View RSS Feed

Questions from Coaches

How do I find a coach for our Masters program?

Rate this Entry
by , September 15th, 2013 at 01:00 AM (411 Views)
Q: How do I find a coach for our Masters program?

A: Finding a qualified Masters coach takes time and patience. Before you begin your search, it's important to define the job description. More importantly, you should determine the goals of your program.

Once you have your program identity and goals defined, you can search for a coach with the same values. It's critical to hire a coach who understands that swimming needs to be fun while helping swimmers and the program meet stated goals and objectives.

Programs can advertise for a Masters coach in the USMS Discussion Forums, in the local print media, or any number of online employment services. Contact local age group, high school, and college swim teams; they often have swim coaches interested in additional coaching opportunities. The more irons you put in the fire, the greater the chance the most qualified coach will apply for the position.

Applicants should be required to send a résumé and cover letter. I recommend having applicants write a one-paragraph statement of why they want to coach Masters swimming--give applicants an opportunity to do some homework on Masters.

After reviewing the applications, determine which applicants are worthy of further review. Schedule phone interviews with out-of-town applicants and in-person interviews with local candidates. Make your final selection and negotiate the compensation and benefits. Both parties should sign a letter of agreement outlining each other's responsibilities.

Submit "How do I find a coach for our Masters program?" to Digg Submit "How do I find a coach for our Masters program?" to del.icio.us Submit "How do I find a coach for our Masters program?" to StumbleUpon Submit "How do I find a coach for our Masters program?" to Google