View RSS Feed

After a long rest

Worlds day 6&7

Rate this Entry
Friday was my day off from competition and I had a good night of sleep and a nice big breakfast. I had team mates swimming so headed to the pool to watch and cheer them on. My kids and a group of adults went to six flags for the day. They said it was extremely crowded but they had fun despite only managing a few rides due to the lines of people. After six flags my family I met up for dinner and we had a nice relaxing evening.

Saturday night I went to sleep very quickly but woke around 3am with butterflies in my stomach and thinking about my upcoming race. I laid in bed til about 6:30am before getting up for breakfast. My swim was scheduled for 3:00pm so headed over around noon for a warmup. After getting to the pool and warming up I had about an hour before I swam. One of my team mates was 9 heats before me so I got to see him swim another great swim and then got myself mentally ready. I felt really good in the warmup and felt good about how I was going to swim the race.

My my game plan was to swim a smooth but strong first 100, build the middle 200 and finish strong with strong legs the last 100. When I dove in I felt great and stuck to my game plan well. At 300 I was at least 2 body lengths clear of everyone else and at 350 I felt like I was again at least 2 body lengths clear. Coming down the final 50 I felt strong and when I hit wall for a moment I thought I had own only to see that the guy to my right had somehow caught me. I honestly could not believe that I had lost. I did not die and I was so far ahead how had I lost but i had.

After the warm down I started to feel better but this one is going to hurt for sometime. I am proud of getting silver but gold was right there. If only I had bilateral breathed I would have seen him coming. I can't change what happened and this will inspire me to go again.

Submit "Worlds day 6&7" to Digg Submit "Worlds day 6&7" to del.icio.us Submit "Worlds day 6&7" to StumbleUpon Submit "Worlds day 6&7" to Google

Updated August 10th, 2014 at 11:51 AM by StewartACarroll

Categories
2014 FINA World Championship

Comments

Did you see your 400 splits?
    Event 38, Men, 400m Freestyle, 40 - 44 years
    1. PEDRAZZOLI, Andrea 40 ITA Asd Leosport 4:27.47
    50m: 30.61 30.61 150m: 1:39.39 34.61 250m: 2:48.44 34.27 350m: 3:56.55 33.73
    100m: 1:04.78 34.17 200m: 2:14.17 34.78 300m: 3:22.82 34.38 400m: 4:27.47 30.92
    2. CARROLL, Stewart 44 USA Rockwall Aquatic Mas 4:28.08
    50m: 29.67 29.67 150m: 1:37.02 33.89 250m: 2:44.81 33.79 350m: 3:53.38 34.15
    100m: 1:03.13 33.46 200m: 2:11.02 34.00 300m: 3:19.23 34.42 400m: 4:28.08 34.70

You had that Pedrazzoli fellow at every split, building the lead to >3s at the 350, but he closed in 30. to your 34. Talk about "Sammy save up"!

It's been a lot of fun following your training and the meet this week. Those of us who did knew that you were going to have a good meet. Congratulations on your great placings. So you missed getting a gold, well that's just a little reminder to keep swimming so you don't lose all the wonderful benefits to your health you have gained since you started this up a few years ago. They are worth much more than a #1 placing. Maybe they will give you the opportunity to teach a grandchild how to swim.

Great swimming, and have a safe trip home.
    I echo what Karl says. It's been inspiring reading your blog this past year or so. Chalk it up to one of those competition experiences. And whether he was there or not you executed a great race which was also your race plan. That's exceptional.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    Did you see your 400 splits?
    Event 38, Men, 400m Freestyle, 40 - 44 years
    1. PEDRAZZOLI, Andrea 40 ITA Asd Leosport 4:27.47
    50m: 30.61 30.61 150m: 1:39.39 34.61 250m: 2:48.44 34.27 350m: 3:56.55 33.73
    100m: 1:04.78 34.17 200m: 2:14.17 34.78 300m: 3:22.82 34.38 400m: 4:27.47 30.92
    2. CARROLL, Stewart 44 USA Rockwall Aquatic Mas 4:28.08
    50m: 29.67 29.67 150m: 1:37.02 33.89 250m: 2:44.81 33.79 350m: 3:53.38 34.15
    100m: 1:03.13 33.46 200m: 2:11.02 34.00 300m: 3:19.23 34.42 400m: 4:28.08 34.70

You had that Pedrazzoli fellow at every split, building the lead to >3s at the 350, but he closed in 30. to your 34. Talk about "Sammy save up"!

