View RSS Feed

After a long rest

Worlds day3

Rate this Entry
I had a restless nights sleep and could not stop thinking about how I felt after the 100. It really bothered me. I decided to meet a teammate who was swimming the 400IM early(6:15) and do a real warmup. This really helped but I was still feeling very stiff and very sore with little to no easy speed. After all my training and a good taper I was not expecting to die at the end of any of my races.

Despite the 200 being my best race I was on the fence about swimming it. My dilemma was do I scratch everything else except the 400 where I am ranked #2 or do I swim my races and let what happens happen. After speaking with my coach I decided to pull out of the 200 and rest up for the 400 on Saturday. After making this call I headed back to the hotel. My wife had arranged for me to get a massage at the hotel. The massage was much gentler than the one I had the other week and he focused on pressure points which within 5 mins felt awesome. Almost instant relief. After the massage I had a change of heart on the 200 and decided to swim it. After all the work I have put in my thought was that I need to swim it.

The race was weird in that 4 people in the final heat did not show and the center of the pool was empty so there were in effect two groups. I went out long and strong and felt good at 100. This feeling continued until about 135 where I started tightening up. The final turn went well and I came off the wall strong. I saw the leader pulling away and unfortunately I had nothing left. The final 25 was especially hard and when I finished I could not tell if I was 2nd or 4th. It felt like 3 of us finished in a line. It turned out I was 4th in 2:04.6 which is slower than I thought I would go but based on how I felt in the morning I was pleased and glad I swam it.


Last night one of my team mates Scott carpenter grabbed silver in the 50-54 50 fly and my friend Steve Unruh won the 45-49 50 fly. A great evening and it's always really good fun seeing your teammates and friends swimming well and getting what they deserve based on all the hard work they have put in.

After feeling sorry for myself after the 100 I have really picked myself up and I am really enjoying the meet. I am always my own worst critic but on this week I have come to the conclusion that I can't be upset with being in the top 10 in all my events. I have a lot to be thankful for. Tomorrow will be another good day.

Submit "Worlds day3" to Digg Submit "Worlds day3" to del.icio.us Submit "Worlds day3" to StumbleUpon Submit "Worlds day3" to Google

Comments

  1. The Fortress's Avatar
    So glad you swam the 200! And that is a very fast time. You and Mark/Water Rat are very much alike in terms of being very hard on yourself. I used to be that way too, but have really improved my attitude over the years.

    Are those best times? I bet they are!
  2. StewartACarroll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    So glad you swam the 200! And that is a very fast time. You and Mark/Water Rat are very much alike in terms of being very hard on yourself. I used to be that way too, but have really improved my attitude over the years.

    Are those best times? I bet they are!
    i agree that Mark and I are quite alike in being very critical on ourselves. I definitely always want to swim faster but on this occasion my big hang up was how bad I felt. I have never hurt during the first 25 in a 100. I think I need to look at my race schedule in future and think through what to do the day after a mile/1000/800. Sundays 800 hit me hard.

    I think it was a masters best time.
  3. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    i agree that Mark and I are quite alike in being very critical on ourselves. I definitely always want to swim faster but on this occasion my big hang up was how bad I felt. I have never hurt during the first 25 in a 100. I think I need to look at my race schedule in future and think through what to do the day after a mile/1000/800. Sundays 800 hit me hard.

    I think it was a masters best time.
    Probably a massage right away after those super long events!

    Mark took 3rd in the 5 breast so ended on a very high note!
  4. StewartACarroll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Probably a massage right away after those super long events!

    Mark took 3rd in the 5 breast so ended on a very high note!
    He texted me earlier and said he went 31.4 which is awesome. I did not know he got 3rd; that's even more exciting. He deserves that swim. He looked great in his 50 free too.
  5. pwb's Avatar
    Stewart,

    That is a very good 200 free (of course, a time I would love to see). I agree with Leslie that you're being a bit too hard on yourself. That's another great swim.