forward lunges w/15 lb DBs, 1 x 20
total ab machine, 120 x 1 x 15, 130 x 1 x 15, 140 x 1 x 15
decline reverse crunch, 2 x 25
elevated crunch w/med ball, 2 x 25

prone scapular scrunches w/ 5 lb DBs, 2 x 25
external rotators, 10 x 2 x 15, each side
hip hinges w/ 10 lb DBs, 1 x 15, left leg

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Decided to do a test set today. Hadn't done any real lactate work in awhile. I was tired from 4:30 am carpool duty and weights, but decided to just git 'er done anyway. There's never an ideal time to do these sets.

Warm up:

700 variety swim, kick, drill

4 x 25 UW shooter on back, no fins

2 x (25 build free + 25 EZ)
1 x 25 AFAP free
50 EZ

Lactate Set:

5 x 100 backstroke w/fins @ 8:00
200 EZ after each one

Went 57.5, 57.5, 58, 57, 57
(cramped on the last couple, but swam through it)

I'd like to also have a test set for 100s kicking and 50s swimming and kicking.
Total: 2475

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The soreness from weights has abated. But there are still a couple isolated muscles in my upper arms bothering me. I'm not sure, but I think they are from using the ab sling. The ab sling seems to take some of the direct weight from the hanging ab work off the shoulders, but it's hard on some muscles. Not sure if this is something you get used to or not.

I've started warming up more on certain exercises before attempting to increase weight. As the weight gets heavier, this intuitively seems to be advisable. Am I doing this correctly?

McTrusty noted on his blog that Eddie Reese recommends keeping your hands very close together on your fly pull. Your thumbs, if extended, should almost touch. I think I need to work on this more. I'm pretty sure I've gotten most of the old S type pull out of my stroke.

Submit "Weights + Lactate Set,  Wed., May 20" to Digg Submit "Weights + Lactate Set,  Wed., May 20" to del.icio.us Submit "Weights + Lactate Set,  Wed., May 20" to StumbleUpon Submit "Weights + Lactate Set,  Wed., May 20" to Google

Updated May 20th, 2009 at 08:47 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Test Sets

Comments

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Is it permitted to ask a swimming-related question?

It's great that you did a lactate set, hard to do on your own...but why did you use fins?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stevenson
    Is it permitted to ask a swimming-related question?

It's great that you did a lactate set, hard to do on your own...but why did you use fins?
    I use fins on all my speed sets typically. I find them to be a speed substitute for the tech suit. You get a similar feel, and it's more akin to race pace than without fins for me. But I'll probably do some without fins too. I hadn't done any AFAP 100s in awhile, and it did hurt.
    I've been pulling fly down in a tapering V and then at the bottom of the pull exiting the hands out pinky first and recovering...it's helped me.
    Quote Originally Posted by SwimStud
    I've been pulling fly down in a tapering V and then at the bottom of the pull exiting the hands out pinky first and recovering...it's helped me.
    Is it supposed to be a tapering V though? I thought you were supposed to pull straight down? If so, shouldn't the hands be closer together sooner? I think I enter shoulder width apart, thumbs down then turn hands flat and pull down. Thumbs seem like they're only a couple inches apart. I will have to pay more attention to this in the water tomorrow.
    well yeah...but unless you're entering in streamline you're going to bring hands together inn some form of V. Like you I'm not sweeping out then in but going entry then EVF (trying to) hands forming a small triangular shape (without touching).
    My fly looks like this in practice. Is this right?

Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    My fly looks like this in practice. Is this right?

What, you're not the stereotypical free-flyer?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Is it supposed to be a tapering V though? I thought you were supposed to pull straight down? If so, shouldn't the hands be closer together sooner? I think I enter shoulder width apart, thumbs down then turn hands flat and pull down. Thumbs seem like they're only a couple inches apart. I will have to pay more attention to this in the water tomorrow.
    From what I understand, your hands should get close together under your neck/chin and then pull through under your body. Mike Bottom has Cavic pretty much eliminating the traditional outsweep altogether. That seems to work well for some people, particularly sprint fliers. That said, I still need to do some outsweep for my timing to work.

I had originally learned the "hourglass" pull, closer to Stud's description, when I was younger. But I think instead of being fatter at the top and bottom and tapering down to a short neck, it should be more like an hourglass with a smaller top and bottom and really long neck.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    What, you're not the stereotypical free-flyer?
    I am sure I am a stereotypical something, but it isn't a free-flyer, that is for sure.

Maybe after I break 1:50.
    Quote Originally Posted by mctrusty
    From what I understand, your hands should get close together under your neck/chin and then pull through under your body. Mike Bottom has Cavic pretty much eliminating the traditional outsweep altogether. That seems to work well for some people, particularly sprint fliers. That said, I still need to do some outsweep for my timing to work.

I had originally learned the "hourglass" pull, closer to Stud's description, when I was younger. But I think instead of being fatter at the top and bottom and tapering down to a short neck, it should be more like an hourglass with a smaller top and bottom and really long neck.
    Thx. Tried it out today. This is what I seem to naturally be doing, at least in my sprint fly.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12