View RSS Feed

After a long rest

Week 92 - Friday(training camp)

Rate this Entry
My wife and I went out for dinner with one of my team mates and his wife last night. We went to an English pub/restaurant that just opened in Rockwall called the Londoner. The food was typically English and despite me being English it was a little too greasy for my taste in general. I had a scotch egg as a starter which I have never had in the US. It was pretty good but again a little greasy. They had a good beer selection but since I am not drinking I was unable to take advantage of the selection. It's hard to believe I have not had any alcohol in almost two years.

I had had an ok nights sleep but was tired this morning. It felt like it took me forever to warm up today. We had a great crowd at this mornings session and we swam the main set together which was fun. Tom comes up with some awesome sets and this was an interesting and fun(in a very sick way) set.

Warm up
400 free with snorkel
12x50 drill swim on 1 min

Main sets
200 fast
38x50 on 2mins AFAP

Warm down
300 easy

Total 3400 LCM

The idea behind the main set was that we are celebrating the 238th anniversary of our countries existence so this was a 200 and a 38 set. We had a few visitors today and one of whom was our 12 year old number 1 nationally ranked 100 swimmer. I know Emma pretty well and she has swum with our masters team a number of times in the past. She and I had to do all 38 x 50s from a dive and different members of our group took turns in keeping Emma and I company. The 200 I went a 2:16. I broke the 38x50s into blocks of 10 with 2x50s easy and then finished with 2x50s hard. I know this is hard to believe but I held 27-28 on all the fast 50s(that's 32 of them). I would not have been able to do this without my team getting up and racing me throughout.

There is no other way of describing this main set other than as hell. I hurt really badly but kept focus on each 50 and tried forgetting during each 50 how many we had left. I was really happy with how I did and honestly I did not expect to have both speed and endurance at this phase of the camp.

Our group going to worlds have worked there butts off this week and they deserve a lot of credit for all the energy put forth. Two more workouts to go on the training camp.

i almost forgot that that I did weights after practice today also. I did my normal 3 rounds with 10,8,6 reps per round at 80%, max, fail also by round.

3x(leg press, leg extension, leg curls, lunges, squats, lower back extension)

Submit "Week 92 - Friday(training camp)" to Digg Submit "Week 92 - Friday(training camp)" to del.icio.us Submit "Week 92 - Friday(training camp)" to StumbleUpon Submit "Week 92 - Friday(training camp)" to Google

Updated July 4th, 2014 at 11:58 AM by StewartACarroll

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Nice workout today! It was fun even though it hurt. Can't wait for our last day of boot camp!
    What a killer way to end a killer week. I'm exhausted reading your blogs as you've gone through this training camp. Great job! You're going to sleep like a baby for a few more days, aren't you?

You sound like you're ready to tackle the world in competition coming next month. Stewart, I have no doubt you're going to kill it!!
    Congratulations, you did my PB 32 times on 2:00! Are you 19 years old?
    Quote Originally Posted by ndauksavage
    Nice workout today! It was fun even though it hurt. Can't wait for our last day of boot camp!
    It was great fun and the group seemed to really get into it. Two more workouts!
    Quote Originally Posted by flystorms
    What a killer way to end a killer week. I'm exhausted reading your blogs as you've gone through this training camp. Great job! You're going to sleep like a baby for a few more days, aren't you?

You sound like you're ready to tackle the world in competition coming next month. Stewart, I have no doubt you're going to kill it!!
    Its been a very tiring week for sure, but we have had some awesome sets and I was especially pleased with a couple of test sets; my best average kick set in particular I was very happy with and I have been working on my kick for over a year now. Thanks for the kind wishes.

We have a month to go but fingers crossed all the hard work over the past year will result in my entire team having fun swimming fast at worlds. I have some lofty personal goals but at this point I don't think I could have done much more to prepare. Two more workouts and then time to start cutting back.
    Quote Originally Posted by __steve__
    Congratulations, you did my PB 32 times on 2:00! Are you 19 years old?
    Thanks Steve. I wish I recovered like a 19 year old but alas those days are long gone(I am 44). It was funny after about 20 or so of the 50s, I looked over at Emma and she was dancing around between 50s while I had my hands on my knees gasping for air.