View RSS Feed

Questions from Coaches

Coaches who are swimmers can do both

Rate this Entry
Q: I'm a Masters swimmer who has been asked to coach a group of Masters swimmers at my pool. Can I coach them while I swim? I don't have time to coach and swim at separate practices.

A: Yes, you can coach and swim at the same time. Many of the coaches in our organization share the same time constraints as you. In order for the USMS liability and excess accident insurance to remain in effect during your practice, someone with USMS membership must be on deck with "line-of-sight" on all the athletes. This "line-of-sight" requirement is true of pool, dryland, and open water practices.

If you have lifeguards on duty during the practices that you would like to coach from the water, and your local statutes permit it, register the lifeguards as USMS members. The registration fee is well worth the investment so you can swim while coaching.

Submit "Coaches who are swimmers can do both" to Digg Submit "Coaches who are swimmers can do both" to del.icio.us Submit "Coaches who are swimmers can do both" to StumbleUpon Submit "Coaches who are swimmers can do both" to Google