View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Thursday, May 21

Rate this Entry
Woke up. Had coffee. Had more coffee. Checked to see the status of tech suits. Drank water. Searched Fort Son's luggage for prohibited performance enhancing substances (lol) and then dropped it off at school for his trip. Then ... finally got around to:

Holding the plank for 1:30
push ups, 3 x 25
crunches on yoga ball, 4 x 25

Run:

3.5 mile trail run. Calves still sore. If I'm going to carry on with running, I think I'm occasionally going to have to stick my calves in an ice bucket at night.

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 variety warm up

10 x 25 UW shooter on back @ 55, no fins

8 x 25 easy speed fly @ :45, focusing on pull

Main set: Swim-Kick Mountain

After doing Patrick's workout and a lactate set, decided it was a day for aerobic work. So did a combo swim-kick mountain. (I'd probably fall asleep if I swam the whole thing.)

100 back @ 1:30
200, alternate 50 br-dolphin w/MF and 50 MF dolphin kick @ 3:00
300 dolphin kick w/MF, alternate on back & w/board by 100s (didn't see the interval, as I changed lanes after this)
400 IM, drilled the fly @ 6:30
500 fartlek dolphin kick, alternate on back & with board (200, 200, 100)
400 IM, drilled the fly @ 6:30
300 one arm fly drill w/MF @ 5:00
200 alternate 50 br-dolphin w/MF and 50 MF dolphin kick @ 3:00
100 back @ 3:00

100 EZ

Total: 3750

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tentative Meet Schedule:

June 14, FISH Invitational at GMU

Sent an email to the meet director. Asked to enter the 200 back. Entered at my converted time + 2 seconds. (I hate the Swimming World converter; I'm not a kid and don't covert like one.)

June 21, Terrapin Cup at U of Md

Got an email notification from Muppet today that the Terrapins are holding the Terrapin Cup again this year at U of Md. Really happy about that. Glanced quickly at the lineup and will probably enter the 50 back, 100 back, and 50 fly. I will likely do a 3 day mini taper for this meet. I'm a little paranoid about Indy being my only meet for LCM times. As Ahelee noted on the forum, what if you're sick for your focus meet? It'd be nice to have some back up times, as well as the racing experience.

July 19, Junior Champs at U of Md

Will probably enter the 100 fly and 50 free on Sunday

August 5-10, LCM Nats

Will probably enter the 50 breast, 50/100/200 back, 50 fly and 50 free + relays

I've booked my hotel and plane.

Tech Suit Quandry:

It appears that, at this moment, B70s are still legal for USMS sanctioned events. Neither USMS or FINA has stated whether these times will be valid for TT. This is rather critical information. I certainly don't want to risk a DQ or time invalidation. If B70s are legal and the times count, I will wear mine at the USMS meets this summer. If they're not, I'm in need of new tech suit, probably a primary and back up suit. Right now, my tech "suitfolio" consists of one old FS Pro with a small hole -- not exactly a safe bet at a meet.

I've been in contact with Rocket Science about the Rocket Skin. Along with apparently 100s of other masters swimmers. They are sold out in the small sizes of women's suits until late June, when they will get another supply. It's unclear whether that supply will meet current demand. For any ladies interested, I find the sizing charts confusing. There seems to be a disconnect between the measurement criteria and the height/weight criteria. In any event, I'm told I'm a women's extra small. Must be vanity sizing.

I noticed that there are some Pros available at swimoutlet. I would also consider buying a LZR for Indy if the B70s are banned and I can't get a Rocket skin. But my understanding is that LZRs are few and far between too. Mr. Fort could be aghast (tho maybe not), but he is buying a bike for Savageman, so he can hardly complain!

