View RSS Feed

Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine

Workout 07/09/14: OW evening

Rate this Entry
With storm clouds rolling into town, I headed south to the Berkshires of Massachusetts to join the Simon's Rock crew for a Wednesday evening open water swim (my first). I picked up my buddy Brent in Williamstown and we car pooled down to meet up with the crew. Instead of a swim from the public boat launch on the southern part of Goose Pond we journeyed to the northern end of the Lake for what was dubbed an epic swim, which did not disappoint.

(Looking east along the north end of Goose Pond. The canal is along the northern edge of the lake)

The water was rough in the main lake, with small whitecaps forming and strongly pushing us towards the opening of the canal. Goose spills into a protected reserve called Upper Goose Pond, which is actually on the Application Trail route in the area and is totally undeveloped. Swimming through the canal was indeed a treat, made possible due to some heavy storms over the past few days. The trees formed a strong canopy over the passage, and I kept feeling like I was moving through a scene from an Indian Jones movie! Goose is pretty deep, but the canal was quite shallow in places and full of some wonderful rocks and schools of fish to follow.

(Here is Todd coming through the winding passage)

The view from the other side, into Upper Goose Pond, was absolutely stunning and the water was transformed from a rough swell to near placid conditions. The sun was starting to lower as we headed out to explore the small island and take a short break before heading back through the canal to our launch beach.

(The pod of swimmers, nine in total, as we headed away from the mouth of the canal to the island right of center with our safe swimmer buoys in tow)

We swam into the sun the whole way back, and once we returned to Goose Pond after the canal the churning water met us along with the wind. It was a tough swim back but we were able to sight off a lone tall tree on the northern edge of the lake.

The conditions (despite the wind) were most ideal for a swim, with the water in the upper 60's and the air in the upper 70's. Our track shows a 1.77 mile jaunt in total, and the storms affected my area did not materialize during our swim. Besides the tremendous beauty of the area and the great fellowship with the swimmers there, the previous few times this particular path for this swim has been aborted due to the summertime storms that seem to flare up so quickly. I was so excited to be able to join in this adventure!

Submit "Workout 07/09/14: OW evening" to Digg Submit "Workout 07/09/14: OW evening" to del.icio.us Submit "Workout 07/09/14: OW evening" to StumbleUpon Submit "Workout 07/09/14: OW evening" to Google

Tags: berkshires
Categories
Swim Workouts , Open Water

Comments