It's been a lot of fun following your training and the meet this week. Those of us who did knew that you were going to have a good meet. Congratulations on your great placings. So you missed getting a gold, well that's just a little reminder to keep swimming so you don't lose all the wonderful benefits to your health you have gained since you started this up a few years ago. They are worth much more than a #1 placing. Maybe they will give you the opportunity to teach a grandchild how to swim.

Great swimming, and have a safe trip home.
    thanks Karl. I have thoroughly enjoyed being back in the pool and no matter what this is the beginning of my journey and not the end. I am heading upto Quebec City with the family for a short vacation and then I will do some new goal setting when I get home. I have a lot to be thankful for and despite this one hurting the whole event was awesome.

Both my kids saw my swim yesterday and my daughter even cried at the end which was very sweet. I used the opportunity last night to talk to her about learning more from disappointment than from success and out of this I/we will be a better swimmer(s). It was a very special discussion I will cherish for a while and one I hope she learns and applies.

Anyhow off to my vacation.

I will be back swimming again next week. I am excited already!
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    I echo what Karl says. It's been inspiring reading your blog this past year or so. Chalk it up to one of those competition experiences. And whether he was there or not you executed a great race which was also your race plan. That's exceptional.
    Thanks so much Mark. I am heading to Quebec City for a few days R&R with my family which will be fun.

I will sit down with my coach when I get back and discuss what we can apply from the long list of experiences from this meet toward next season. Obviously the outcome of the 400 was very disappointing because I was so close but I will survive and be a better person for the experience. I had a blast at the meet and I already know my first goal is to use this event as a recruiting tool at our club to get more swimmers to Nationals.

I hope you had a safe trip home and you had an awesome meet. I can't wait to race you at Nationals. Patrick and I may have to twist your arm hard to swim the 500 at Nationals. It will be fun! We will leave that conversation for another day.
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    I hope you had a safe trip home and you had an awesome meet. I can't wait to race you at Nationals. Patrick and I may have to twist your arm hard to swim the 500 at Nationals. It will be fun! We will leave that conversation for another day.
    Ha. I'll swim the 500 if you swim the 50 breast!
    "I used the opportunity last night to talk to her about learning more from disappointment than from success and out of this I/we will be a better swimmer(s). It was a very special discussion I will cherish for a while and one I hope she learns and applies."
    Reading your report on this last race made me tear up a bit, if only because this particular adventure has come to an end, but talking to your daughter about it really misted up the eyes. It's such a great teaching experience (for you both), but at the same time, it's probably a little self-talk at the same time.

You had a great meet, sir! Very proud of you and I echo what some of the others have said about enjoying reading your progress over time and learning a ton from you along the way.

Enjoy your vacation and get some relax time!
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    Ha. I'll swim the 500 if you swim the 50 breast!
    Does that deal apply to me, as well
    Stewart,

That was a great swim to close out your great meet. I know you didn't achieve all that you wanted to, but you did achieve A LOT.

Enjoy Quebec City - I found it absolutely gorgeous when I was there in March one year; I have to believe it is even better in the summer time.

See you in San Antonio for sure.
    You are channeling Michael Phelps -- inspired by adversity. Seriously though, great swim and great meet! Enjoy your down time!
    Great swim Stewart - you split it perfectly. Not sure what Pedrazzoli was thinking, but it was one heck of final 50m to catch you, if that's any consolation. We honeymooned (in part) in Quebec 40 years ago, and it is a beautiful city, so enjoy. Hope your French is up to speed.