View RSS Feed

After a long rest

Week 93 - Friday

Rate this Entry
To this point in my adult life I have not been a fan of massages; I know that too many this reaffirms how weird I am, but there is something about a stranger touching me that I have always found quite off putting. This all said I have changed my mind. Due to my soreness I asked my wife to arrange a deep tissue massage for me. I think my actual words were, "please arrange for a former east german swimmer to pound on my back and shoulders for an hour and a half". When I showed up for my appointment I definitely did not have anyone that looked like my description. Instead TC was a very small South Korean man with a very soft voice. You can imagine what I was thinking! After about 30 seconds I realised TC was a very skilled massage expert who also must have been a former Judo world champion. I went from speaking to complete silence within 30 seconds. I have never ever felt so much pain and pleasure in my life. TC continued to beat, stretch, twist and thump my back, shoulders, neck and legs for another 1.5 hours. When I was done I had not said a word, I was out of breath, and mush. At the end of my appointment I made my next one and signed up for the once a month massage for the next year(seriously). It was awesome.

I had a lousy nights sleep, probably due to the pain, and pleasure of the massage, and probably only got a couple of hours of sleep before I had to get up for practice. Todays workout was much less yardage again(second day in a row). I felt sore from the massage in the warmup but when we got to the main set I felt pretty good and had a great set of 50s at 800m pace. I am feeling much better than I thought at this point with only 23 days til worlds.

Warm up
400 free with snorkel
6x50 alternating finger tip drag and catchup on :50

Main sets
10x50 drill build by 25 on 1min
20x50 with tempo trainer holding 33.5 per 50 to my feet on 1:07(one beep of rest on the tempo trainer)
6x100 kick on 2mins

Warm down
700 LCM with snorkel perfect swim

Total 3500LCM

On the 50s at 800 pace I was comfortably holding 32-33s and on the last 6 picked up the pace dropping to 28 on the last one. There was quite a bit of rest on these pace 50s but I felt like I had a lot of easy speed. I am feeling really good and more rest will really help. Considering we have not even really started our taper yet I am swimming very well at the moment.

Submit "Week 93 - Friday" to Digg Submit "Week 93 - Friday" to del.icio.us Submit "Week 93 - Friday" to StumbleUpon Submit "Week 93 - Friday" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Glad you have found a great masseuse. Learn from how you recover from this one if you're planning one ahead of Worlds. Different people have different windows, but I like to get a pre-taper-meet massage about 4-5 days ahead of the meet; too much closer to the meet and I still might feel a bit beaten up.

You are swimming strong and fast and you will swim stronger and faster in Montreal.
    I hope the therapist told you to try to take things easy, relax, drink more fluids (water) than normal, and ICE after the massage?
    Updated July 11th, 2014 at 10:23 PM by aztimm
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Glad you have found a great masseuse. Learn from how you recover from this one if you're planning one ahead of Worlds. Different people have different windows, but I like to get a pre-taper-meet massage about 4-5 days ahead of the meet; too much closer to the meet and I still might feel a bit beaten up.
    i decided I did not know how I was going to react to the massage so decided to do my next one after worlds. I think I will add a massage once a month to my regular training routine. I am also interest in adding yoga after worlds. I thought I had a strong core but after the dry lands during training camp and this week I realize I have a lot of room for improvement.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    I hope the therapist told you to try to take things easy, relax, drink more fluids (water) than normal, and ICE after the massage? .
    Yes I drank a lot before and after the massage. One of my training partners told me to drink Gatorade. He said the electrolytes help with recovery. I usually drink Gatorade during my workout anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    I actually had a German therapist for a while. Tall, strong, ultra-runner (a marathon isn't enough for her) After my first session with her, I tried running the next day, and had to quit fairly early, and even had trouble walking.
    I was expecting a masseuse with huge muscles, and TC was definitively not that. As it turned out I don't think it mattered because TC caused plenty of pain. I felt pretty good this morning. We shall see what tomorrow holds.