View RSS Feed

Chowmi's Blog

South Central Zones - meet report

Rate this Entry
by , July 22nd, 2014 at 08:49 AM (521 Views)
Super long time no blogging!

Well, here is how I did at the SC zone meet this weekend:

50 back 33.73 (new zone record)
100 fly 1:11.11 (34.36/36.75) (new zone record)
50 free 28.76 (missed the record 28.60)
200 fly 2:59.7 (37.79/45.40 (1:23.19)/48.68/47.89 (missed the record 2:55.29)
50 fly 30.96 (new zone record)

Very happy with times and quality of the swims, particularly the 100 fly. That is a very small spread so I think I could take it out faster. I had a lot left in the tank coming home. I haven't been swimming LCM and I don't like LCM. So I think I can scratch training it off my list permanently.

50 Back - I think it was a lifetime best.

50 Fly - super awesome and great split. Even in SCY, my split 3-4 seconds slower.

50 free - solid. I am not going to focus too much on this.

200 fly - I don't think I swam it efficiently at all. I want to do it again. I'd like to go a 2:50ish next time, somewhere closer to 37, low 40, 45, 45. Probably just go out faster than that 1:23, like around 1:20 and come back in 1:30. I'll have years to improve from there. It seems mid 40's is a very respectable range for a 200 fly, so start with 2:50 barrier and then inch my way down to the 40's. Most amazingly, yours truly incorporated butterfrog for parts of the last 100. For LCM, I think this is a great strategy. I can rest the front of my body since there is no turn in sight for 45+ seconds! Over time, I can wean myself off of it, but for now, hey, it works for me!

50 fly - I was on fumes by this time, but I was super happy with the swim. I've been working my fly kick and that really saved me on this swim. I used a 4 breathing pattern, which is very different that SCY at 1 down/1 back. But for some reason, I just need the air in LCM and this pattern works well.

I'm really happy I swam this meet. I will likely get 5 top ten times, which will put me at 190 and so I will really try to find SCM meets to go and swim as many events as possible to get to 200 by the end of 2014. I've been trying really hard to stay in decent condition and very solid race shape through the summer, with the goal to be in prime shape going INTO the SCM and then SCY seasons. Almost every year, I am "starting over" in the fall and I think a big improvement (which could mean the ability to swim many more events at meets) will be to enter the season with strong racing form.

Submit "South Central Zones - meet report" to Digg Submit "South Central Zones - meet report" to del.icio.us Submit "South Central Zones - meet report" to StumbleUpon Submit "South Central Zones - meet report" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Excellent meet chowmi. What a stud for swimming the 2fly and with zero LCM training! great times. Congrats.
    Yes, great meet. I'm the most impressed with the 100 fly. Were the events over 1 or 2 days?

I agree about long course. I need to breath much more in the 50s than short course.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    Excellent meet chowmi. What a stud for swimming the 2fly and with zero LCM training! great times. Congrats.
    Thanks!! I decided life was too short to train LCM, so my plan this year was to just suffer through it at the meet and avoid LCM practices altogether. I still did pretty good, and some extra tenths here and there and a painful 3 minutes of fly was ok with me, versus hours of LCM workouts, yuck! tee hee!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Yes, great meet. I'm the most impressed with the 100 fly. Were the events over 1 or 2 days?

I agree about long course. I need to breath much more in the 50s than short course.
    Hi Fort! It was a 2 day meet. 50 back/100 fly the first day, then 50 free/200 fly/50 fly. I scratched the 50 breast because it was right before the 100 fly. Hope you are doing well after vacation!!
    Great job! I wish I'd have met you there. Maybe another time, huh? We're in the same age group, but you're obviously a sprinter to my distance. I think we only overlapped in the 50 free.

Congratulations! You're awesome!
    Most excellent meet and I'll add my props for swimming the 200 fly, as well. However, while I agree you could go faster, I think you'll find it more enjoyable if you were to back off the first 50 more and aim for something like 0:39 - 0:43 - 0:44 - 0:44 (1:22 - 1:28) to get to that 2:50 time.

I'm with you on trying to stay in better shape "between seasons" so it's not a re-building effort from ground zero. Back in my youth, I used to adore taking 2-3 weeks of sheer nothingness after long course season, but it would only take me a few weeks to bounce back after that. I can't afford that kind of gap as I get older.

For SCM, Ron Johnson meet should be the November 15th-16th weekend. AND, since you've done the 200 fly, you may as well add a good, open water swim to your repertoire and come out for the Mesa SCM meet on Sep 27th and our State OW champs on Sep 28th (see http://azlmsc.org/events/ and http://www.azopenwater.com/#!az-stat...pionship/c1pl8).
    Quote Originally Posted by flystorms
    Great job! I wish I'd have met you there. Maybe another time, huh? We're in the same age group, but you're obviously a sprinter to my distance. I think we only overlapped in the 50 free.

Congratulations! You're awesome!
    Maybe we will meet at the Baylor SCM meet!!
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Most excellent meet and I'll add my props for swimming the 200 fly, as well. However, while I agree you could go faster, I think you'll find it more enjoyable if you were to back off the first 50 more and aim for something like 0:39 - 0:43 - 0:44 - 0:44 (1:22 - 1:28) to get to that 2:50 time.

I'm with you on trying to stay in better shape "between seasons" so it's not a re-building effort from ground zero. Back in my youth, I used to adore taking 2-3 weeks of sheer nothingness after long course season, but it would only take me a few weeks to bounce back after that. I can't afford that kind of gap as I get older.

For SCM, Ron Johnson meet should be the November 15th-16th weekend. AND, since you've done the 200 fly, you may as well add a good, open water swim to your repertoire and come out for the Mesa SCM meet on Sep 27th and our State OW champs on Sep 28th (see http://azlmsc.org/events/ and http://www.azopenwater.com/#!az-stat...pionship/c1pl8).
    Hi PWB!!! YES!!! I have the Ron Jon penciled in and chowsh will be making her pilgrimage to pick me up at Sky Harbor, tee hee!!!!!

I started making a third closet (one at home, one in Breck, CO, and now finally getting smart and starting my own stash at chowsh's!!) so I already have a pair of warm Uggs and sweat pants waiting for me in Chandler. Finally we know what to get each other for xmas and birthdays - duplicate clothing at each other's house! I might ask for a parka this year. Heck, maybe even a fastsuit and leave it there! And one can never have too many pairs of clean underwear and socks! I'd like to get to the point where I can just board the plane with just my purse and stolen scooby snacks from the AA Admiral's Club. I can afford a muffin, even at airport prices, but they aren't as satisfying unless scrumpled in a napkin in your purse that you swiped for free.

I'm quite sure I will sit out of open water swims, having checked off Alcatraz and LJRWS from my bucket list. tee hee!!