View RSS Feed

After a long rest

Worlds Day 0

Rate this Entry
We arrived in Montreal at about 7:30pm last night and after getting out of the airport we caught a bus to the registration center. Before exiting the airport there is a booth that gives you the required bus pass to get to the registration center. It was pretty well marked and we had to present our registration info. The Instructions from Fina were to take bus 747 which does get you to the center but it stops 5 times. We took bus 714 which goes direct to the registration center. Registration was painless and then we walked from the Fairmont queen Elizabeth to the Sheraton where we are spending the week. We had a late dinner at the hotel which was excellent and then went to bed around 10pm. I slept like a baby until about 6:20 local time.

I had arranged to meet one of my team mates Bill Elizondo and Steve Unruh from Nitro in the Fairmont lobby. The three of us met at 9:15am and headed by metro to a 50 m pool at the JFK park that Steve had found. The pool was good but most importantly it was great to finally feel good in the water. No aches and pains finally. I clipped before I left Dallas and despite not the same feel as a shave it felt good. I ended up shaving my head in Dallas and even that made me feel good in the water. We did an easy 1000m made up of a warm up, some 50 drills a couple of build 50s and an easy warm down. After the swim we headed back to our respective hotels and families.

My family are going to the opening ceremony but I am going over to swim in the competition pool instead. This was not my original plan but timing does not work out to go to the opening ceremony and swim tonight. At least this way I get to swim and get to go to bed early tonight. I will likely shave so time today and will be ready to rumble tomorrow. Thunderstorms are supposed to come through tonight and fingers crossed there won't be any delays tomorrow. As Steve told me, you have to have flexible plans at these events and go with the flow. My only real fear is swimming at 10pm due to storm delays but fingers crossed that won't happen. Steve's other good idea was to be at the ready room at least 30 mins before your race even if it means going and see where they are and coming back.

I am am excited about the meet.

Submit "Worlds Day 0" to Digg Submit "Worlds Day 0" to del.icio.us Submit "Worlds Day 0" to StumbleUpon Submit "Worlds Day 0" to Google

Updated August 2nd, 2014 at 04:27 PM by StewartACarroll

Categories
2014 FINA World Championship

Comments

Sounds like a fun day! Hoping storms don't delay me any further!
    Stewart we arrived last night and traveled to Mont Tremblant for 2 nights. We'll get to Montreal tomorrow early afternoon. I was thinking of going to watch the 800s and try to warmup in the recreation pool. Do you think that pool will be way too crowded? Maybe I should bail and go to JFK instead? How far was that from the hotel?
    Quote Originally Posted by ndauksavage
    Sounds like a fun day! Hoping storms don't delay me any further!
    i hope you made it without any further delays.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    Stewart we arrived last night and traveled to Mont Tremblant for 2 nights. We'll get to Montreal tomorrow early afternoon. I was thinking of going to watch the 800s and try to warmup in the recreation pool. Do you think that pool will be way too crowded? Maybe I should bail and go to JFK instead? How far was that from the hotel?
    mark, I just got back from the competition pool and there were quite a few people there and if it anything to go by you can definitely swim and get a good warmup in. It's obviously hard to know what is going to happen tomorrow but a 50 meter warm up pool plus diving pool warmup is pretty awesome and suspect it will be fine. I don't know the hours for the JFK pool. Hopefully I will see you tomorrow or Monday. Fingers crossed the weather does not mess with any of your travel plans coming I to Montreal.
    Good luck Stewart! I'll be keeping my eye on the results.
    Good luck!
    May the force of all your excellent training in and out of the pool be with you. Have a blast!
    Good luck! Hope the weather holds and you finish at decent times every day.