View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Thursday-Sunday, Aug. 15-17

Rate this Entry

Thursday: Swim/LCM @ North Park

I did what Water Rat refers to an as overnight double. After swimming with Sewy last night I ventured out to North Park the next morning. I was enticed by the prospect of swimming with two of my Pitt swimmers rather than going solo. I also decided to have a mega kick day to give my shoulder a real rest. Did the following:

500 various
5 x 100 @ 2:00
-- I did 25 UW SDK + 75 either free or back kick
1 x 50 EZ
1 x 500 negative split
-- I kicked, such a freaking long way
1 x 50 EZ
5 x 100, descend to fast @ :15 rest
-- did backstroke kick
1 x 50 EZ
10 x 50 @ :20 rest
odds = fast dolphin kick
evens = EZ kick
1 x 50 EZ
2 x (3 x 100)
1 = 25 fast + 25 EZ + 25 fast + 25 EZ
2 = same
3 = EZ
100 EZ

Total: 3400 m

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Friday: Swim /SCY @ Oak Marr

I was in NoVa on Friday night and was able to get together with our long lost Speedo. He is recovering from a nasty mountain bike accident and has been in the water a little. We warmed up, did a social kick and then I did some more easy swimming with some non fin shooters. Total: 2000, all easy recovery stuff

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sunday ocean swim:

I took Saturday off to drive to the beach. I plan on having an easy week here. But I did jog down to the pier and did the pier to pier swim. It's 1.4 miles, but I got tossed around so much that it was prolly more like 2 miles. I may make it down to the Y at some point. OW swimming is just too dull for me!

Submit "Thursday-Sunday, Aug. 15-17" to Digg Submit "Thursday-Sunday, Aug. 15-17" to del.icio.us Submit "Thursday-Sunday, Aug. 15-17" to StumbleUpon Submit "Thursday-Sunday, Aug. 15-17" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

I was surprised to see your daughter's name in the Nationals results and not yours. I would have thought that pool would be ideal for you: indoors, same time zone. How come you didn't attend?
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    I was surprised to see your daughter's name in the Nationals results and not yours. I would have thought that pool would be ideal for you: indoors, same time zone. How come you didn't attend?
    Ali only decided at the last minute to swim. She's still recovering from shoulder surgery and still in pain and is not swimming much.

I do love that pool -- one of my favorites. I didn't sign up bc I figured I'd be too out of shape after goofing off for awhile and then being out of the water for 17 days. Plus, our beach rental started the Sat of nationals. In retrospect, I prolly could have done a couple 50s. I just didn't fancy showing up at nationals and swimming poorly.
    I know an OW swim maybe you might like. It's closest thing OW, to sprinting I can think of. There's a structure about 40m from shore in a out 10 feet of clear water, and the wooden platform just happens to be very similar to a starting block. I did a few workouts there doing several AFAP blasts with easy backstroke back to the structure. If you ever stop by Aruba.

But for the general OW swimming I've tried, it's not for me as well. After a few minutes I would be 90 degrees off target and would furthermore have to roll on my back because my shoulders are toasted.

Just moving around recreationally with fins and snorkel is more fun
    Updated August 18th, 2014 at 05:02 PM by __steve__
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    I just didn't fancy showing up at nationals and swimming poorly.
    Makes sense.