View RSS Feed

Pete's swim blog

June Blog - State games results

Rate this Entry
by , June 23rd, 2014 at 12:10 PM (191 Views)
Alabama State Games

I've been training for the Alabama State games for the last month or so. This is a fun meet that I do mostly because I get to swim on the same team as my kids. The events are all fairly short 50, 100, 200 free +100s of each stroke and a 200 IM. It's not what I typically go for but the 200 free and 200 IM are worth trying without swimming a 1650 first. Training for this has been great. I've been shooting for a sub-2:00 in the 200 free for a while and it looked like I would get it this time around. A couple weeks ago, I swam a 2:10 in practice and had a 1:59 broken 200 free at the beginning of taper.

Sadly, I sabotaged all my efforts in several different ways. First, I officiated two late away meets last week and ended up spending way too much time on my feet. I didn't rest and it didn't help my taper any. Second, I agreed to apprentice stroke and turn judge at the games. They sanctioned this meet with USAS this year so I got an opportunity to squeeze in another session and get closer to full certification. I don't think it hurt much at the beginning of the meet but 4 hours standing up didn't help my later events. Third, I didn't warm up enough. That's partially because of a meeting for excuse #2. I really need a solid 1500 yards to get going and only did about 500 for this meet. Fourth, I gained too much weight. I typically gain a few pounds during taper topping out at around 188-190. Yesterday, I weighed 196. Fifth, I just didn't feel very good Saturday. A quick bathroom break before my 100 fly seemed to improve things for me but prior to that, I just didn't feel great before any of my races. Finally, I went on vacation just prior to taper. I did swim quite a bit on vacation but my intensity levels dropped and I wasn't focused on sprinting any.

With all my excuses out of the way, here's the bad, bad and ugly:

200 Free - Seed time: 2:03.04, Meet time: 2:05.67
Splits: 28.55, 31.49, 32.72, 32.91
No sugar coating this disaster. I was on pace after 100 yards but just fell apart. No energy left and I ended up coasting home.

50 Free - Seed time: 25.97, Meet time: 26.40
This really wasn't too terrible but I should be faster than that. During practice, I did a 26 unshaved.

200 IM - Seed time: 2:21.75, Meet time: 2:22.99
Splits: 30.53, 40.59, 39.97, 31.90
This wasn't too bad either and while it was slower than last year, it was faster than I swam earlier this year in Auburn. My breaststroke split was pretty bad for me though.

100 Breast - Seed time: 1:09.53. Meet time: 1:12.51
Splits: 34.75, 37.76
This swim felt great but it was way off my time from last year. When I touched the wall, I thought I might have set a personal best but the clock disagreed.

100 Fly - Seed time: 1:05.02, Meet time: 1:05.94
Splits: 30.61, 35.33
Looks like I went out a bit fast but overall this was one of my better races. And I really didn't train for it at all.

100 Free - Seed time: 56.89, Meet time: 59.31
Splits: 28.62, 30.69At this point, I was resigned to having a poor meet and I was so tired anything under 1:00 was going to be a "victory".

Since nobody else signed up in my age group this year all races were uncontested and I'm a repeating 6-time Alabama State Champion. Next year, I'll either take my taper a little more seriously and not officiate or just forget the taper and swim it tired. But I'm not going through the trouble of shaving just to stink it up again.

Next Month: Top ten watch... will my 1650 time make the preliminary listing this year? Or, will a missing pool measurement or unlisted event result knock me out? Stay tuned!

Submit "June Blog - State games results" to Digg Submit "June Blog - State games results" to del.icio.us Submit "June Blog - State games results" to StumbleUpon Submit "June Blog - State games results" to Google

Updated June 23rd, 2014 at 12:25 PM by pmccoy

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments