View RSS Feed

After a long rest

Week 96 - Tuesday

Rate this Entry
I did not feel as good in the water today as yesterday. Not bad by any stretch but a little heavier in my legs. I dont think it helped that the pool was setup for scy either. I have not swum scy for quite a while(I recall one workout during our training week and I dont recall the last one prior to that). Today felt like 9 strokes and then I had to turn and after a while I felt dizzy. I had forgotten just how hard continually doing turns is. Its sort of funny really because when I first went back to LCM I found it hard too, so I am guessing they are both hard but in different ways.

We dropped yardage again today but did a broken 200 and two broken 100s from a dive. I worked these as hard as I could and had speed but just not that extra pickup I was hoping for. I still have 5 days before the 800 so I have time. More rest this week and next week will be fun.

Warm up
500 free with snorkel

Main sets
10x50 on :35
1x200 broken at 50,75,50,25 with 10 seconds after the 50s and 15 seconds after the 75
150 easy
6x50 finger tip drill on 1min
2x100 broken at 25,50,25 with 5 seconds after the 25 and 10 seconds after the 50
100 easy
6x100 kick descend 1-3 and 4-6 with 3 and 6 no harder than 90% on 2mins

Warm down
100 easy

Total 2650scy

I was holding 30s on the transition set today. On the broken 200 I was 1:50, but went out a little quick on the first 50(25 to my feet). On the broken 100s I was 49s but felt a little heavy. Tom said to see how I felt on the 100s and to do 1,2,or 3 based on how I felt. On the second 100 in particular my legs felt heavy so I did not do a third broken 100. The kicks I went 1:30,1:25,1:18 or round 1 and 1:30,1:24,1:20 on round 2.

Submit "Week 96 - Tuesday" to Digg Submit "Week 96 - Tuesday" to del.icio.us Submit "Week 96 - Tuesday" to StumbleUpon Submit "Week 96 - Tuesday" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

you do realize you kick almost as fast as me but WITHOUT FINS! What size shoe do you wear?!

I love SCY but I think I'm a better LCM swimmer, mostly b/c my turns blow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    you do realize you kick almost as fast as me but WITHOUT FINS! What size shoe do you wear?!

I know, he is a very fast kicker. S, I would lay off doing much kicking this week to rest the legs. I'm so excited to see how you and Mark do!
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat

I am 6'5" and have size 13 feet. Relative to my size my feet are not super huge.

The scary thing is that my daughter at 10 years of age has size 9 feet (in womens).

A number of my team mates use fins when they kick and I try to keep up with them; its always fun chasing a rabbit. I put a concerted effort into improving my kick since last summer and after a year I have seen big improvements.

I dont know if my turns suck, but I know that they could be better and I think this is going to be my next big area of focus for improvement, particularly my underwaters.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    I know, he is a very fast kicker. S, I would lay off doing much kicking this week to rest the legs. I'm so excited to see how you and Mark do!
    I have improved my kick for sure, but everytime I get in with the kids I am reminded of how much better my kick could be.

Thanks for the good advice. I emailed my coach this morning and asked that exact same thing.

Not getting too ahead of myself but looking forward, spring nationals in San Antonio are going to be a blast. I age up, and Mark and I get to race each other! Mark can probably atest to this but I think the 45-49 age group for men is unbelievably fast, and its going to be really fun to race Mark and the many other great swimmers in that age group. Cant wait!

First though we both have the matter of swimming great in Montreal. I am hopeful that we will both exceed our expectations.