 1:08, 1:07)
100 EZ
4 x 25 fast free w/fins @ :35
50 EZ

100 C/D (wish I could have done more)

Total: 3750

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I switched from the shallow end (4 feet) to my favorite lane in the deep end (12 feet) between sets 2 & 3. Depth makes a huge difference. I had a probably 10% more perceived effort on my second set of 5 x 100 backstrokes, but the times were much faster than 10%.

I'm not going to do any 25s on a :35 interval anymore. I did this because I was running out of time. I prefer keeping my fast 25s "pure" (lol) unless it's part of a broken set. I just end up using poor technique or breathing more.

Will try to do some core work and stretching while my girls are watching the final of American Idol tonight.

Submit "B70 Barbie No More!  Tuesday, May 19" to Digg Submit "B70 Barbie No More!  Tuesday, May 19" to del.icio.us Submit "B70 Barbie No More!  Tuesday, May 19" to StumbleUpon Submit "B70 Barbie No More!  Tuesday, May 19" to Google

Updated May 19th, 2009 at 07:19 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

It was a great workout, but Coach Laura Winslow gets all the credit. She's an incredibly creative coach and loves to stump us on hard days as to what comes next.
    Interesting comment about your lane change and the difference. We were chatting after running this morning about the various pools our team uses (ASU Rec Center, competition, warm-up pools). The Rec Center pool is actually pretty deep, but I never feel fast in it. Whenever I swim in the Mona Plummer competition pool I just feel fast; the water has a different feel to it even. Between that, and a real timing system (the rec center has an analog clock that we've seen skip on the way down, and pause on the way up), I've had some great times in the competition pool. But maybe it is that I don't experience it that much; I used to swim evenings at that pool regularly (some 8 years ago), and maybe your body just gets used to it. Kind of like how I feel faster when I swim without my drag suit now.
    Of course there are these spikey things on the bulkhead in the rec center pool, so you really have to watch your turns...
    Quote Originally Posted by pwbrundage
    It was a great workout, but Coach Laura Winslow gets all the credit. She's an incredibly creative coach and loves to stump us on hard days as to what comes next.
    You're very lucky! And I'm lucky I can read your blog.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Interesting comment about your lane change and the difference. We were chatting after running this morning about the various pools our team uses (ASU Rec Center, competition, warm-up pools). The Rec Center pool is actually pretty deep, but I never feel fast in it. Whenever I swim in the Mona Plummer competition pool I just feel fast; the water has a different feel to it even. Between that, and a real timing system (the rec center has an analog clock that we've seen skip on the way down, and pause on the way up), I've had some great times in the competition pool. But maybe it is that I don't experience it that much; I used to swim evenings at that pool regularly (some 8 years ago), and maybe your body just gets used to it. Kind of like how I feel faster when I swim without my drag suit now.
    Of course there are these spikey things on the bulkhead in the rec center pool, so you really have to watch your turns...
    Depth is only one element of a pool's "fastness." Gutters, lane lines, filtration systems, bulkheads all go into it. But swimming in a very fast pool IS a different experience. For me, swimming in a slow 4 foot deep pool is a workout only experience.
    I like the look of that 5 x 500 + 4 25 i'll have a look at it for me...
    I agree with you on suits - my favorite thing about the B70 is that I can put it on in 5 minutes - the pro takes me twice as long and I have a small snag on the knee already, after wearing it at 2 whole meets. My B70 is more durable and easier to put on...... I'll wait to see how the whole suit thing shakes out, but I currently view the process for approving suits to be suspect....
    Quote Originally Posted by swimmj
    I agree with you on suits - my favorite thing about the B70 is that I can put it on in 5 minutes - the pro takes me twice as long and I have a small snag on the knee already, after wearing it at 2 whole meets. My B70 is more durable and easier to put on...... I'll wait to see how the whole suit thing shakes out, but I currently view the process for approving suits to be suspect....
    That's for sure! Bordering on scandalous. Other suits are just as buoyant and air trapping as the B70. The whole process reeks of underhanded unfair treatment.

The Pro is definitely a time suck suit at a meet.
    I don't like swimming in the shallow end. It's brutal and I'm always slower on anything over 50 yards.
    Quote Originally Posted by mctrusty
    I don't like swimming in the shallow end. It's brutal and I'm always slower on anything over 50 yards.
    I noticed a good second slower per 50 as well.