View RSS Feed

Questions from Coaches

Q: How do I attract more fitness swimmers to my program?

Rate this Entry
by , February 15th, 2014 at 12:00 AM (487 Views)
Q: How do I attract more fitness swimmers to my program?

A: Many adults are afraid they don't belong in a "Masters" swimming program. Their fears and concerns must be overcome before they will consider participating. The list of fears and concerns are daunting but can be minimized or eliminated by a genuinely caring coach. Once a coach demonstrates how much they care--rather than how much they know--a partnership between the athlete and coach can begin to form. Ideally, this partnership will develop into one of mutual trust.

I recommend hosting a clinic for the first time Masters swimmer or novice. Many Masters programs around the country host an introductory clinic for new swimmers to meet the coach, explore the pool, and get a feel for the program's dynamics. Advertise the introductory clinic at your facility, the local sports shops, and nutrition stores. Ask your current athletes to refer a friend or family member.

Organizing the clinic by ability level and making each swimmer feel successful during the time they spend with you greatly enhances the chances each swimmer will return. Improvement during this initial clinic should be viewed as a byproduct, not the primary goal; overcoming fears and concerns should be your primary objective of the clinic

Submit "Q: How do I attract more fitness swimmers to my program?" to Digg Submit "Q: How do I attract more fitness swimmers to my program?" to del.icio.us Submit "Q: How do I attract more fitness swimmers to my program?" to StumbleUpon Submit "Q: How do I attract more fitness swimmers to my program?" to Google