Warm up:

600 various
100 scull
4 x 25 shooters w/fins
50 EZ

Main Sets:

6 x 25 burst + cruise @ 1:00
100 EZ

4 x (25 AFAP from the blocks, IM order + 25 EZ)
-- about the same times as yesterday, maybe couple tenths faster in free
100 EZ

4 x (25 AFAP dolphin kick w/board & fins + 25 EZ) @ 1:30
-- went 10 mids
100 EZ

1 x 50 AFAP + 150 EZ

Then, inspired by this post: http://swimswam.com/3-ways-improve-kick/, I did a long kick set. It's not often you'll see me do 15 x 100!

3 x (5 x 100 kick w/fins) @ 2:00
-- descend ##1-4 to pretty fast, #5 = EZ
R1 = backstroke kick (1:10, 1:05, :58, :55)
R2 = flutter kick w/board (1:15, 1:10, 1:05, 1:01)
R3 = dolphin kick on back (1:12, 1:08, 1:04, 1:00, kicked through a cramp on the last one)
200 EZ

-- Was pretty beat after that set ...

8 x 50 DPS w/paddles
odds = back
evens = free
50 EZ

Total: 4050

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I can't recall the last time I've been over 4000 ... I guess when you do those longish aerobic sets, you rack up more yardage. I agree with the article that dedicated kick sets -- especially for dolphin kick -- can improve your kick. I disagree with USRPT in this regard and think that's one reason why MA has sub-par UWs. There was a recent article on Swimswam about college recruiting and it said many coaches look to see if a swimmer can hold 5 x 100 kick @ 1:30.

Very excited about the trip. We're going to start off with 5 days in Venice. We rented a flat with friends in the Rialto area. We're stating off with a brunch at the Hotel Danielli overlooking the Grand Canal. We also have a night booked with Row Venice, where you learn to row the gondolas and they take you to the non-touristy bars and restaurants. We're planning on day trips to Verona and Padua as well. No, I will NOT be swimming in the canals in Venice!

Submit "Last Swim before Vaca, Thursday, June 19" to Digg Submit "Last Swim before Vaca, Thursday, June 19" to del.icio.us Submit "Last Swim before Vaca, Thursday, June 19" to StumbleUpon Submit "Last Swim before Vaca, Thursday, June 19" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Very jealous of your Venice trip. I had heard so many people trash it before I went there, but we rented a small apartment tucked away from the hustle & bustle and just loved it. I really want to go back there. Enjoy.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Very jealous of your Venice trip. I had heard so many people trash it before I went there, but we rented a small apartment tucked away from the hustle & bustle and just loved it. I really want to go back there. Enjoy.
    I've heard people rave about it. But you definitely have to get off the beaten path. I'm more excited about the Venice part of the trip. Mr. Fort and Lil Fort are more excited about Greece.
    recent article on Swimswam about college recruiting and it said many coaches look to see if a swimmer can hold 5 x 100 kick @ 1:30.
    I'm gonna keep this under my hat. My son comes back from his mission (2 years no swimming!) in early August & has to report to his college team 2 weeks later. That would be something he wouldn't want to have hanging over his head, on top of everything else!!

Sounds like I'm gonna want a copy of your Italian itinerary - we've been planning on going there for a while & I think it's only 3-4 vacations away (meaning 2 summers or so).
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial
    I'm gonna keep this under my hat. My son comes back from his mission (2 years no swimming!) in early August & has to report to his college team 2 weeks later. That would be something he wouldn't want to have hanging over his head, on top of everything else!!

Sounds like I'm gonna want a copy of your Italian itinerary - we've been planning on going there for a while & I think it's only 3-4 vacations away (meaning 2 summers or so).
    Yikes two years out of the pool?! Too bad he doesn't have a little more time to et in shape.

I love Italy. There's no where you won't love. Well, unless you rent a dusky villa with scorpions (true story of a friend). We're doing Venice-Verona-Padua-Athens-Olympus-Rhodes-Mykonos-Santorini-Ephesus-Venice. I know I won't want to come home!
    So about how long did it take you to do a workout like that? No one bothered you at all?

Hope you have a great trip! Sounds really great!
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    So about how long did it take you to do a workout like that? No one bothered you at all?

Hope you have a great trip! Sounds really great!
    It took about an hour and 20 minutes tops. My sprint workouts usually take and hour and a half.

No one bothered me. The pool is usually dead at rec swim during the day, even at lunch hour. They don't sell memberships to the public, so are missing a source of revenue. I've always had my own lane in the deep end with a block.