View RSS Feed

After a long rest

Worlds day 1

Rate this Entry
I had a fairly good nights sleep last night. I had the normal wake up with butterflies and jitters periodically but overall it was not a bad nights sleep. The plan for the day was to eat a big breakfast, a light lunch and an energy bar before I swam plus lots and lots of fluid. One of my team mates was scheduled to swim at 1:30pm so a group of us headed to the pool for a warmup around 11am. After the warmup those of us on my team that were swimming the 800 headed back to there hotels for lunch and a rest. Bill texted and said that the meet was running an hour late. Bill also had an awesome swim and dropped almost a minute on his 800 going 10:31.

I headed back to the pool at around 4:30pm and hung out on deck for a while and then tried warming up; it was pretty crowded so it was impossible doing any pace work but I got about 1100 warmup in. I then had a walk over to the temp pool which was very nice but had a really long wait for my race. I was in the third from last heat in lane 2. I was determined to swim smart and build each 200. I felt good through 600 but started hurting and noticed I was shortening my stroke. My final time was 9:15 which was slower than I had hoped to go but a good solid time and I ended up placing second. The winner was 8:47 so there was no way I was going to swim that time today. Despite dieing I was proud I left everything in the pool and I was very happy with a silver in the 800m. I still have my best events to come later in the week and I am really enjoying having teammates at the meet. Tomorrow I have the 100 around 1:30pm. I need to be out fast but relaxed and come off that wall and nail the 50-75 in order to hit my goal time.

Submit "Worlds day 1" to Digg Submit "Worlds day 1" to del.icio.us Submit "Worlds day 1" to StumbleUpon Submit "Worlds day 1" to Google

Comments

Great job Stewart! Hviid is a two time oympian for spain and a former european 400 im long course champion.
    Stewart,

That sounds like a great start to the meet. Nice going!
    Woohoo! That is awesome, especially for a race coming so late in your regular day. You should be stoked for your other events.
    Nice swim, Stewart!

Any idea what Steve Unruh went? They don't have any results posted yet on the Worlds website.
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    Nice swim, Stewart!

Any idea what Steve Unruh went? They don't have any results posted yet on the Worlds website.
    i know Steve really well and we hung out together before the race. He was doing great but hit the physical wall at 600 and ended up going about 9:09. He was upset with his time. As you know he is in a hellacious age group and that placed him 4th. Calimasini won in 8:44.
    Quote Originally Posted by thewookiee
    Great job Stewart! Hviid is a two time oympian for spain and a former european 400 im long course champion.
    i have no complaints. He is a great swimmer for sure and that one hurt so I know I gave it my all.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Stewart,

That sounds like a great start to the meet. Nice going!
    thanks Patrick. I hung out with Kurt Dickson and Steve Unruh in the ready room before our swims. Kurt swam great and looked good the whole way.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Woohoo! That is awesome, especially for a race coming so late in your regular day. You should be stoked for your other events.
    thanks Leslie. I am a little tired and sore this morning but nothing the foam roller won't handle. I am definitely stoked and plan on having a great 100 today. I am so not a 100 swimmer but I love the idea of just going for it and seeing where that gets me. It will be fun.
    Great start to the week. Kick some tail today! I can't wait to hear how you do.
    Great swim Stewart. Good luck today. Stay out of the sun. It's brutal today!
    Great way to start the meet Stewart! That must have been tough waiting around all day and racing so late in the day. It's a sign that you had good management that you still had what you needed when you stepped up on the block.