If the B70s are illegal, I'll probably try to get away with wearing my old Pro at my June meets. I looked at my Pro & B70 times in the events I'll swim for comparison:

50 back LCM
Pro, 33.4
B70, 33.4

100 back LCM
Pro, 1:14.1
B70, 1:13.4

50 fly LCM
Pro 31.6
B70, 31.1

If I swim in my Pro, I would wager that at least in the backstroke events, my Pro times this summer would be faster than my B70 times from last summer -- absent illness or some intervening factor. I guess we'll see ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Leaving for NJ in the am, since my son's race isn't until mid afternoon. Lot of driving tomorrow. And, very sadly, I'll miss the initial stampede of people and young children arriving for Memorial Day festivities at my house on Friday afternoon.

Submit "Thursday, May 21" to Digg Submit "Thursday, May 21" to del.icio.us Submit "Thursday, May 21" to StumbleUpon Submit "Thursday, May 21" to Google

Updated May 22nd, 2009 at 11:21 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Running

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    What, no shiny Jaked for you?
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    What, no shiny Jaked for you?
    Nope, last I heard it was $800?!?! And fuschua is NOT for me.

I'm hoping Ourswimmer is right and the powers that be are taking temporary pity on spendthrift B70 masters.
    About $515 for the full length, but you are right hold out for better colors.
    "Run:

3.5 mile trail run. Calves still sore. If I'm going to carry on with running, I think I'm occasionally going to have to stick my calves in an ice bucket at night."

The guy I run with on Tuesdays puts his feet in ice while we eat breakfast afterwards. The first time I thought it was odd, but now I'm used to it.

I have heel spurs on both feet, and was prescribed a brace. I really really make sure to wear it after my longer runs, much of the day on Sunday when I'm at home (unfortunately Sundays are usually errand days, walking through Super Target and Costco). My doctor also suggested using a frozen vegetable on any inflamed spots, but I haven't yet gone that route.

We chatted about trail running -v- non-trails the other day (that guy, his gf, and I). I hardly do any true trail runs (I'm extremely spoiled by the packed dirt or blacktop along the canal). But they both told me that it builds up the stabilizer muscles in your legs, and can help prevent injury. Just over the past few weeks I feel much stronger. So I think your trail runs will help you in the long run.
    Red Jaked would be cool to wear. I hope, I can get this one next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    About $515 for the full length, but you are right hold out for better colors.
    Black, black, black -- to match the rest of my wardrobe.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Black, black, black -- to match the rest of my wardrobe.
    They have black now.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    The guy I run with on Tuesdays puts his feet in ice while we eat breakfast afterwards. The first time I thought it was odd, but now I'm used to it.

I have heel spurs on both feet, and was prescribed a brace. I really really make sure to wear it after my longer runs, much of the day on Sunday when I'm at home (unfortunately Sundays are usually errand days, walking through Super Target and Costco). My doctor also suggested using a frozen vegetable on any inflamed spots, but I haven't yet gone that route.

We chatted about trail running -v- non-trails the other day (that guy, his gf, and I). I hardly do any true trail runs (I'm extremely spoiled by the packed dirt or blacktop along the canal). But they both told me that it builds up the stabilizer muscles in your legs, and can help prevent injury. Just over the past few weeks I feel much stronger. So I think your trail runs will help you in the long run.
    I think trail running is generally the way to go. It suits me because, along with my shoulder paranoia, I have stress fracture paranoia. So I attempt to avoid cement and asphalt. Packed dirt is good! Most runners I know that spend time on the trails do very well in all the hilly sections of marathons and are relatively more injury free.

I think I'm going to do use the ice bucket tonight, and see if I can sense a difference. I just feel like I need to start zapping the lactic acid out to prevent some of the cramping and fatigue that settles in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazyman
    Red Jaked would be cool to wear. I hope, I can get this one next year.
    Wait until FINA announces what is legal after the end of this year! You never know what will be on the list. Although I have no idea whether the other Jakeds are like the super charged 01 that was banned.
    I like how you are doing different events at the inseason meets. It is good that you are doing the 200 back. Bousquets's Jaked looked very cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    I like how you are doing different events at the inseason meets. It is good that you are doing the 200 back. Bousquets's Jaked looked very cool.
    You know, I lucked out a wee bit on the order of events at these meets. I could only swim the Sundays of the USA meets, so that rounded out the Terrapin Cup nicely. I wish they had 50s more often at the kids' LC meets.

