View RSS Feed

After a long rest

Week 95 - Saturday

Rate this Entry
I had another late night last night but yesterday was a good day. My daughter signed up for a 200IM time trial and she did great and her relay swam at night and she got to experience finals at a big meet. She swam great and really enjoyed the whole experience.

This is morning came too quickly but I got up and got going and started to feel much better on the drive north from Austin to Cedar a Park to swim with Nitro one last time. I had my best practice this week! I don't want to read too much into today because my taper so far has been ups and downs but it was nice to have a strong workout a week out. My easy speed is starting to surface.

Warm up
4x150 with 10 secs between 150s, 2 swum with snorkel, 1 kick, 1 back
200 pull

Main sets
8x75 kick alternating fast,easy,fast by 25 and easy,fast,easy with 15 secs rest
8x50 swum as a broken 400 at 400 pace with 20-30 rest(we did them on 1:15)
100 easy
8x50 on 1min swum as 2x(3 finger tip drill, 1 back)

Warm down
400 free with snorkel

Total 2800LCM

The kick set I felt pretty strong. On the broken 400 I felt amazingly good and actually descended the entire 400. The coach Greg had a watch and I started out at 31.8 and consistently dropped .3 of a second per 50 while feeling really relaxed and strong. At number 6 I went under 30 and kept dropping finishing with a 29 flat with an add up of 4:08. Obviously you don't get 20-30 seconds rest in a 400 but it was nice to swim strong, easy and fast. My heart rate was 150 at the end which is also a great sign. The rest of the workout I swam easy and focused on long strokes.

Tomorrow I am debating how to get water time. Austin before my daughter swims or Dallas after we get home. I like to stay wet the last two weeks of my taper but tomorrow maybe a challenge with my daughter swimming. I am sure it will all workout just fine.

Tomorrow is 1 week to the 800. With such a range of distances in my program I always stress out about the 800 and the 50. My mid events are usually strong but the outliers are unpredictable. I am feeling good about where I am at right now however and unlike my previous taper I have had a lot of rest so far and still have a week to rest even more.

------

just read this funny little piece on swimswam about tapering. In the case of us masters swimmers replace the word parent with spouse and it fits so well.

http://swimswam.com/parents-survival-guide-dealing-taper/

My wife chuckled at "the Hulk" in particular.

Submit "Week 95 - Saturday" to Digg Submit "Week 95 - Saturday" to del.icio.us Submit "Week 95 - Saturday" to StumbleUpon Submit "Week 95 - Saturday" to Google

Updated July 26th, 2014 at 10:01 AM by StewartACarroll

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Stewart, I'm going to rip this workout off next week. You're definitely going to be ready next Sunday. We arrive in Montreal on Sunday (spending the weekend in the mountains) and I plan to venture to the recreation pool for a pre-meet warmup. I'll look for you then.
    Thanks Mark. I have an international plan so will be checking email and texts. I will email you my cell and we will definitely connect. Sounds weird to say see you next weekend in Montreal.
    Nice workout! Glad to hear Abi is having fun! If you swim when you get back tomorrow let me know and I will join you. It's so funny though because everyone is used to you being early and the lifeguard feels bad because everyone is waiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by ndauksavage
    Nice workout! Glad to hear Abi is having fun! If you swim when you get back tomorrow let me know and I will join you. It's so funny though because everyone is used to you being early and the lifeguard feels bad because everyone is waiting.
    Will do.

That is funny. I actually meant to leave my key with your or Bill but forgot to before I left on Wednesday. Sorry.