I wonder if Bousquet will get to keep that record though?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    You know, I lucked out a wee bit on the order of events at these meets. I could only swim the Sundays of the USA meets, so that rounded out the Terrapin Cup nicely. I wish they had 50s more often at the kids' LC meets.

I wonder if Bousquet will get to keep that record though?
    It would be crazy to strip someone of a WR when the swimmer didn't know it was illegal to wear a certain suit.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    It would be crazy to strip someone of a WR when the swimmer didn't know it was illegal to wear a certain suit.
    Was the Jaked 01 ever approved though?
    This suit quandary does suck, doubly so because of the availability issue. Maybe we could get FINA to change their minds with this simple argument, "Normal mortals can't buy a tech suit. Until supply gets more in line with demand, we're going to let the free market be free." But, oh, yeah, I don't think that the powers that be at FINA are quite the free market types.

I wonder if I can get the folks at the Goldwater Institute to take up this cause?
    If I were you I wouldn't buy any tech suits right now. The inside scoop I heard from retail friends who sell the stuff is that it's not set in stone and likely to change?
    Do your ice bucket right after you finish running. The longer you wait, the less effective it is.
    Excessive fast trail running is rough on your hips and ankles. I coached the top girl's XC team in the state for years; our kids were never on trails more than 2X per week.
    Also use training shoes. Most trail shoes are stiff, board lasted and straight. (not a good combo for light females unless you are an extreme pronater)
    Good luck in your LCM meets this summer. I am a little sad that I won't be around for a while, but I'm sure I'll find some European meets to attend!:-) I'll make sure to keep you posted and if you happen to get the urge to take a swim vacation to the Old Country, you'll always have a place to stay. And by always, I mean the next two or three years!
    Also, good luck with the suit quandary!
    Quote Originally Posted by pwbrundage
    This suit quandary does suck, doubly so because of the availability issue.
    If there are no suits to replace the "banned" ones, FINA will have just set off another controversy ... I'm sure B70 has a replacement suit in the works, but how long before that suit (if and when approved) goes into production? In the meantime, if Speedo ramps up LZR production, and they must be in anticipation of this ruling, Speedo will be the big winner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobinator
    If I were you I wouldn't buy any tech suits right now. The inside scoop I heard from retail friends who sell the stuff is that it's not set in stone and likely to change?
    Do your ice bucket right after you finish running. The longer you wait, the less effective it is.
    Excessive fast trail running is rough on your hips and ankles. I coached the top girl's XC team in the state for years; our kids were never on trails more than 2X per week.
    Also use training shoes. Most trail shoes are stiff, board lasted and straight. (not a good combo for light females unless you are an extreme pronater)
    Thanks for the tips, Bob. I'll try the ice bucket after running. I can't seem to find one big enough to stick my whole calf in! I think the combined lactic acid from swimming/kicking/finning + weights + running is just too much for the poor things.

A retailer I know here predicted that B70 would be banned in May and has refused to ever stock them. I have the feeling people know a lot more than us swimmers ...
    In terms of FINA TT - is USMS logging what suit is worn by whom in every event of every meet so as to remove offending B70 wearers from submission to FINA at year end? I doubt it.

Ian.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Smith
    In terms of FINA TT - is USMS logging what suit is worn by whom in every event of every meet so as to remove offending B70 wearers from submission to FINA at year end? I doubt it.

Ian.
    Splendid to hear from you, Ian! And now you've reminded me that I need to check the results of Canadian Nationals. I hope you swam well.

I'm sure you're quite right about that policing issue. However, conceivably, a complaint from a swimmer could get the time disallowed. That's what happened to me WRT my 50 fly time trial last year after all ....
    Updated May 22nd, 2009 at 11:05 PM by The Fortress
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast